Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

South African Town Wants To Preserve Its “Whiteness” & Segregation

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 18 Replies

South African Town Wants To Preserve Its Whiteness & Segregation

Kleinfontein is a town of 1,000 residents outside of Pretoria, South Africa. All 1000 of these residents are white, and if they have it their way, it’s going to stay that way. Kleinfontein has been in existence since 1992, and is heavily guarded by their own security people and a fence surrounds its almost 2,000 acres. The people in this community take “pride” in the fact that they are upholding their culture and refuse to assimilate, no matter how racist others seem to think it is.

“We feel that our culture is being threatened and we want to protect it and we want to nurture it,” said Marisa Haasbroek, a writer and mother who serves as voluntary spokeswoman for a gated community called Kleinfontein.

There are also residents who feel threatened by the mere existence of black people and their ability to ruin a country.

Johan Foley, a former bank manager, did not mince his words about why he moved to Kleinfontein about 20 years ago.

“We are worrying about black people,” said Foley, 76.

“Every time they get their hands on something, it is going bankrupt, there are troubles,” he said. “White people gave them clothes, an education.”

Gave. “them”. Clothes.

“Since 1994, since black people are taking over this country, everything has gone wrong,” Foley said.

It’s times like this where I would just say fuck it. Let the racist ingrates have their little town. Why would anyone want to be 10 feet near them anyways?

But there are people in South Africa that strongly oppose Kleinfontein and their little enclave of hate.

NBC News reports that in May, a black man was blocked from buying a house there. Demonstrators protested outside its gates and local officials launched an investigation of the community, saying discrimination on the basis of language, race and color is illegal.

“The fact that there are children growing up there and being indoctrinated with hateful ideology that paints all black people as criminals, that really concerns me,” said Czerina Patel, a South African journalist who is the executive director of Yenza, a charity that works with disadvantaged young people.

“The bottom line is [if a non-white] Afrikaans-speaking person wanted to live there they couldn’t,” she added.

"Keinfontein has been criticized for its policy of barring all Jews, Catholics, non-Afrikaan speakers, and blacks from settling in the community. Protests were held in May 2013 when the community denied the application of a black man to buy a home in the community.[6][7][8] The community has also been criticized by the South African government for engaging in practices that once led to a "divided South Africa."[9]

Residents of the community defend their practice by saying that they are defending their own separate cultural identity.[10][11]

Some residents of the community have also objected to the "restricted" nature of the community which prevents them from selling their home to the buyer of their choice."

Should this town be allowed to preserve its “whiteness” & segregation?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

preserve it into oblivion. How sad is this but just know, it is the extreme minority in South Africa

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Sad to say, but this is not the extreme minority of white people in SA. I've spent a fair amount of time there, and the racism was shocking. Not all white South Africans are like that, of course; I have good friends who aren't. But there are still enough people who think this way that it's important to address stuff like this head-on.

Quoting mikiemom:

preserve it into oblivion. How sad is this but just know, it is the extreme minority in South Africa

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Assuming your are in the US (if not, forgive me) but would you say the racism in SA is more overt and blunt than here?

Quoting Aestas:

Sad to say, but this is not the extreme minority of white people in SA. I've spent a fair amount of time there, and the racism was shocking. Not all white South Africans are like that, of course; I have good friends who aren't. But there are still enough people who think this way that it's important to address stuff like this head-on.

Quoting mikiemom:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My son's favorite past au Pair / Nanny was mixed race South Africa, all of her friends from South Africa, white, Native, and mixed seemed so nice and they all got along. I do know there are racial issues in the country and I worry for her safety, and I hope she is not telling me stories about things getting better just to allay my fears. She is from Knizna (I think it's spelled) beautiful coastal town.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting mikiemom:

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LNLMommy:

Assuming your are in the US (if not, forgive me) but would you say the racism in SA is more overt and blunt than here?

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting mikiemom:

I have a dear friend (white) from South Africa. The stories I have been told about how black people were treated over there in the 80's and 90's? Yes, by far it is worse in South Africa. BY FAR. I am sure they have not made huge strides in battling the issues, either.

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I'm confused. If Native Americans can have Reservations and preserve their culture, why can't these people? I don't agree with it - I think it's ignorant - but it seems similar I think?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

umm what the fuck. White people forced Native Americans onto reservations. The reservation is now the only place often times that Native culture can be preserved, they don't shun other cultures - wow just wow.

whether you know it or not this line of thinking is extremely racist and predudicial. yikes, I can only hope you just didn't know any better.

Quoting randomosityblog:

I'm confused. If Native Americans can have Reservations and preserve their culture, why can't these people? I don't agree with it - I think it's ignorant - but it seems similar I think?

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Of course, should've known better than to post a response without someone getting their panties in a twist.

Native Americans are not forced to stay on Reservations now. My girlfriend has NA blood and I'm very familiar with the culture. I'm simply saying, white/black/etc people aren't really welcomed on Reservations, so if these white people are making their own "reservation", so to speak, it seems similar?

Quoting mikiemom:

umm what the fuck. White people forced Native Americans onto reservations. The reservation is now the only place often times that Native culture can be preserved, they don't shun other cultures - wow just wow.

whether you know it or not this line of thinking is extremely racist and predudicial. yikes, I can only hope you just didn't know any better.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I am from the US, and believe it or not, I'd say it is. The kind of talk in the article about black people ruining everything despite how "nice" the whites have been (gag me) is not uncommon, and some people think nothing of saying it out loud, in public, in front of whoever, totally unapologetically. I have a black friend in Jo'burg who is routinely physically attacked when he goes out to bars, just for being there. 

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting mikiemom:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to live in this town, but it should have to follow the same rules and regulations as every other town.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)