Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being defenseless.....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 65 Replies

So after reading the replies in some threads today I am really at a loss. I have to say that I am SO disppointed. That being said, I have a question that I want an honest answer to. WHY is it ever ok to be totally defenseless? I don't just mean a gun or knife either. If those things are illegal in your state/country then other self defense tools or training are still available. Is it laziness? Belief that nothing will ever happen to you? General lack of give a shit? WHAT? I cannot undertsand how SO many strong, amazing women seem totally ok with admitting defeat and letting some scum do whatever he wants because they think self defense is futile. That makes my heart truly sad. So if you are totally against self protection and lack any ability to protect yourself at any given moment I want to know why? Not bashing here. I just want to know why.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
5 moms liked this
I am as much at a loss by people who think they are able to cope with ANY situation. It's easy sitting in our comfortable homes, safe and sound to say 'she could have, she should have, *I* would have...' but another thing to actually be in that situation.

The responses you get will be as individual as each woman in each situation with their own personal histories. Perhaps what you consider defenseless or letting them do what they want, is reacting appropriately to the situation FOR THEM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no ability to prepare for every situation. But doing your best to prepare for anything that might arise is common sense to me. I HAVE been in a situation where I had to respond and I did. However I did so out of panic and just happened to be right. THAT was when I chose to get the training to know what the hell I was doing. And I'm sorry but making zero effort to be able to protect oneself is not reacting appropriately to the situation. Sometimes it IS better to appear like you are going to go along with the attacker but that is only to mask the real plan. Self defense(with and without a weapon) is something no one should grow to adulthood without.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I am as much at a loss by people who think they are able to cope with ANY situation. It's easy sitting in our comfortable homes, safe and sound to say 'she could have, she should have, *I* would have...' but another thing to actually be in that situation.

The responses you get will be as individual as each woman in each situation with their own personal histories. Perhaps what you consider defenseless or letting them do what they want, is reacting appropriately to the situation FOR THEM.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I was taught to fight like a man and if it comes to it fight dirty as heck because you never want to be the person down in your knees or back. I have won every fight I have ever been in with a man or women. I refuse to get beat by anyone and this is from experience. I was raised in a family of girls but the boys taught me well and three years of football taught me how to eat pain. I feel like as a women you have to learn to fight properly and you should know how to protect your self especially when all you have is your hands and feet
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
4 moms liked this
Huh?
It sounds like you have a skewed idea of the world.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

To me this makes sense. Maybe you didn't pay for classes but someone taught you and you know what works. You have an OPTION other than being the victim. Good for you!

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I was taught to fight like a man and if it comes to it fight dirty as heck because you never want to be the person down in your knees or back. I have won every fight I have ever been in with a man or women. I refuse to get beat by anyone and this is from experience. I was raised in a family of girls but the boys taught me well and three years of football taught me how to eat pain. I feel like as a women you have to learn to fight properly and you should know how to protect your self especially when all you have is your hands and feet

LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Not sure what you mean? People are victimized every day in good neighborhoods and bad alike. The only one you(and your kids) can truly depend on is you. So why not make yourself a not so easy victim?

Quoting Momniscient:

Huh?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM
6 moms liked this

I have never, on this site or otherwise, heard any one, men or women, think it is okay to let some one do whatever he/she wants to them because they think self defense is futile.

Try again....................

I have never known any one to be against self protection.

Try again...................

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry you feel victimized everyday. I don't.

Why would you assume I am an 'easy' victim? I also don't rely in a false sense of security.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Not sure what you mean? People are victimized every day in good neighborhoods and bad alike. The only one you(and your kids) can truly depend on is you. So why not make yourself a not so easy victim?

Quoting Momniscient:

Huh?

lancet98
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you explain the exact events that led you to believe that everyone should carry a gun or knife or some sort of defense?

I prefer prevention to carrying a weapon.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Your idea of being 'ready' and others idea of being 'ready' to defend themselves may vary.  But because not  every one totes a gun with them 24/7 you are under the wrong, and asinine, assumption, that that individual is not prepared.

Be careful, one lesson you do not want to have to learn the hard way is being over confident or arrogant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)