Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Diplomat's Wife Gets Thrown Out of Country Club for Breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

Diplomat's Wife Gets Thrown Out of Country Club for Breastfeeding

by Michele Zipp

breastfeedingThirty-six year-old Tom Neijens, his breastfeeding wife, Roseline Remans, 34, and baby Luka went to the Metropolis Country Club in White Plains looking for some lunch. Despite the fact they weren't members, they were granted a table. Why not, I suppose. They seem like a lovely family. Neijens is even a Belgian diplomat though he didn't flash his credentials. I checked out the club online and it's your typical fancy spot, started in 1922, members only, tons of rules kind of place where they play tennis and golf and use words like aquatics instead of swimming. I've never been. I'm sure it's lovely. I'm fairly certain I'd never get seated. But this family did. But once Roseline began breastfeeding Luka, all hell broke loose.

They were told to leave immediately because they were "disturbing the members" and were treated like terrorists Neijens said because of a black backpack. Then the cops showed up.

Neijens ia the first secretary of the Belgium Mission to the United Nations. He tried to calm the waitress who asked them to leave, but somewhere in the process the Greenburgh Police Department showed up reportedly asking to cordon off the area. One officer was said to have one hand on his gun, the other one his taser. Geez! Calm down!

All because a little baby was breastfeeding. Oh, and we can't forget that black backpack. Super suspicious stuff there. Naturally all this commotion got everyone upset and when the breastfeeding mom with tears in her eyes asked why people thought they were terrorists, one officer allegedly said, "In Sri Lanka, babies are used by terrorists."

Clearly the ritzy country club had never seen a breastfeeding mother before. Or a black backpack. Sure the family weren't members at the club, but someone let them dine there. But not baby! Baby is not allowed to eat out in the open. Take that child to the toilet where all the most delicious meals should be consumed! The cops called the incident a "cultural misunderstanding." The club has no comment so far.

Lots wrong with the world today. But what did we learn from this story? Country clubs have a stuffy reputation for good reason. Our society still doesn't accept breastfeeding as natural and not obscene.

What do you think of this story? Should the family been asked to leave the club because of the baby breastfeeding?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG....that poor family.

finnbar
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this
That is horrible. What a piss poor impression of our country's culture
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Note: Never dine in a Country Club. Most of them are super stuffy and are far more about appearances than dining or anything else which is why they only allow those of a particular income level in them and of course one must have the "right" designer label on their clothing.

This poor woman should NEVER have been asked to leave her table, let alone been told to leave the premises.

emeraldangel20
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
she wasn't thrown out, there's another post in here about it. cops were called but everyone changed their tone when they found out who he was
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

lol

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I guess my post wasn't good enough :meh:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You have had bad experiences because our old one and our current one are far from what you are describing.

Quoting meriana:

Note: Never dine in a Country Club. Most of them are super stuffy and are far more about appearances than dining or anything else which is why they only allow those of a particular income level in them and of course one must have the "right" designer label on their clothing.

This poor woman should NEVER have been asked to leave her table, let alone been told to leave the premises.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Someone created a third post too.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I guess my post wasn't good enough :meh:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I have always felt akward at them too. The look on the valet's face is always priceless when we hand him our keys for our 10 year old minivan.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

You have had bad experiences because our old one and our current one are far from what you are describing.

Quoting meriana:

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

"Cultural misunderstanding"???  Excuse me, but Americans breastfeed in public all the time.  This was not a "cultural" thing.  I get that it's a private club and they can have their own elitist rules if they wish, but they were just being assholes.  And I imagine it was all men who were freaking out...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)