Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sikh couple kicked out of theater due to religious item

Posted by   + Show Post

EMERYVILLE, CA - A Sacramento man said he and his wife were asked to leave a movie theater because company policy considers his religious item a weapon.

Manjot Singh took his wife to see Man of Steel at an Emeryville AMC theater Saturday night. When he went to buy snacks, he saidsecurity guards watched him closely for several minutes.

Then, a manager approached him.

"He's like 'I understand you're carrying a weapon.' And you know I say, 'I have an article of faith, a religious symbol, it's not a weapon.' And he says, 'Yeah, I know all about Sikhs, but we have a zero-tolerance policy so I'm going to have to ask you to leave or relinquish your weapon,'" Singh described.

Singh said he was wearing his kirpan underneath his shirt, out of sight. A kirpan is a short cermonial dagger worn by baptized Sikhs and is one of five articles of faith worn by Sikhs.

An AMC spokesperson confirms the company asked Singh to leave because of the policy, but he said a security guard and the manager saw the kirpan unsheathed.

AMC released the following statement regarding the incident:

"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theatres. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff.  The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathedknife, in clear violation of our rules. We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility, and we take it very seriously."

AMC said the manager asked Singh to follow the policy, or leave. Singh maintained he was carrying a religious item, not a weapon.

"I was surprised, not only did our night get ruined, but it felt kind of really racist, the way we were treated and kind of kicked out," Singh said.

AMC gave Singh a refund, but he hopes the company will apologize and change the policy to allow religious items like a kirpan into their theaters.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (61-67):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM

so you want to profile members of a peaceful religion to screen for a weapon small enough for ANYONE to conceal?

Quoting ShadowLark:

Quoting boobarandbell:

man one is in a movie theater, wearing a kirpan, claiming to be a Sikhas, and wearing it for religion. His intentions are pure and for the sake of his religion. 

man two is in a movie theater, wearing a kirpan, claiming to be a Sikhas, and wearing it for religion. His intentions are to murder innocent, gulliable patrons. 

How, are everyday people like a manager or security guard, or movie patron, even with knowlegde of this religion, are they suppose to know who's telling the truth? It does not seem unbelieveable to me at all that a crazy person would try to dress up like a person of religion and go into a public place, like a movie theater, and cause harm to others. 

This is why I think that until we find a WAY better way of dealing with the evil men, we need to force Sikhs to wear the dummy knives in public.  And by force, I mean check the knife as they walk in.  If it's real, they need to go home and change it out for the dummy knife.  That way, the truly Religious are protected.  They can still wear their kirpan, but the loonies trying to fake it to cause harm to others get stopped.

And just to make it fair, that goes for pocket knives, too.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

prommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Quoting glitterteaz:

Kinda hard to hide your Sikh 

Quoting prommy:

Maybe he should have kept it concealed a little better? You can't expect everyone to understand that it is only ceremonial, to some it would just look like a knife. 

I responded to my own comment yesterday, I read something into the article that wasn't there. I thought it said the kirpan was visible.

loisl515
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Now I am not familiar with this symbolic religious item. This is the first I have ever heard of it. That being said if it just some replica of a weapon and not something that could actually be used to harm another then yes it is discrimination and it is stupid that it is even an issue.

On the other hand if it an actual weapon and can be used to harm someone well hey rules are rules. If they have a zero tolerence policy for weapons then that should include all weapons and religion should not be used as a free pass to be excluded from the rules.

Just goes to show ya discrimination is prevalent in the world.  Just like Muslims are profiled, black ppl, silks, hispanics, gay, are profiled and killed.  Trayvon Martin was profiled and murdered.  Sometimes people are profiled because of the garments, hoodies, garb and headscarfs, and his/her beliefs..  I think racism is alive and well.  It will continue if one doesn't stan up 4 whats right.  How abot you?  Good day. 

muslimah
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Quoting loisl515:

Quoting muslimah:

Now I am not familiar with this symbolic religious item. This is the first I have ever heard of it. That being said if it just some replica of a weapon and not something that could actually be used to harm another then yes it is discrimination and it is stupid that it is even an issue.

On the other hand if it an actual weapon and can be used to harm someone well hey rules are rules. If they have a zero tolerence policy for weapons then that should include all weapons and religion should not be used as a free pass to be excluded from the rules.

Just goes to show ya discrimination is prevalent in the world.  Just like Muslims are profiled, black ppl, silks, hispanics, gay, are profiled and killed.  Trayvon Martin was profiled and murdered.  Sometimes people are profiled because of the garments, hoodies, garb and headscarfs, and his/her beliefs..  I think racism is alive and well.  It will continue if one doesn't stan up 4 whats right.  How abot you?  Good day. 

Yes I will agree that it is alive and well. That being said I don't know what this thing actually is or what it could be used for so I can't for sure say that it is discrimination or not just like I don't know that Trayvon was profiled either because I don't exactly what really went on that night.

Mommyzlovez
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I know how it feels to feel singled out try working in the public eye as  Christian and dare to say Merry CHristmas, just do it and see how angry and how loud someone can curse you in 2 seconds flat! But still if it was in plain veiw or could be seen somehow then you cant be singled out but if it wasnt veiwable then maybe he was, all in all religous to one person is not so to others as I have learned in the work place, in my own country. SO as much as I hate it statment of faith or not if it can be used as a weapon (no thtat this man would have as it is sacreed to him and his faith) then in lose and general terms its a weapon. There are similar items of faith for other faiths that you would not be able to carry. 

Mommyzlovez
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

ALL people are discriminated against im a Christian and my dad a Preacher, and my very name means Christ follower as does my oldest born..and my word if I dare slip up at Christmas time and say Merry Christmas to a random stranger I will get my head handed to me. Now I am not meaning it in a mean way ro trying to convert someone or make them mad it is just apart of me and as normal as breathing to say it, however even though I have freedom of speech I STILL will get yelled at and even had a lady want to punch me, I worked as a trainer at a resturant I trained others in customer service an dwiht out thinking said Merry CHristmas in just passing. Yeah NOT FUN..and yes it hurts, I have friends of all faiths, Nuslims, Buddist, Hindu, Pagan and once a week we all comapre notes you could say over coffee LOL. Someday I want to just tell the next person who finds issue with me, " You know kiss it" but I wont, instead I will pray for them...now thats hard to do turning the other cheek! I pray this man and his wife fins comfort in doing so and that I hope he wasnt singled out.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting loisl515:

Quoting muslimah:

Yes I will agree that it is alive and well. That being said I don't know what this thing actually is or what it could be used for so I can't for sure say that it is discrimination or not just like I don't know that Trayvon was profiled either because I don't exactly what really went on that night.

muslimah
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Quoting Mommyzlovez:

ALL people are discriminated against im a Christian and my dad a Preacher, and my very name means Christ follower as does my oldest born..and my word if I dare slip up at Christmas time and say Merry Christmas to a random stranger I will get my head handed to me. Now I am not meaning it in a mean way ro trying to convert someone or make them mad it is just apart of me and as normal as breathing to say it, however even though I have freedom of speech I STILL will get yelled at and even had a lady want to punch me, I worked as a trainer at a resturant I trained others in customer service an dwiht out thinking said Merry CHristmas in just passing. Yeah NOT FUN..and yes it hurts, I have friends of all faiths, Nuslims, Buddist, Hindu, Pagan and once a week we all comapre notes you could say over coffee LOL. Someday I want to just tell the next person who finds issue with me, " You know kiss it" but I wont, instead I will pray for them...now thats hard to do turning the other cheek! I pray this man and his wife fins comfort in doing so and that I hope he wasnt singled out.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting loisl515:

Quoting muslimah:

You know I think the whole Christmas thing is really stupid. I work in a Muslim establishment where we are all Muslims and at Christmas we put up a tree and decorate and wish our customers a merry Christmas because allot ( not all) but allot of out customers are Christians and we want them to feel comfortable when they visit our establishment. Every year when this big argument about merry Christmas comes up I can't help but think what a waste of time and energy it is to make an issue of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)