Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PMs

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 104 Replies

So I've been thinking after a couple of years in this group about how often I send or get Private Messages and why I send or receive them.

I have sent them to other members to personally apologize for something that may have misunderstood in a thread after also apologizing in "public." 

I've sent them because I really like what someone has had to say.

I've sent them to those moms I've gotten to know over time to see how they are doing.

I've gotten them because someone wanted to apologize, even though it wasn't necessary.

I've gotten them because people didn't want to break TOS by asking about a specific incident in a public forum.

I've gotten the angry stalker-ish ones which make me laugh.  If I have something to say to someone, I can have my "spats" out in public for all to see.

What about you ladies?  What are your feelings on PMs?  Do you like them? Prefer to hash out disagreements in PMs than in public forums? Do you send them to check on your friends?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Mostly just to ask a more detailed question.

I am not good about opening PMs-

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I have particpated in all of the above EXCEPT for the "stalkerish" PMs. I don;t stalk and thankfully I have never been stalked.

I rarely PM. Mainly I will PM if I see one poster being ganged up. Or if someone was being mis-understood I will PM and let them know I i understand where they are coming from. All in all though, I much prefer to keep it public.

I also do not accept "friends." I feel a little bad about it. Some I would have accepted but then that would mean I would be breaking my "no making friends" rule and so I try very politely to deny the request. And hope no one takes it personally.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I've not sent or received many pm's in the recent year or so. Everyone I would want to pm is on my FB friend list and we keep in touch there.

I have pm'd 2 or 3 moms on here in the last several months asking for advice on topics they knew a lot about.

I prefer to hash out debates on the forum. If someone gets nasty I just stop debating with them. I don't have time for nasty people. I'm here to converse with intelligent women about topics that interest me. I'm not here to argue with strangers.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My favorites are ALWAYS the butt-hurt.  Well, butt-hurt trolls to be specific.  Well, actually, the butt-hurt trolls who delete their own posts, and then PM me to bitch me out, if we're really splitting hairs.   I live for those!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I occasionally send PM's when there is something I want to know and don't want to ask in the public forum for whatever reason. I don't mind getting them either, but have only ever gotten one strange one and even then the lady was polite.

I have sent PM's mostly to folks I like and respond to positively on the boards and have never sent a mean or angry one to anyone.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I almost never get them.

I did get one this week telling me that there was a huge rumor on CEHT that i was paganbaby's sister.

If I was pregnant, I would have peed myself laughing so hard.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Quoting NWP:

I occasionally send PM's when there is something I want to know and don't want to ask in the public forum for whatever reason. I don't mind getting them either, but have only ever gotten one strange one and even then the lady was polite.

I have sent PM's mostly to folks I like and respond to positively on the boards and have never sent a mean or angry one to anyone.

I might have sent one mean one, years ago...I just figure most people are like me, If I see a PM from certain SNs, I will delete without opening.

punky3175
by Punky on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM

How did that rumor even get started?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I almost never get them.

I did get one this week telling me that there was a huge rumor on CEHT that i was paganbaby's sister.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Who asked you that!

LOL....I always say go straight to the horses mouth if you wanna know something.

:)

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I almost never get them.

Neon Washable Paint

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I have particpated in all of the above EXCEPT for the "stalkerish" PMs. I don;t stalk and thankfully I have never been stalked.

I rarely PM.Mainly I will PM if I see one poster being ganged up. Or if someone was being mis-understood I will PM and let them know I i understand where they are coming from. All in all though, I much prefer to keep it public.

I also do not accept "friends." I feel a little bad about it. Some I would have accepted but then that would mean I would be breaking my "no making friends" rule and so I try very politely to deny the request. And hope no one takes it personally.

Just curious, but why a no friend rule? I understand wanting to keep things somewhat anonymous and I've been able to do that while also making some great friends. Only a few friends that I've met online know my real last name. I don't use it on my FB page.

I joined FB in 2006 and in 2008 I was going through a very rough time having a child recently diagnosed with Autism. I met so many wonderful people on CM that helped to lead me to local groups, Dr's, and also therapy providers in my area.  Many nights I cried alone in my home with only my Online friends as my support system. There are a few in this group particularly that really helped me through that rough time. I will be forever grateful to them for that. I never thought I could meet and care for people that I've only met online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)