Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So EXCITED for Ramadan!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 123 Replies
4 moms liked this

Only around a week left!   I will not be fasting much because of pregnancy but I am excited to get all the good deeds I can and because I won't be fasting as much I can do more to make things easy for my family inshallah! Also this year my husband isn't working as much so we can spend more of  Ramadan together, inshallah! 

17 hours where we are. I am hoping to make this last Ramadan where it's just the three of us extra special inshallah. Maybe a competition to see who can do the most good deeds in a day, or week? See who can learn the most Quran? Have a recitation competition? A Dinner after iftar cook off? Hmmm maybe go out before suhur and clean the park? OH! So many ideas!

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Asalaam alaikum Sister havent seen you around in a while. All is well, in sha Allah? 

I really havent made many plans for this year other than to fast and read, learn more Qur'an.

ummcarter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Walakum salam

I had a HARD first trimester and then I had so much housework and what not to catch up on. Then I got all hormanal and grumpy LOL. So now inshallah I am out of my funk and ready for the world inshallah.

What is your special Ramadan foods? I usually make pancakes for the first day's suhur, and make manti, koftas, and lots of Indian foods for dinners after Iftars. My husband does his annual lasagna (the one time a year he cooks lol) 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Asalaam alaikum Sister havent seen you around in a while. All is well, in sha Allah? 

I really havent made many plans for this year other than to fast and read, learn more Qur'an.

kiriis
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I'm not sure what you are celebrating. Can you please explain more about it?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I hope you have a nice Ramadan. I couldn't do the fasting. I would die. Ok, not really, but my sugars would not do well.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

:3 holidays are alway fun! Happy start to Ramadan to you!

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Nothing special, really, since it's so hot, Im thinking more along the lines of cool and rehydrating. 

Actually, Im planning on making lots of ful for suhor. Filling and full of fiber. lol

Quoting ummcarter:

Walakum salam

I had a HARD first trimester and then I had so much housework and what not to catch up on. Then I got all hormanal and grumpy LOL. So now inshallah I am out of my funk and ready for the world inshallah.

What is your special Ramadan foods? I usually make pancakes for the first day's suhur, and make manti, koftas, and lots of Indian foods for dinners after Iftars. My husband does his annual lasagna (the one time a year he cooks lol) 

Quoting muslimahpj:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kiriis:

I'm not sure what you are celebrating. Can you please explain more about it?

Ramadan. It's the holy month in the Islamic calendar. 

Question: What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast.
Answer: During the blessed month of Ramadan, Muslims all over the world abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs during the daylight hours. As a time to purify the soul, refocus attention on God, and practice self-sacrifice, Ramadan is much more than just not eating and drinking.

Muslims are called upon to use this month to re-evaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance. We are to make peace with those who have wronged us, strengthen ties with family and friends, do away with bad habits -- essentially to clean up our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings. The Arabic word for "fasting" (sawm) literally means "to refrain" - and it means not only refraining from food and drink, but from evil actions, thoughts, and words.

During Ramadan, every part of the body must be restrained. The tongue must be restrained from backbiting and gossip. The eyes must restrain themselves from looking at unlawful things. The hand must not touch or take anything that does not belong to it. The ears must refrain from listening to idle talk or obscene words. The feet must refrain from going to sinful places. In such a way, every part of the body observes the fast.

Therefore, fasting is not merely physical, but is rather the total commitment of the person's body and soul to the spirit of the fast. Ramadan is a time to practice self-restraint; a time to cleanse the body and soul from impurities and re-focus one's self on the worship of God.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I hope you have a nice Ramadan. I couldn't do the fasting. I would die. Ok, not really, but my sugars would not do well.

More than likely, you would be excused from fasting due to your health. 

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You should do good deeds all year long...
:P

Ill take some recipes though.
Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It starts on the 9th? I think. That's what my masjid says

I'm very excited too. Doors of hell are closed and satan is chained while doors of heaven are opened and blessings befall. Pray laylatul qadar!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)