Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sikh couple kicked out of theater due to religious item

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 67 Replies

EMERYVILLE, CA - A Sacramento man said he and his wife were asked to leave a movie theater because company policy considers his religious item a weapon.

Manjot Singh took his wife to see Man of Steel at an Emeryville AMC theater Saturday night. When he went to buy snacks, he saidsecurity guards watched him closely for several minutes.

Then, a manager approached him.

"He's like 'I understand you're carrying a weapon.' And you know I say, 'I have an article of faith, a religious symbol, it's not a weapon.' And he says, 'Yeah, I know all about Sikhs, but we have a zero-tolerance policy so I'm going to have to ask you to leave or relinquish your weapon,'" Singh described.

Singh said he was wearing his kirpan underneath his shirt, out of sight. A kirpan is a short cermonial dagger worn by baptized Sikhs and is one of five articles of faith worn by Sikhs.

An AMC spokesperson confirms the company asked Singh to leave because of the policy, but he said a security guard and the manager saw the kirpan unsheathed.

AMC released the following statement regarding the incident:

"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theatres. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff.  The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathedknife, in clear violation of our rules. We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility, and we take it very seriously."

AMC said the manager asked Singh to follow the policy, or leave. Singh maintained he was carrying a religious item, not a weapon.

"I was surprised, not only did our night get ruined, but it felt kind of really racist, the way we were treated and kind of kicked out," Singh said.

AMC gave Singh a refund, but he hopes the company will apologize and change the policy to allow religious items like a kirpan into their theaters.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

OMG!! I'm so sick of this $hit. How did anyone know he was carrying his "article of faith"? Was it in full view? NOBODY should be allowed to carry a knife/gun/blade WHATEVER you want to call it into a public place.

And he feels singled out... give me an f-in break!

doomsie
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
5 moms liked this
Religous item or not, it is still a weapon. Follow the rules like everyone else. He isn't to be an exception....
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Is he required by his religion to carry it at all times? What if he goes swimming?

It's still a weapon. What prevents Joe Nut job from dressing as a Sikh for the purpose of getting a knife in some place where no one else has a weapon so he can kill people?
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

yes, they are required to carry it every where.

Quoting MamaJess9:

Is he required by his religion to carry it at all times? What if he goes swimming?

It's still a weapon. What prevents Joe Nut job from dressing as a Sikh for the purpose of getting a knife in some place where no one else has a weapon so he can kill people?

MissTacoBell
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
6 moms liked this
I actually know this guy. Century theaters up here let him see it free.

And he's not pissed off about the policy as much as the contention that they saw it unsheathed. It's got a safety cover so it CAN'T be unsheathed. So yeah, the guard and manager lied out their asses.
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
That is what I was.wondering about. Most are not usuable as a weapon and purely symbolic.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I actually know this guy. Century theaters up here let him see it free.

And he's not pissed off about the policy as much as the contention that they saw it unsheathed. It's got a safety cover so it CAN'T be unsheathed. So yeah, the guard and manager lied out their asses.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this

How did they even know he had it on him in the first place if it was worn under his shirt?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

so no-one is allowed to carry a pocket knife in the theater. This is rediculously wrong of the movie theater, racism at it's best - and racism from the ladies on this thread who are ignorant of what this symbol measn

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

did you even read the article? he was wearing it under his shirt. 

Quoting happinessforyou:

OMG!! I'm so sick of this $hit. How did anyone know he was carrying his "article of faith"? Was it in full view? NOBODY should be allowed to carry a knife/gun/blade WHATEVER you want to call it into a public place.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

why did you put the words article of faith in quotes? 

Quoting happinessforyou:

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)