Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shoot out in my home town! Deputy shot in head*** killed***UPDATE!, a second officer wounded UPDATE 2 !!! Teen wounded!!!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 26 Replies

UPDATE2!!!!

Father of alleged sexual assault victim says McCommas intended to kill family

June 30, 2013

The father of an underage girl who Joshua resident Ricky Don McCommas was accused of sexually assaulting said on Sunday that he believes McCommas came to their Oak Trail Shores home Friday with the intention of killing their entire family. That occurred just before McCommas shot Hood County Sheriff’s Office deputy Lance McLean in the head and wounded Granbury police officer Chad Davis, according to officials. Sergeant McLean, 38, of Hico, was pronounced dead shortly before noon Saturday in a Fort Worth hospital. The 46-year-old OTS man also told the Hood County News that a 17-year-old boy who was at the residence on Edgecliff Court suffered a chest wound from shrapnel after a bullet from a handgun McCommas fired multiple times toward the family outside their home richocheted. The boy was treated and released at a Fort Worth Hospital, the man said. The man emphasized that the family will not grant any more interviews to the news media. Davis is recovering from a bullet wound to his upper right arm. McCommas was killed in a shootout with officers just outside City Hall after he drove from the OTS residence to downtown Granbury.

UPDATE!!!

GRANBURY — Hood County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Lance McLean, who was shot by a sexual assault suspect near Granbury on Friday, has died of his injuries, law enforcement sources confirmed to News 8 Saturday morning.

McLean, 38, had been wounded in the head and was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth following the attack. He died there on Saturday, Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds said.

"Everybody's having a tough time dealing with it," the sheriff added, noting that McLean was married and had two children.

The violence began with a disturbance call at 10:50 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's deputies were dispatched near the intersection of Edgecliff Court and Lakeview Road in the Oak Trail Shores subdivision north of Granbury.

Upon arrival, a man identified as Ricky Don McCommas opened fire on the responding deputies, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Trooper Lonny Haschel said.

After McLean was injured, another deputy called for backup as McCommas, 57, drove to Granbury in a white van, Haschel said.

McCommas was killed by Granbury police near City Hall after wounding another police officer in a gun battle.

Late Friday afternoon, authorities surrounded the home of Ricky McCommas as they waited for a search warrant in Joshua. The McCommas family left the home earlier and authorities said they were taking precautions as they suspected explosives are inside the residence.

Law enforcement said McCommas sold guns from the home.

Once inside, authorities seized more than two dozen guns and about 20 cases of ammunition, along with a computer and other evidence.

Court records revealed McCommas had been charged with sexual assault of a child. Joshua Police Chief Annabeth Robertson said he was accused of raping his wife's niece on July 4, 2012 behind a grocery store. The chief said McCommas went to Granbury to confront the victim.

Court records show McCommas missed a court appearance Friday morning. A warrant for his arrest was issued and his bond raised from $100,000 to $200,000.

Granbury Police Department Chief Mitch Galvan said the wounded officer, identified as Chad Davis, was transported to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital. He was alert and did not suffer life-threatening injuries. Department of Public Safety spokesman Trooper Lonny Haschel said he was shot in "an upper extremity."

Galvan said Saturday that Davis was being moved out of intensive care. In addition to Davis' shoulder wound, Galvan said doctors found three bullet fragments in his knee.

Galvan said he and his officers knew McLean well.

"This has been a tremendous loss," he said. "You can't replace Sgt. Lance McLean."

Galvan called McLean a leader with a "great sense of humor."

"He was a very caring man. His family was his life and his job was his life" Galvan said.

According to Galvan, city police officers spotted McCommas' van near the 200 block of Houston Street at about 11:02 a.m. Friday.

McCommas exited his van on the east side of City Hall and opened fire with an assault-type rifle on the officers, striking one, the chief said.

Police returned fire and killed the man, Galvan added. The suspect was not correctly identified at an afternoon news conference, but Haschel later confirmed that the dead gunman was Ricky McCommas.

Haschel said he could not name the type of weapon used or the amount of shots fired because of the ongoing investigation.

"This is still unfolding, we still have folks at the scene," Haschel said Friday.

Witnesses Gary Farina and Joe Vandaveer said the suspect was wearing what appeared to be tactical gear. The two witnesses said the man looked at them as they stood near City Hall and then swung his rifle toward officers who had pulled in behind him. Farina said he then heard gunfire, although it was not clear who shot first.

"He got out of the van and three of us were standing there and then for a split second he looked at us and turned, and as soon as he turned, we started hearing gunfire," Farina said. "As soon as we heard the gunfire we turned and came to the back of the building."

At least one window at City Hall was hit during the shootout. No one was injured.

Officers placed at least 40 evidence markers along Houston Street near the intersection with Bridge Street.

An abandoned white van sat in a parking lot near an assault-type rifle, according to footage shot by HD Chopper 8. The body of the suspect was covered with a white sheet.

A fund for the McLean family was established under their name at the First National Bank of Hico.

Granbury is about 41 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.I was sent a photo of the scene by a family member who saw it all happen by cell before it was reported.  Since this was released so was the names of the officers and the shooter. Turns out he was a arms dealer from a neighboring town who was due in court here and never showed. He was formally employeed as a security officer and was accused  of a sex crime by a family member.

Texas Police Officer, Deputy Shot; Suspect Killed

The suspect reportedly had an assault-style rifle and dozens of shell casings were found at the scene.

LinkedIn
Comments
Print

GRANBURY, Texas -- Two law enforcement officers were wounded and a suspect was fatally shot Friday morning in an incident that ended near Granbury City Hall.

A Hood County Sheriff's deputy was flown to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth and a Granbury police officer was transported to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth. Their conditions were not known.

Details were sketchy, but the incident apparently started during a traffic stop in the Oak Trail Shores trailer park -- just outside of Granbury -- where a deputy was shot, according to the Hood County News.

The suspect, driving a white van and heavily armed, then fled to downtown Granbury, where a shootout with police ensued about 11 a.m. near Granbury City Hall, said Hood County Judge Darrell Cockerham.

John Luton, president of the First National Bank of Granbury, said he could hear the sirens approaching and quickly realized officers weren't just responding to a traffic accident. Then, he could hear the rapid exchange of gunfire.

"It's not something you're used to hearing sitting inside a 150-year-old rock building," Luton said.

Luton said the suspect's vehicle was still in the City Hall parking lot with dozens of yellow cones on the ground, indicating where shells were found.

By the sounds he heard outside, Luton said he believes officers were pursuing the suspect as he came toward downtown.

"I think they chased him and he ended up here," Luton said.

One woman said she first thought the shooting was one of the Old West re-enactments that are conducted regularly on weekends in the popular downtown area.

"But this was a whole different kind of noise," she said. "It was bam-bam-bam!"

When the shooting occurred, no bank employees or customers were outside and no stray bullets struck vehicles in the bank parking lot. Luton said there is a large crime-scene area along Houston Street, also known as Texas 51, that remains closed.

The suspect, who was shot and killed by police, reportedly had an assault-style rifle and handgun. His body was loaded into an orange bag and taken away about 2 p.m. Friday.

Copyright 2013 - Fort Worth Star-Telegram

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Deputy ‘very critical’ after shooting

June 28, 2013

Sheriff Roger Deeds is not optimistic about the fate of Deputy Lance McLean who was shot in the back of the head Friday morning after answering a 911 disturbance call in Oak Trail Shores. “He’s very critical,” Deeds said Friday night. “He’s basically on life support.” McLean is hospitalized at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. The heavily armed shooting suspect, Ricky Don McCommas, 49, of Joshua, was killed in the Granbury City Hall parking lot after a pursuit and shootout with officers. Granbury police officer Chad Davis was wounded in the shootout, but his injuries are not life-threatening, authorities said. The deputy who arrived after the shooting at the OTS residence was able to get the description of the suspect and the vehicle as the suspect was fleeing the scene. The suspect traveled on FM 4 toward Granbury, then turned south on Houston Street where he met a roadblock near the square. The suspect turned right, into the City Hall parking lot. “He stopped and got out of the car and started shooting,” Deeds said. Officers returned fire and killed the suspect. The suspect was armed with an assault rifle and two pistols, the sheriff said.

Wounded deputy in critical condition; GPD officer has non-life-threatening injuries

June 28, 2013

A Hood County Sheriff’s Office deputy, Lance McLean, is in critical condition with a head wound at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, and Granbury Police Department officer Chad Davis is in Harris Methodist Hospital with a “non-life-threatening” injury to an “upper extremity” after they both were wounded when a suspect in a criminal trespassing call in the Oak Trail Shores subdivision fired multiple shots at them Friday morning, according to authorities. The shooter, identified as Ricky Don McCommas, 49, of Joshua, died when officers returned fire in downtown Granbury in the City Hall parking lot just off Houston Street.

Sheriff’s deputy shot after responding to criminal trespass call

June 28, 2013

A sheriff’s deputy shot in the head at Oak Trail Shores Friday morning was responding to a criminal trespass call. The suspect fled the scene and law officers gave chase, ending in the Granbury City Hall parking lot where gunfire was exchanged and the suspect killed. A police officer was shot during the gunfire. His injuries do not appear serious, officers indicated. The sheriff’s deputy is in a Fort Worth hospital. His condition is not known.

Officers shot, suspect is killed

June 28, 2013

A Hood County Sheriff’s Deputy was reported to be shot in the head in Oak Trail Shores this morning, and a helicopter was called for transport. A short time later, an exchange of gunfire took place on Houston Street near Granbury City Hall. A suspect driving a van was shot and killed and a police officer was taken to the hospital. Kent Whites, who was on the square when the shooting took place, said “We heard all these shots. We thought it was reenactors.” It is not clear whether the incidents are related, or if the shooter was acting alone. Video of statement from Granbury Police Chief Mitch Galvan.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleJ1000
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Damn.......
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Ya so lucky that there was not anyone killed other than the shooter and possibly the deputy he is in very bad shape on life support. 

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

Damn.......

KatherineM
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Scarry .....I lived there for 2 yrs moved in January. My sil still lives there
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM

It is mind boggling. I mean it is not a high crime area and normally very peaceful. I have lived her my entire life.

Quoting KatherineM:

KatherineM
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:48 AM
We lived it there my oldest went to Baccus. I miss my Heb. Lol

Quoting glitterteaz:

It is mind boggling. I mean it is not a high crime area and normally very peaceful. I have lived her my entire life.

Quoting KatherineM:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:50 AM

It is nice isn't it.

Quoting KatherineM:

We lived it there my oldest went to Baccus. I miss my Heb. Lol

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting KatherineM:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
We heard it come across the scanner yesterday. Didn't know how badly the officers were Injured. Awful.
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

wow you must live pretty close for it to reach your scanner

Quoting LauraKW:

We heard it come across the scanner yesterday. Didn't know how badly the officers were Injured. Awful.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I work for FWPD. Strangely enough, there is an app where you can download and listen to the FWPD scanner.

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting LauraKW:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

ya that isnt far away at all. 

Quoting LauraKW:

I work for FWPD. Strangely enough, there is an app where you can download and listen to the FWPD scanner.

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting LauraKW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN