Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think sponsors should support Paula Deen?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 91 Replies

Paula Deen’s Sponsors: Who’s In, Who’s Out & Who’s on the Fence?

by Lindsay Mannering

paula deenPaula Deen's apology for her alleged racist remarks isn't sitting well with most people, including those who pay her bills. Not only has The Food Network fired the southern cook, but many, many other sponsors are cutting ties with the disgraced Deen, as well.

There are, however, a few partners that are standing by Paula. Apparently unfazed by her supposed sexual and racial discrimination, these companies are like, But come on, y'all! She apologized!

Here's a handy breakdown:

Those who've said "thanks but no thanks" to Paula are: The Food Network, Smithfield (the pork company who features Paula's face on their hams), and QVC.

Those who are "monitoring the situation closely" before deciding whether or not to fire her: Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney, Target, Sears, KMart, which carry Paula's retail line of cookware; Random House, which is set to release Paula's book in October; Caesars Entertainment, her restaurant parent company that owns her eateries in Vegas; and Hoffman Media, which publishes Deen's magazine.

Those who still see Paula Deen as a "winner winner chicken dinner": Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, which hosts a Paula Deen Cruise; the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show, which enjoys success from her as a presenter; and Vicroza Brand, a company that sells the diabetes medicine Novo Nordisk, of which Deen is the spokesperson.

It's up to each individual company as to the association they do or don't want with Paula, but it seems like risky business, literally, to continue a professional relationship with Deen.

That said, cruise ships and big pharma are known to have very different standards than other companies (poopy walls, anyone?), so perhaps it's not surprising that these groups are sticking with the accused chef.

But! There were lines out the door at her restaurant in Georgia over the weekend ...

Perhaps Paula's supporters are more numerous than we think.

Do you think sponsors should support Paula Deen?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
5 moms liked this

Good thing this article isn't biased.

After reading the initial complaint and her depositon it is my opinion there is a witch hunt going on.  The actual complaint is against another corporation, not her corp.  I don't see a judge allowing this to go forward.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

She's a public figure and the negative publicity could cause a huge financial loss. So no I don't think they should. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree.  It is about her brother, but she has the money, so she has to be sued.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

After reading the initial complaint and her depositon it is my opinion there is a witch hunt going on.  The actual complaint is against another corporation, not her corp.  I don't see a judge allowing this to go forward.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I think what's happening to her is what happen to any person involved in a scandal.
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

She looks bad as hell right now, I don't blame the sponsors that dropped her.  She is damaging to their brand right now.  I also don't blame the sponsors who are monitoring the situation closely to see what comes of this mess. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I agree.  It is about her brother, but she has the money, so she has to be sued.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Oh yes, a suit must have deep pockets from which to withdraw the sizeable attorney's fees.

If this is allowed to go forward then any stockholder of a company could be sued....the next time a Boeing plane crashes a victim could sue me...I own stock and I do have a few things worth taking.  I don't see it advancing very far...especially considering their are no EEOC complaints.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tiffyhamm:

She looks bad as hell right now, I don't blame the sponsors that dropped her.  She is damaging to their brand right now.  I also don't blame the sponsors who are monitoring the situation closely to see what comes of this mess. 

They are damaging their own brand.  This is ONE allegation by a former employee of a DIFFERENT company.  There are no EEOC complaints.  Firing someone on such a thread is ridiculous.

olliesmommy2
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Ive just gotten lost in all of this. It seems there isnt enough factual information to be slaying her over.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Business is business.

I would not want her face on my product-

tanyainmizzou
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

What if it turns out none of the allegations are as they are being reported?

Quoting Sisteract:

Business is business.

I would not want her face on my product-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)