Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

Cirque du Soleil Accident Kills Young Mother of 2 in Front of a Terrified Audience

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Cirque de SoleilA 31-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer and mother of two has fallen 50 feet to her death during the finale of a show called Ka at the Las Vegas MGM Grand. At first audience members thought Sarah "Sassoon" Guyard's fall was part of the show until they heard screaming, groaning, and someone sobbing. It's just such an unbelievably shocking tragedy.

Cirque du Soleil performances may seem death defying and dangerous when you see them. After all, acrobats twirling on ribbons high above your head, swinging around, and contorting their bodies with nothing but hands and a bit of wire holding them up SEEM to be performing shocking, death-tempting acts. But, in fact, the show has never had a death in its 30 years of existence. Until now.

It's hard to imagine what that audience must have felt and even more hard to imagine the comments some self righteous people have been making about the mother of two young children.

It has been suggested (in comments sections) that perhaps her job was too dangerous and that she was somehow at risk for this. That is just hogwash and such a judgmental (and wrong) thing to say. Do people blame firefighters or police officers killed in the line of duty who also happen to be parents?

The reality is she was performing a carefully choreographed routine that she probably had been performing for years. This was something she had trained for decades to do, and it's no more dangerous than anything else done by well-trained and practiced professionals.

This is a tragedy, plain and simple. If there is anyone to blame, let's blame those who didn't keep the wires safe enough. Some speculation is that her foot slipped out of the wire. That shouldn't have happened.

Freak accidents happen on any job. People fall into meat grinders or slip and hit their heads on factory floors. Just because Guyard's line of work was performing arts doesn't mean she was inviting this to happen.

This is a senseless, horrible tragedy and filling it with platitudes like "she died doing what she loved" won't help, either. She did die doing what she loved, but it could have (and should have) been prevented. My heart goes out to her family and I hope that people will remember them when making online comments and remember that this job is no more dangerous than many others people perform every day.

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
gammie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Maybe you don't write well.

Quoting mikiemom:

Do you not recognize sarcasm - seriously read a book or two

Quoting gammie:

eye rollingso there would be no fireman, police, teachers (in city), so on..............

Quoting mikiemom:

Parents - both male and female should avoid dangerous jobs. Why just women? Sexist much.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

confusedRofL - reading comprehension it's a skill some don't have - reading more will  help you.  

Quoting gammie:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting gammie:

eye rollingso there would be no fireman, police, teachers (in city), so on..............

Quoting mikiemom:

Parents - both male and female should avoid dangerous jobs. Why just women? Sexist much.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Why just mothers?

gammie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting mikiemom:

confusedRofL - reading comprehension it's a skill some don't have - reading more will  help you.  

Quoting gammie:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting gammie:

Quoting mikiemom:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Everything in life is dangerous. A mom driving in a carpool on her way to her office downtown could die in a wreck... And that is a hell of a lot more likely than this accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I personally think both should, male or female. That said, I wouldn't have married anyone in a dangerous job either.

But, that's on them, that's their choice. Hope they have really good life insurance.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Someone has to do the dangerous jobs like fire fighting, police, and any other dangerous jobs out there. In a perfect world only single people would do these jobs, but then that would be saying that a single persons life is worth less than a parents life.

While I will argue All life should be valued the same, a person with children does have more responsibility. They have another life to care for.

For me and my family, we would not have jobs that were more dangerous than everyday jobs because I feel our children need us more than we need to be participating in overly dangerous jobs.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ziva65:

I personally think both should, male or female. That said, I wouldn't have married anyone in a dangerous job either.

But, that's on them, that's their choice. Hope they have really good life insurance.

This is how I feel also. I would not have married my husband if he was still in the military. We don't participate in extreme sports and my husband will Not own a motorcycle until our children are grown.

Everything in life has risks, but we believe as parents that it is our duty to minimize those risks.

Kmary
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

No, I don't necessarily think parents should choose less dangerous jobs than non-parents.  But I think the whole point of  this article is something more important than that:  that people see danger where it isn't and probably don't see it where it truly is.  As the article states, in 30 years of existence, Cirque du Soleil hadn't had one single death until now.  But a person would probably never tell a police officer, who also happened to be a parent, that he/she was being highly irresponsible because their job is dangerous (and admittedly, FAR more dangerous statistically than working for Cirque du Soleil).  More parental critiizing for no good  reason.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM
I once gave myself a concussion at a desk job. People can get hurt anywhere. Accidents happen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)