Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Selfies

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 289 Replies
5 moms liked this

I need to understand selfies, so if you understand them, come help me.

One of my friends posted a picture of herself, in a very short dress, seated, with a glass of wine, and a come hither expression.  It is a selfie, she took it herself, the camera is visible in the pic.  This woman is in her mid/late forties.

I don't get it.  It would never occur to me to stop whatever I am doing and take a pic of myself to then share with everyone.  Normally I take pics of other people doing things I want to remember.

Can someone explain this fascination people have with taking pics of themself?

ETA:  My avatar is an older picture of my two daughters and is not a picture of myself.  :-)

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Haha! No I absolutely hate posed selfies unless it is a joke. Its true, it just smacks of self involvement.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

My avi is a selfie :D I'm home alone with the baby most of the time so I don't have someone to hold the camera for me, lol.

I don't take pictures of myself at events or anything like that though. Like you, I'm usually taking pictures of what's actually going on.

/shrug. I haven't really thought about it much.

punky3175
by Punky on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah I don't get it either.  I've taken, I think, one and that was to post here.  I don't mind my picture being taken and I'll "demand" each kid get a picture of me with the other one when we're out and about, but I don't generally take pictures of myself.

I think a lot of them (from the younger girls I know) are posted for reassurance that they are indeed attractive.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm right with you! I don't get it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM
4 moms liked this
Gah, no I cannot explain but I have a few self absorbed facebook friends and their self pic obsessions can be mildly disturbing. They are not very interesting people
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM
8 moms liked this

Artistic expression.

pinkfairy0206
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I wanna know too! Lol. In the future when my future kin is looking at pictures they won't know I existed!! Lol. I.don't have pictures of myself. Lol "mommy time" what's that??
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter excuses with a ...its like my diary.  I personally think its got more to do with vanity.  The need to look pretty for everyone.

I cant explain ugly people selfies LOL

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM
8 moms liked this

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting finnbar:

Gah, no I cannot explain but I have a few self absorbed facebook friends and their self pic obsessions can be mildly disturbing. They are not very interesting people

I laughed at the "they are not very interesting people"  ....I think the same with those who update hourly about nothing...and I always think..."really?  are you trying to be interesting?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured