Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ugh.. Never mind forget the question..

I changed this because everyone got so off topic. We went from a nice conversation with good points on both sides to my religion an myself being bashed to the ground with comments like "you're brainwashed" "you're sentencing yourself to damnation" and "this "church" is based on nothing but deceit and falsehoods."
That wasn't the point of the original post at all.. So unless you want to get back to the point can we move on please?

Here's the original post ya crybabies...

Quoting little.worthen:

I'm just curious if you could tell me why LDS people get all the bashing but Jewish people do not?
We both have sacred temple covenants
We both wear garments or (special underwear I've heard them called)
We both don't believe in the trinity

Jewish people don't even believe in Jesus.

Now I'm in no way bashing the Jewish religion, I'm just curious why the LDS are bashed mainly for the same things the Jewish religion do.
I suppose it's not a big deal either way, I'm just curious what people's opinions are.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Replies (541-545):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Quoting jhslove:

Okay, a couple of things:

1) Jewish people DO believe in Jesus, at least most do. We believe in Jesus in the sense that we believe he existed, and many of us believe that he was actually a very wise man who had some great lessons to teach. Jesus was Jewish, after all, so it would be nonsensical for Jews not to believe that he existed. I think what you mean is that Jews don't believe that Jesus was the son of God, which is true, except in the case of Messianic Jews.

2) Jews DO get bashed. All the time. I'm not sure why you think that we don't. LDS do, too, and in both cases I think it's because there's a lot of misinformation out there. Both are wrong.

Not entirely:

- "Messianic Judaism" is an Evangelical Christian group.
- They are apostates to Judaism (if they were ever Jewish to begin with).
monajensen
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yeah she is way off. Polygamy was happening way back in Joseph Smith's time and it was not because there were fewer men than women.

Quoting furbabymum:

I'm really enjoying this post now. Here you are accusing people of believing false things about mormanism and then BAM this happens:

Quote: dummies.com

Busting a few myths about nineteenth century polygamy

Several enduring myths are still bandied about as people try to explain polygamy (or explain it away):

• "Mormons practiced polygamy because women on the frontier far outnumbered men, and plural marriage gave every woman a chance to have a husband." In actuality, men sometimes outnumbered women, especially in the early years of Mormon settlement. Some towns had three times as many unmarried men as women. In this marriage market of swinging Mormon singles, women had the pick of the litter.

Quoting little.worthen:

You got me there. History was my least favorite subject

Quoting furbabymum:

You beat me to it! That is why Utah has specific laws on the book against polygamy. They wanted to become a state and couldn't with polygamy being totally cool. I'm pretty darn sure Utah was a state BEFORE WW2.

Not only does she know nothing about her religion but she doesn't know anything abou American History either.

Quoting snookyfritz:

The official church disavowing polygamy was in 1890.  Long before WWII.  You don't know much about your religion

Quoting little.worthen:

No. It was the other way around. The LDS church adopted polygamy during ww2 and a little before because there were so many men in the service and women weren't allowed to work and so they told men to step up and help take care of the women. When there was no longer a need for it, they church said not do so it anymore. Then the FLDS church branched off and added to the religion. Now, they don't even recognize each other.

Quoting desertlvn:

Yes, but didn't the LDS actually originate with the same beliefs as the FLDS? 

Quoting little.worthen:

Uh yeah... That was the FLDS church. Not LDS. Completely different church, not the same religion...

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Wow really? There was one found what 3 years ago? There was a whole thing about the leader raping 11 12 year old girls forcing them to marry men their granpas age or older. 

Quoting little.worthen:

Okay. I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to women and children.. I'd like to see where you came up with that.. Probably from inside your head.. Also there are no Latter Day Saint cults. At all. When the church was first started it was the church of Christ and eventually a bunch of people branched off and took the Mormon basics and formed their own separate religions, but that has nothing to do with the LDS.

It doesn't sound like you know what pure talking about at all. The LDS are far, far, far from evil.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Well if you read my FIRST reply... Anyway hmmm how many LDS cults have been found? How many abuse children and women?

Quoting little.worthen:

Yeah.... I was looking for actual intelligent answers but okay.

And what do you have to back up this statement? Lol do you even know anyone who is LDS?

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Because the LDS is evil.

Quoting little.worthen:

I never said they were the same. I said they share a few similarities that only the LDS get bashed for

Quoting snookyfritz:

LDS are not Jews nor are they close to Jews.  Jews have never left the path. 

monajensen
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Do they still do the blood oaths in the temple? I think that is what a lot of people mean when they say you can't talk about it.

Quoting little.worthen:

Actually no. That's what I just told you.
There isn't anything we aren't "permitted" to talk or not talk about. We choose not to in order to keep it sacred.

What are these repercussions you're talking about? There's no such thing. At no point in time is it ever said "you are not allowed to talk about this outside of the temple"

Quoting SilverSterling:

The Difference to me is Most Jews can talk about what happens at Temple were as the LDS followers can not without serious repercussions. Choosing to not speak about what happens in temple and NOT being Permitted too are 2 very different things.. Even those Excommunicated Face serious penalties for speaking about things that happen that they shouldn't and That is were most of the information about the LDS faith comes from.. Those no longer within it.

*edited to add*

I am speaking of Most Jews I do think there might be a small faction of the Jewish community that might not be able to so if I've misspoken please correct me

Quoting little.worthen:

In a way, I'm kinda glad you said this because its almost exactly what I was talking about. Jewish people go to temples too and not all of what they do is public knowledge.

Same thing with the LDS, there are things I could say freely and there are things that are dear and personal to me that I wouldn't say because its so special to me that I wouldn't be able to handle hearing any bashing about it.

There is no, "ladies and gentleman, firs we must tell you that everything you see or hear must be kept secret!" It's just "make this promise to be a good person and keep it" and while to me it's the most important thing I've ever done, to some other anti Christian, it's something to laugh and poke fun about. Kwim?

Quoting SilverSterling:

it doesn't help about the "practices" that are kept close to the chest either... You have to Admit that there are very bazaar things that happen in both places.. I am not trying to bash and honestly woman are left out of the loop of many many things in both faiths so as much as SOME (note I said some) woman want to say its unfair it really isnt because they themselves dont even know Everything about either faiths because woman are not permitted within many of the inner workings of the faith

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Many think that way because its "new" in the world of religions just like Scientology is "new"... :-)

Quoting SilverSterling:

I know this is going to sound bad and I cant really make it sound good but I think of the LDS Religion (NOT all the people but the Religion itself) Like Scientology.. Weird, Different and truly unknown to most...

little.worthen
by Tess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

no they dont do blood oaths. they dont do anything there that swears you to secrecy

Quoting monajensen:

Do they still do the blood oaths in the temple? I think that is what a lot of people mean when they say you can't talk about it.

Quoting little.worthen:

There isn't anything we aren't "permitted" to talk or not talk about. We choose not to in order to keep it sacred.

What are these repercussions you're talking about? There's no such thing. At no point in time is it ever said "you are not allowed to talk about this outside of the temple"

Quoting SilverSterling:

The Difference to me is Most Jews can talk about what happens at Temple were as the LDS followers can not without serious repercussions. Choosing to not speak about what happens in temple and NOT being Permitted too are 2 very different things.. Even those Excommunicated Face serious penalties for speaking about things that happen that they shouldn't and That is were most of the information about the LDS faith comes from.. Those no longer within it.

*edited to add*

I am speaking of Most Jews I do think there might be a small faction of the Jewish community that might not be able to so if I've misspoken please correct me

Quoting little.worthen:

In a way, I'm kinda glad you said this because its almost exactly what I was talking about. Jewish people go to temples too and not all of what they do is public knowledge.

Same thing with the LDS, there are things I could say freely and there are things that are dear and personal to me that I wouldn't say because its so special to me that I wouldn't be able to handle hearing any bashing about it.

There is no, "ladies and gentleman, firs we must tell you that everything you see or hear must be kept secret!" It's just "make this promise to be a good person and keep it" and while to me it's the most important thing I've ever done, to some other anti Christian, it's something to laugh and poke fun about. Kwim?

Quoting SilverSterling:

it doesn't help about the "practices" that are kept close to the chest either... You have to Admit that there are very bazaar things that happen in both places.. I am not trying to bash and honestly woman are left out of the loop of many many things in both faiths so as much as SOME (note I said some) woman want to say its unfair it really isnt because they themselves dont even know Everything about either faiths because woman are not permitted within many of the inner workings of the faith

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Many think that way because its "new" in the world of religions just like Scientology is "new"... :-)

Quoting SilverSterling:

I know this is going to sound bad and I cant really make it sound good but I think of the LDS Religion (NOT all the people but the Religion itself) Like Scientology.. Weird, Different and truly unknown to most...

monajensen
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thanks. I looked it up before you replied and found that the blood oaths stopped in April of 1990.

Quoting little.worthen:

no they dont do blood oaths. they dont do anything there that swears you to secrecy

Quoting monajensen:

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting SilverSterling:

*edited to add*

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting SilverSterling:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting SilverSterling:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)