Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is why the courts need to stay out of medical decisions. Girl gets second lung transplant

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 123 Replies
1 mom liked this

Pennsylvania girl gets second lung transplant after first failed

• Dislike
Reuters

By Francesca Trianni

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 10-year-old Pennsylvania girl who sparked a national debate about child access to organ donation took her first independent breath this week on a second set of donor lungs after her first transplant failed, the girl's family said on Friday.

Sarah Murnaghan, who had cystic fibrosis and needed a lung transplant, had been kept off an adult organ transplant list due to an age restriction. She became eligible for an adult pair of lungs only after a judge's order.

The girl received the first transplant on June 12 but had to be put back on a waiting list to receive another organ donation after complications arose.

The girl underwent a second surgery, her family said in a statement, performed by the same surgeon who did the first transplant, Dr. Thomas Spray, at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

"The road to recovery is long and Sarah's fight is not over," parents Janet and Fran Murnaghan, who live in the Philadelphia suburb of Newtown Square, wrote on Facebook on Friday.

The girl's family had sued to prevent the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services from enforcing a policy that prevents children under 12 from receiving adult lung transplants, even if they are extremely ill.

The girl was set to undergo another surgery on Monday to provide the lungs with greater volume for expansion and remove a tube, the family's statement said.

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
12 moms liked this
That kind of pisses me off. But I can't say if it was my child I wouldn't do the same thing her parents did.
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Where does it stop?!
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

BUMP!

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM
17 moms liked this

SMH

I said what I thought about this when they were fighting for the right to have the transplant.

Every set of lungs they use that fail in this girl are a set that arent' saving someone else.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
It's hard to say what you would or would not do if this were your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

The article I read said the first pair were of poor quality and their point of failure was very common.

The second set is no winner either..they were infected with pneumonia.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/28/family-reveals-10-year-old-girl-who-fought-organ-donation-guidelines-had-second/

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Do you have a link? My understanding was that if you had an Infection of any kind in your body that you were disqualified from donating.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The article I read said the first pair were of poor quality and their point of failure was very common.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/28/family-reveals-10-year-old-girl-who-fought-organ-donation-guidelines-had-second/

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Do you have a link? My understanding was that if you had an Infection of any kind in your body that you were disqualified from donating.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Sorry, you must have repied faster than I could grab the link!

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

If it holds true the lungs were substandard, are we just transplanting any available organ now or is it specific for this case or was it the dire circumstances which lead to it? Which further leads to the question would these have actually gone to save anyone else? 

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM
11 moms liked this
You know what? If it was any of your children, ALL of you against it would be singing a different tune. And yes this is coming from a parent of a child who will need a life saving organ transplant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN