Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Southern Racism

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 181 Replies

The Paula Deen discussions have me thinking about Southern racism.

Some of the people responding are saying that because of where she's from and her age that saying the "n" word is not unusual, and should not be unexpected.  Some people have just said it's a product of the place, that this goes on in the South often.

So my question is....do you think there is this undercurrent of racism in the South more so than in other places, and if so, do you think that's an excuse for someone who lives there to be part of that culture?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenie63
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
6 moms liked this

Racism is never ok regardless of where someone lives. I think you hit it with the term "undercurrent." It's there but people will deny it. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I've never lived in the South.  I cannot say, with any personal experience, one way or another.

I do understand, even if I may disagree, that there are those who are older who grew up thinking the word was, in any way, acceptable.  Some will always feel that way, stemming from their own personal view point.  

Thankfully my parents did not raise of with the thought that using such language, or determining a person's worth was based on the color of their skin, was the way to go.

From what I have heard over my life, it does seem the South, areas of the South, is still steeped in racism.  

coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Not a excuse! Or age!
Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I find that argument to be ridiculously asinine. We expect people from the south to be racist? WHAT?!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Racism is not okay regardless of where you live.  To use where you live as an excuse is pathetic and a total cop out.

codfish
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM
8 moms liked this
As a southerner I know of which I speak. People have said repeatedly that it is a product of her age, and the fact that yes many years ago it was common in the south. It was said up north as well. Is it common now? About as common as someone being called retarded. She is a much older southern woman. No one, regardless of where the are from, can honestly say they never used the word. I am so sick of people just wanting southerners to be back woods, racists.
KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM
8 moms liked this

Absolutely not!  I currently live in Georgia, but was raised in Ohio and have visited over 35 states.  Racism and bigotry are EVERYWHERE.    The stereotype of the South being more backward that the rest of the country is crazy.   There are ignorant people in every part of the US as well as the world.   The only group that promotes the uuse of the 'n' word and accepts it is the black rap and urban community.  98% of the white people in this area are no more racist than their black, Asian or Indian neighbors.  

babyblue415
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

the still have slaves so uhm. i guess its current for deep southerners. or so i heard. could be a trolll lol i've never been down south. i dont even know why i commented. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's the South, I think it's just a generational thing. My grandparents lived in Iowa their entire lives and use racial slurs. My husband's grandparents are from central Ohio and they did too. 

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KenneMaw:

Absolutely not!  I currently live in Georgia, but was raised in Ohio and have visited over 35 states.  Racism and bigotry are EVERYWHERE.    The stereotype of the South being more backward that the rest of the country is crazy.   There are ignorant people in every part of the US as well as the world.   The only group that promotes the uuse of the 'n' word and accepts it is the black rap and urban community.  98% of the white people in this area are no more racist than their black, Asian or Indian neighbors.  

My husband found himself in a small Mom and Pop store right after Maine used a Peoples Veto to legalize gay marriage. He said he was floored by the horrible things they were saying in there. He also said I would have left in handcuffs if I had been there. lol This is Maine. We are not known for our discrimination or bigoted attitudes. It is everywhere!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN