Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Some Hispanic people are white. Some Hispanic people are black. Hispanic is NOT a race.

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 56 Replies
8 moms liked this

This is a spin off from the post asking if rioting will happen if George Zimmerman is not found guilty in the murder of Trayvon Martin.

In that thread many people are discussing the racial make up of George Zimmerman, asking how he can be white when he is 1/2 Hispanic.  Here is how:

Some Hispanic people are white.  Some Hispanic people are black.  Hispanic is NOT a race. 

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

bump

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

In the United States, a White Hispanic or White Latino[17] is a citizen or resident who is racially white and of Hispanic descent. White American, itself an official U.S. racial category, refers to people "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa" who reside in the United States.[18]

Based on the definitions created by the Office of Management and Budget and the U.S. Census Bureau, the concepts of race and ethnicity are mutually independent, and respondents to the census and other Census Bureau surveys are asked to answer both questions. Hispanicity is independent of race, and constitutes an ethnicity category, as opposed to a racial category, the only one of which that is officially collated by the U.S. Census Bureau. For the Census Bureau, Ethnicity distinguishes between those who report ancestral origins in Spain or Hispanic America (Hispanic and Latino Americans), and those who do not (Non-Hispanic Americans).[19][20] The U.S. Census Bureau asks each resident to report the "race or races with which they most closely identify."[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Who cares.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes,we come in all colors. Hispanic is not a race but rather an ethnicity that encompasses many nations. 

caito
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

This is true. A lot of people forget or don't know though. My husband is mestizo, which are people of mixed European and Central Native American descent. He puts white and hispanic to make things easier though. My daughter is white and hispanic.

It's like when you ask if someone is mixed and they say "Yeah I'm German, Irish, Scottish, and Canadian." There's a difference between race and ethnicity.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I thought the correct term was Latino?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

they never get that...its a defence for the "hes not white so he cant be racist" crowd.

They gather this and feel good about themselves.

I wouldnt call him white either....but in the US the divide is brown.  So anything darker than white is black.

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Huh funny when I get forms it asks what's your race and Hispanic is an option oh I know cause it is a race just like black white Asian Indian etc.........
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Huh funny when I get forms it asks what's your race and Hispanic is an option oh I know cause it is a race just like black white Asian Indian etc.........

http://www.hispanicresearch.com/hispanic-market-data/faq/87-why-doesnt-the-census-include-hispanic-as-a-race

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Wouldn't Hispanic be a person with Spanish ancestry?  Would a proper term be Latino as in (descends from Latin America)?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)