Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Responses to Supreme Court's DOMA Ruling Prove We're a Nation Divided

Posted by   + Show Post

Responses to Supreme Court's DOMA Ruling Prove We're a Nation Divided

by Lindsay Ferrier

Rainbow FlagSocial media is blowing up with responses to the Supreme Court decision that lets same sex couples receive the same benefits as straight couples.

Some see it as a historic and long overdue decision that prevents discrimination on the basis of sexuality.

Others are calling it a sign of the end of time.

The reaction to stories like this one shows just how fractured we are as a nation. With such deeply divided viewpoints, it's understandable why our politicians can't seem to get anything done.

Take a look at some of the across-the-board comments from CafeMom readers:

"God is very sad today," wrote Tina.

"It's fantastic and finally following the freedoms of our Constitution, not the opinions of a minority," countered Kimberly.

"The moral decline of our Nation accelerates!" wrote Barb.

"Fantastic! A great day for logic and reason over fear and bigotry!" wrote kaerae.

Meanwhile, many conservative groups didn't mince words in their opinions of the ruling. "The DOMA ruling has now made the normalization of polygamy, pedophilia, incest, and bestiality inevitable," tweeted Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association. "Matter of time."

President Obama was of a different opinion: "This ruling is a victory for couples who have long fought for equal treatment under the law," he said, "for children whose parents’ marriages will now be recognized, rightly, as legitimate; for families that, at long last, will get the respect and protection they deserve; and for friends and supporters who have wanted nothing more than to see their loved ones treated fairly and have worked hard to persuade their nation to change for the better."

Basically, depending on who you are and what you believe, today's Supreme Court decision is either a day maker -- or a day breaker.

In this case, it's probably too much to ask to hope that these two radically different sides to meet somewhere in the middle. The best we can all do, no matter which side we're on, is be respectful and polite, even when we passionately disagree.

How are your social media friends reacting to the news?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (11-18):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Okay... I can see that. I know several friends and family who now support gay marriage that did not 5 years ago.

I still don't think we'll all get along on that issue anytime soon. I would hope it would be that way but we are all humans

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

If this divide surprised anyone they aren't paying attention to the world around them...

This divide is not going to close. This country is severely divided on gay marriage & abortion and I don't see us all singing kumbaya anytime soon...

Not true. Abortion has always remained around 50/50, but SSM has been creeping into the majority over the past few years. This is remarkably different from just ten years ago, when it literally had almost no support. This shift is even more apparent among young people, with over 66% of them now supporting SSM according to the latest polls.

Abortion has and will continue to divide the country, but people are slowly starting to come together on gay marriage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

"today's Supreme Court decision is either a day maker or a day breaker"

I just don't get this.  Did something bad happen to heterosexuals yesterday?  Did they or their marriages get impacted in any way at all?  As a heterosexual, nothing has changed for me.  Not a damn thing.

This isn't going to cause anything bad to happen to people that are anti-gay marriage.  You can still go to the heaven you believe.  This did not affect your life, your marriage, or your salvation.  You can still teach your kids that gay marriage is wrong.  You can still preach that it is going to ruin this planet.  You can still be the same person you were yesterday.  Zero impact on your life.  So why is this a day breaker for you????

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I am curious too...unless there are far more Westboro-types in the U.S. then previously thought and those opposed actually believe some sort of godly wrath will now be released on our country...

Quoting pansyprincess:

"today's Supreme Court decision is either a day maker or a day breaker"

I just don't get this.  Did something bad happen to heterosexuals yesterday?  Did they or their marriages get impacted in any way at all?  As a heterosexual, nothing has changed for me.  Not a damn thing.

This isn't going to cause anything bad to happen to people that are anti-gay marriage.  You can still go to the heaven you believe.  This did not affect your life, your marriage, or your salvation.  You can still teach your kids that gay marriage is wrong.  You can still preach that it is going to ruin this planet.  You can still be the same person you were yesterday.  Zero impact on your life.  So why is this a day breaker for you????

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We are a nation divivided between people who are living in the past, and those who understand who we are today.

And that's pretty much always been true, I think.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Only one person has come out against it on my list and he's catching hell for it. I didn't chime in, people were already skewering him for being an ass face. 

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I have seen mostly positive, but I have a few very religious Christian friends who have expressed disappointment through their FB status.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I hope it does open the way for polygamy. I...don't want to say I understand, but I get where the argument about pedophilia comes from. That being said, I do not think that is going to happen. Ever. At least, I would like to think we will never get a case of the stupid that big.

I am happy with it. I think love should be multiplied, not divided.

I think love should be multiplied, not divided.

Are these your own words? They are awesome!

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I hope it does open the way for polygamy. I...don't want to say I understand, but I get where the argument about pedophilia comes from. That being said, I do not think that is going to happen. Ever. At least, I would like to think we will never get a case of the stupid that big.

I am happy with it. I think love should be multiplied, not divided.

I think love should be multiplied, not divided.

Are these your own words? They are awesome!

I can not claim them. I have heard them before. I don't remember where though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)