Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Are Y'All Afraid Of?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 86 Replies
10 moms liked this

I keep reading and hearing here and elsewhere that people don't want to have to explain homosexuality to their kids or grandkids.  My question is: What's the big deal?

My son was the one to ask me what "gay" was.  He was probably 4 or 5 at the time.  I don't honestly recall how it came up.  All I remember is that we were up at my parents' house.  Anyway, he says, "Mommy, what does being gay mean?"  I said, "It's when two men or two women love eachother in the way that Mommy and Daddy love eachother."  His response was, "Oh.  Can we play on the slip 'n' slide now?"  It was really no big deal.

So, what are y'all afraid of?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
10 moms liked this

My 4 year old saw 2 men together...she asked why they were together...I told her sometimes 2 men or 2 women love each other like mommy and daddy do...

Bam...discussion over...children aren't naturally intolerant or cruel...that's learned behaviour...

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

EXACTLY!  It isn't this big traumatic thing. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

My 4 year old saw 2 men together...she asked why they were together...I told her sometimes 2 men or 2 women love each other like mommy and daddy do...

Bam...discussion over...children aren't naturally intolerant or cruel...that's learned behaviour...

AMBG825
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
When my youngest asked what gay meant she heard it in a Christmas carol. I told her of meant "happy". DH's best friend is gay and she still tells him all the time he's a happy person because he loves her "uncle P"
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I have no idea what people are afraid of.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's because they are so filled with hate and fear that if their child even hears of the existence of homosexuality, they will "poof" become gay.  Then their child will be what they hate most.  I think most of those same people would not tell their kids about black people if there was a chance you could turn black.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I don;t have a clue what all the fuss is about!

BTW: I had a similar "talk" with my little ones and it went just like yours.

caito
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

It makes them personally uncomfortable. It's probably the same reason why some parents are afraid to explain puberty and periods to their daughters. They give them "The Beautiful Flower" book or some shit and never speak of it again.

They're scared. Plain and simple.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I explained to my kids the same way and they said, "Oh, okay." And that was seriously it,lol.

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids accepted love in all forms from an early age, I didn't even had to explain it. A loving, kind heart accepts everyone, loves everyone... Only people with hardened hearts have a difficult time with this.. Some day they will realize that it's not about them, that after all said and done "liberty and justice for all" is what matters most.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think it. Stems from it. Not being a simple "they love each other" answer because for them it isn't "love" it's "sin"... It's the same as wanting to protect your kids from watching someone shoot up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)