Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

Cirque du Soleil Accident Kills Young Mother of 2 in Front of a Terrified Audience

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Cirque de SoleilA 31-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer and mother of two has fallen 50 feet to her death during the finale of a show called Ka at the Las Vegas MGM Grand. At first audience members thought Sarah "Sassoon" Guyard's fall was part of the show until they heard screaming, groaning, and someone sobbing. It's just such an unbelievably shocking tragedy.

Cirque du Soleil performances may seem death defying and dangerous when you see them. After all, acrobats twirling on ribbons high above your head, swinging around, and contorting their bodies with nothing but hands and a bit of wire holding them up SEEM to be performing shocking, death-tempting acts. But, in fact, the show has never had a death in its 30 years of existence. Until now.

It's hard to imagine what that audience must have felt and even more hard to imagine the comments some self righteous people have been making about the mother of two young children.

It has been suggested (in comments sections) that perhaps her job was too dangerous and that she was somehow at risk for this. That is just hogwash and such a judgmental (and wrong) thing to say. Do people blame firefighters or police officers killed in the line of duty who also happen to be parents?

The reality is she was performing a carefully choreographed routine that she probably had been performing for years. This was something she had trained for decades to do, and it's no more dangerous than anything else done by well-trained and practiced professionals.

This is a tragedy, plain and simple. If there is anyone to blame, let's blame those who didn't keep the wires safe enough. Some speculation is that her foot slipped out of the wire. That shouldn't have happened.

Freak accidents happen on any job. People fall into meat grinders or slip and hit their heads on factory floors. Just because Guyard's line of work was performing arts doesn't mean she was inviting this to happen.

This is a senseless, horrible tragedy and filling it with platitudes like "she died doing what she loved" won't help, either. She did die doing what she loved, but it could have (and should have) been prevented. My heart goes out to her family and I hope that people will remember them when making online comments and remember that this job is no more dangerous than many others people perform every day.

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Mothers should work whatever jobs they want to work. I work retail and I could get killed driving to or from work or something could happen to me at work. No job is 100% safe for anyone.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Someone has to do the dangerous jobs like fire fighting, police, and any other dangerous jobs out there. In a perfect world only single people would do these jobs, but then that would be saying that a single persons life is worth less than a parents life.

While I will argue All life should be valued the same, a person with children does have more responsibility. They have another life to care for.

For me and my family, we would not have jobs that were more dangerous than everyday jobs because I feel our children need us more than we need to be participating in overly dangerous jobs.

I have to completely disagree with this because I believe most jobs, if not all, are a calling. It is what you were meant to do. YES, some jobs are more dangerous, but honestly, that does not mean something horrible is going to happen. What happened here is an accident. Accidents happen all the time and they happen to people NOT in dangerous situations. . I am a teacher, and most probably think that is not a dangerous job, but look what happened last December at Sandy Hook Elementary. You cannot live your life asking "what ifs" all the time.

Whether it's a calling or not, there are jobs that are statistically MORE dangerous than others. It's your prerogative to take whatever job you like. We choose statistically low probability for danger when choosing our jobs. I'm not talking about fluke things happening, like the Sandy Hook shootings. I'm talking about stats. Police have a far greater chance of being killed than a teacher. That's a fact. Again, it's OUR choice for our family to limit risks. I can actually live my life any way I choose and if that means taking into account What If's, then that is my prerogative.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I've done that before. I've never knocked myself out though!

Quoting LauraKW:

I went under my desk for something I dropped and I hadn't backed out far enough when I tried to raise up. Bashed the back of my head and knocked me right back to the floor. Not sure how long I was under there.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

I once gave myself a concussion at a desk job. People can get hurt anywhere. Accidents happen.

What the heck did you do?!!

glitterrain
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM
no i think a mother should do what she has to do to support her kids
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I agree. On September 11, 2001, restaurant workers were killed in the terrorist attacks as were stock brokers, elevator operators...all jobs that in terms of risk of dying are low on a daily basis.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Well, if that is the case, then we would never have enough (or someday not have enough) firefighters, doctors, police officers, para rescuers, military service members, nurses, paramedics, teachers (specifically highschool)....I could go on.

There is something dangerous about almost every job out there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Tragic, but I guess no one can wrap themselves in bubble wrap.  We do what we do in life and it only takes a moment to end our life sometimes. 

I just pray that people have their heart right with God so they have the assurance that they'll be going to a good place when they die. 

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was a teen I hoped into my bed and flung myself down. Unfortunately it was completely dark and when I flung myself backwards I hit the wall with my head and passed out. Lol

Quoting LauraKW:

I went under my desk for something I dropped and I hadn't backed out far enough when I tried to raise up. Bashed the back of my head and knocked me right back to the floor. Not sure how long I was under there.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

I once gave myself a concussion at a desk job. People can get hurt anywhere. Accidents happen.

What the heck did you do?!!

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Childbirth is pretty dangerous compared to some activities and yet we don't think twice about leaving our children motherless because we chose to have another child.

As a nurse I've been hit and kicked. I had one lady run at me like she was going to tackle me but my coworkers cut her off.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Until that age they cannot sign a contract or own anything in this state. So the thought of being 18 is that they could act as their own person if need be. Emotionally it is hard at any age. However, he is from a family where the minute you turn 18 you were out the house and on your own so that has a lot to do with it as well.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting stormcris:

You can be struck by lightening inside your own home. Danger is all around. No, mothers should not avoid them. However, my husband disagrees and feels that I as a mother should avoid all things, including convertibles, that are deemed more dangerous than average until my children hit 18. I can see his point. But, having been one of those people who were struck by lighting, and with both of us having the philosophy you die when you are meant to, I find it humorous and a bit moot.

I don't understand that age, 18? My dd will be in the middle of her senior year. Does your DH think that at the age of 18 you automatically don't need your mom anymore? Not for anything, just wait until the teen years, they need you MORE than ever. I just think it is silly that he actually picked an age. It is hard to lose your mom at any age, BTW. I think it is silly to say women should not be in risky jobs etc.. I don't understand that. As someone who has experienced death more than I have ever dreamed possible(including a child)most of those deaths were not caused by being in a risky situation.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

that's not really a dangerous job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)