Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obamacare Kicks Wives Off Husbands' Health Plans

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM
JRM
  • 100 Replies

**I KNOW THAT THE TITLE AND SPIN IS SEXIST, BUT I DID NOT WRITE THE PIECE. LET'S TRY TO GET PAST THE USE OF THE WORD "WIVES" AND PUT SPOUSE IN ITS PLACE. **

ObamaCare Kicks Wives Off Husbands' Health Plans

Dumped: An unintended consequence of the abomination that is called ObamaCare is the dropping of wives from husbands' employer-provided health care insurance. It's a de facto war on women.

ObamaCare is filled with grinding mandates. One of them requires that children remain covered by their parents' health care plans until they're 26 when their parents' insurance "provides dependent coverage of children."

The government calls this "protecting young adults." But insuring children long past the day they are dependent on their parents exposes companies, which will bear the added costs of paying the inevitable higher premiums. And in some cases, the extra expense could be significant.

So at many companies, something has to go. Quite often, the rational response to rising health insurance costs is to drop spouses, more specifically wives, from insurance plans. Sometimes it's the husbands who must go. But benefits experts have confirmed to MarketWatch that those who are kicked out of plans "tend to be women."

Employers also have a strong incentive to drop spouses because of a "per life" fee that ObamaCare requires from companies that insure their workers. That fee is now $1 or $2 per life. But it will be substantially more — $65 — in 2014.

The trend of dumping spouses will only accelerate when the federal health exchanges are open next year, health care experts told MarketWatch.

Employers are reluctant to leave spouses without coverage, and the exchanges will give the suddenly uninsured a place to land.

But it's unlikely the place they'll want to be after having become accustomed to the superior coverage from their spouses' plans.

Again, so much for President Obama's promise that under the Democrats' overhaul, "If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan."

The Democrats' "reform" has a malign knack for decoupling people from the health care arrangements they've worked so hard for so many years to achieve, and spouses aren't the only ones affected.

Many employees will lose their coverage when employers figure out that it's more cost-effective for them to stop insuring their workers and just let them fall into the exchanges.

How many? More than a few. The business journal McKinsey Quarterly surveyed 1,300 employers and found that "Overall, 30% of employers will definitely or probably stop offering ESI (Employer Sponsored Insurance) in the years after 2014."

But it's likely that a larger portion will actually make that choice as companies learn more about ObamaCare.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/022813-646270-affordable-care-act-pushes-women-off-insurance.htm?ven=OutBrainCP

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
4 moms liked this

We are feeling this already at work.  I work for a small company and we are getting killed on insurance costs.

My husband works at an assisted living facility.  EVERYTHING is getting cut.

I guess Obama thought magical money would pay for this, just like he thinks magical money will pay for everything else he does.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I'm still trying to find out why my last mammogram wasn't free. I thought they were supposed to be. My co pay went up for my oncology visit also. I'm waiting for the bills from the radiologist and oncologist to come in :-/

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Nothing will be free anymore, every copay will go up.

We need to pay for everyone else now.

Quoting fireangel5:

I'm still trying to find out why my last mammogram wasn't free. I thought they were supposed to be. My co pay went up for my oncology visit also. I'm waiting for the bills from the radiologist and oncologist to come in :-/

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM
7 moms liked this

Where is the link to this opinon piece with zero data? This makes NO sense. Interesting how Massachusetts has not fallen inot the deep pits of healthcare hell, but I digress. No one is getting 'kicked off' of anything. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

But it was so widely proclaimed that mammograms would now be free . I was told last summer that my mammos starting this year would be free. Just more smoke blown up our ass. 

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Nothing will be free anymore, every copay will go up.

We need to pay for everyone else now.

Quoting fireangel5:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/022813-646270-affordable-care-act-pushes-women-off-insurance.htm?ven=OutBrainCP

It was at the bottom of hte article. 

Quoting Thomigirl:

Where is the link to this opinon piece with zero data? This makes NO sense. Interesting how Massachusetts has not fallen inot the deep pits of healthcare hell, but I digress. No one is getting 'kicked off' of anything. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless they make a change it will also require some to have double coverage.  Employers must provide coverage for all employees meeting a certain criteria.  There is nothing to exempt those covered elsewhere.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this

This article is sexist as hell.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't take something that biased seriously. Everything in that article may be 100% fact but I can't get past the spin.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM
The mammogram mandate hasn't gone into effect yet *I believe*. Thought it was supposed to be 2014. As for your co-pay going up, does your company change insurance plans according to fiscal year or calendar year?

Quoting fireangel5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)