Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

President Obama Won't Require Churches to Perform Gay Marriages

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 210 Replies
3 moms liked this

President Obama Won't Require Churches to Perform Gay Marriages

article image

In a statement today about the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act, President Barack Obama said he would not require religious institutions, such as churches, to perform gay marriages.

“How religious institutions define and consecrate marriage has always been up to those institutions," Obama said, reports WashingtonExaminer.com. "Nothing about this decision, which applies only to civil marriages, changes that.”

This morning the president called the lesbian litigants who brought California’s Proposition 8 to the U.S. Supreme Court, notes Mediaite.com (video below).

The U.S. Supreme Court supported the California court that overturned Proposition 8 and paved the way for gay marriage in the Golden State.

While they were being interviewed on MSNBC, Chad Griffin, a gay marriage advocate with the Human Rights Campaign, said: “The president’s on the [phone] line.”

Obama congratulated the lesbian couple and added: “We’re proud of you guys.”

Sources: Mediaite.com and WashingtonExaminer.com

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Good for him.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM
14 moms liked this

Seems like common sense.

Of course, some one will find fault in this as well.  He is lying, he is the devil disguised as the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, or some other nonsense.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That's fair
little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I don't see how he could have forced them. I mean, some churches require man and woman couple to do certain things before they can be married at their church and if they don't, they can't be married there.

For example, if you are a Mormon, and you haven't been baptized and have a temple recommend, which you can only get by being a worthy member as judged by your bishop and stake president, then it doesn't matter who you are, you can't get married in the temple.
So if being gay is considered a sin in the religion, then you aren't considered worthy ad can't go to the temple. If nobody can force a man/woman marriage to e able to get married in a temple, how can a gay couple force the church to do it?

It makes no sense..
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Many anti marriage equality people have claimed that marriage equality would infringe upon their rights by requiring churches to perform SSM, which is absolutely untrue but nonetheless became an issue that needed to be addressed.

Quoting little.worthen:

I don't see how he could have forced them. I mean, some churches require man and woman couple to do certain things before they can be married at their church and if they don't, they can't be married there.

For example, if you are a Mormon, and you haven't been baptized and have a temple recommend, which you can only get by being a worthy member as judged by your bishop and stake president, then it doesn't matter who you are, you can't get married in the temple.

So if being gay is considered a sin in the religion, then you aren't considered worthy ad can't go to the temple. If nobody can force a man/woman marriage to e able to get married in a temple, how can a gay couple force the church to do it?

It makes no sense..
Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I guess he wanted to clear up a misconception because I don't remember home ever saying religious places had to marry same sex couples
finnbar
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM
9 moms liked this
Oh he won't? How magnanimous of him!
Is he in control of the whole GLBT lobby?
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

He can't and should not anyway. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Well, I'm not sure how he COULD, lol. They're private institutions, not funded by tax payer money (most of the time, if not entirely).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM
10 moms liked this

Oh how generous

eyeroll

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN