Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Germany summons U.S. ambassador over EU spying

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 29 Replies

The diplomatic fallout over allegations the National Security Agency spied on European Union institutions threatened to escalate on Monday as Germany said it was summoning the U.S. ambassador over the breach in trust.

The German government said it wants "trust restored" with the U.S. following reports that American intelligence agencies bugged EU offices.

The German news weekly Der Spiegel reported Sunday that the NSA had bugged EU offices in Washington, New York and Brussels.

The report cited secret U.S. documents allegedly obtained by the NSA leaker and former contractor Edward Snowden.

The European Parliament has demanded an explanation from Washington and warned that EU-U.S. relations could suffer as a result.

German President Angela Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert said that if the report was true the U.S. behavior was "unacceptable."

Merkel said the report, if confirmed, demonstrated "Cold War-style behavior." She was said to feel "alienated" over the development.

On Sunday, British newspaper The Independent reported that Germany's Federal Prosecutor's office "was preparing to bring charges against British and U.S. intelligence ... amid fresh allegations that the services spied far more extensively than thought on German phone and internet traffic."

Separately, French President Francois Hollande, Agence France-Presse reported Monday, has requested that the U.S. "immediately stop" spying.

U.S. Secretary of state John Kerry says he doesn't know all the particulars about allegations that the U.S. bugged EU offices. But he says many nations engaged in international affairs undertake lots of different kinds of activities to protect their national interests.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/01/germany-eu-nsa-snowden/2478625/

Do you feel these nations do this as well?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep, and now it all begins again......

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this

what a mess...

While I  understand the outraged, and I shocked at the surprise. I have always assumed that all nations with the proper technology spied on each othere (whether they are allies or not).

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I thought this as well.

Quoting rfurlongg:

what a mess...

While I  understand the outraged, and I shocked at the surprise. I have always assumed that all nations with the proper technology spied on each othere (whether they are allies or not).

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Of course they all do it.  And every government knows it.  My guess is the German government is posturing for her people.  They know full well that WE know that they are also spying on us.  As is Israel, France, England, and just about every country out there.  The problem is, our TRAITOR has now shoved it in the face of the people and now the German government has no choice but to respond and pretend to be outraged.

For all those who were patting Snowden on the back and hailing him as a HERO because "all he did was tell the American people the NSA is spying on them", now what?   I am curious if, in the face of irrefutable proof that he is handing our secrets over to foreign governments, do they still consider the scumbag traitor a hero?

Quoting rfurlongg:

what a mess...

\

Communication is a two way street.  Don't expect me to listen to you if you refuse to listen to me.  We will never move forward until we all listen to EACH OTHER!!

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I still consider what he released right. I really do not think the US government is all that outraged about it and may have orchestrated parts of it. Be careful to remember to look at what is happening that they needed this to distract. It is fairly assured he would have met with some sort of mishap or disappeared if not for this being such. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Of course they all do it.  And every government knows it.  My guess is the German government is posturing for her people.  They know full well that WE know that they are also spying on us.  As is Israel, France, England, and just about every country out there.  The problem is, our TRAITOR has now shoved it in the face of the people and now the German government has no choice but to respond and pretend to be outraged.

For all those who were patting Snowden on the back and hailing him as a HERO because "all he did was tell the American people the NSA is spying on them", now what?   I am curious if, in the face of irrefutable proof that he is handing our secrets over to foreign governments, do they still consider the scumbag traitor a hero?

Quoting rfurlongg:

what a mess...

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Already there has been strain with Hong Kong, China, Russia, and Equador. NOW other countries are going to line up. Good Going Snowden. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I thought only the superpowers do it.

Those of us who are the poor cousins just do what we're told ....

Quoting stormcris:

I thought this as well.

Quoting rfurlongg:

what a mess...

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That was going to happen anyway. War is profitable and often is the option for economic turmoil.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Already there has been strain with Hong Kong, China, Russia, and Equador. NOW other countries are going to line up. Good Going Snowden. 

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

The permanent members of the UN Security Council are also the largest arms dealers in the world. I always scratch my head with that one.

Quoting stormcris:

That was going to happen anyway. War is profitable and often is the option for economic turmoil.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Spying is almost as old as prostitution. I think that everyone does it no matter how poor. It may not be so advanced as the super powers, but none the less they do it on various nations and people. Even local law enforcement does it to some varying degrees.

Quoting turtle68:

I thought only the superpowers do it.

Those of us who are the poor cousins just do what we're told ....

Quoting stormcris:

I thought this as well.

Quoting rfurlongg:

what a mess...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN