Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The one with the monkey on it.

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Yesterday, a black couple was in shopping for fireworks.   They asked me which of the B1G1 repeaters I liked best.  I said, "Yikes, the one with the monkey on it".  Soon as I said it, I was in an internal panic that they would think I was being offensive.

It is crazy to have to be so concious of things like that.

Minnow Slayer

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Its something we all have to do when dealing with things like that. Dh's dad works in Irish pub and he is irish and I wanted to try a Irish Car bomb when I turned twenty one  and I thought long and hard about how to describe the drink without using the title of the drink. Its one of those thing that happen.

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I am 46 and myself and grandmothers generation delt with alot of racial slurs that seem silly to most.Yet it is no laughing matter to be mocked and insulted by a real racist.Racist do exist...and most like to hide....so you cant always say blacks are too sensative in needing to defend ourselves.If I believe someone is being racist I just give it right back.I am all for equality:)

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I am Irish too, but I would not be insulted. I just thought"oh shit, I hope they didn't think I was being a racist by that.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Its something we all have to do when dealing with things like that. Dh's dad works in Irish pub and he is irish and I wanted to try a Irish Car bomb when I turned twenty one  and I thought long and hard about how to describe the drink without using the title of the drink. Its one of those thing that happen.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

well if it had a monkey on it then I don't think they would have thought it that way.

Quoting Carpy:

I am Irish too, but I would not be insulted. I just thought"oh shit, I hope they didn't think I was being a racist by that.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

CafeMom Tickers
katy_kay08
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I had one of those horrible "oh no" moments  with my youngest son who was three at the time.  We were shopping at Target in the housewares aisle.  We turned down an aisle and there as an AA woman in the aisle.  My son very loudly shouts "look mommy a monkey".  I froze, I was horrified but I knew he wasn't talking about the woman so I looked around quickly to figure out what he meant.  On the wall were pictures of pancakes with various presentations.  One stack of pancakes was made to look like a monkey.  We talked about the various designs and the woman even joined into the discussion with him.  

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

When i was in the Army, getting ready to be deployed overseas, about 5 of us women soldiers were talking about something a male sergeant said that made us angry, and I piped in with, "That was mighty white of him!"  Then I stopped, because I realized that I had just spouted off something that I had heard in the past and I was not sure if I had insulted them, or me!

A minute passed and one of the girls said,"Well, at least she said it instead of us!" Whew! That scared the heck out of me and I tried from that moment on to think about all of the idiomatic expressions I have heard and may even have used without thinking in the past...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was the only white girl!

Here's a few:

1) "n*gg*r rig"  (AAs)

2) "gerry rig"     (Probably WW2 for Germans)

3) "Jew" someone down on a price.   (obvious)

4) "Gypped" as cheated   (Gypsy)

I can't think of any more right now... Anyway, it sort of scared me when I realized that these terms were offensive because I hoped that I had never used them around someone who might be angered.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
LMAO. That would horrify me too.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I had one of those horrible "oh no" moments  with my youngest son who was three at the time.  We were shopping at Target in the housewares aisle.  We turned down an aisle and there as an AA woman in the aisle.  My son very loudly shouts "look mommy a monkey".  I froze, I was horrified but I knew he wasn't talking about the woman so I looked around quickly to figure out what he meant.  On the wall were pictures of pancakes with various presentations.  One stack of pancakes was made to look like a monkey.  We talked about the various designs and the woman even joined into the discussion with him.  

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I did something similar w/ out a second thought yrs ago at my garage sale.  had an old sewing machine and a Black gal and her Mom asked what brand and I stated "Monkey ward". Thats what my Nanaand Mom always called Montgomery Ward. Nothing racial about it. They bough some other stuff and were pleasant.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

well if it had a monkey on it then I don't think they would have thought it that way.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

You would think.  I used to own a clothing store called White Dog Clothing Exchange.  I purchased it from the original owner.  Her dog, a Bichon Frise was on the store sign and store logo.  We had a lady harass us over the name.  According to her it was racist and if we didn't change it she would sue.  I finally got tired of it and had the store manager refer her to my attorney..and or course she never did and that was the end of it.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it sad when the most mundane thing can be seen as racist...sort of takes the real meaning out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)