Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

You may remember a week or so back, someone posted here about a court in California ordering the local Catholic church to reveal to the court a top secret dossier of internal stuff that the Church thought nobody knew about.

Well, how bad could it be?   Read on - the stuff has now been released...

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Replies (211-220):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Have a nice evening and a great 4th!!

Quoting RandRMomma:

LOL!

No one said that you couldn't post your opinion. But, posting your opinion doesn't make anyone exempt from judgment and scrutinization of that opinion, myself included.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM
You too!

Quoting fireangel5:

Have a nice evening and a great 4th!!

Quoting RandRMomma:

LOL!

No one said that you couldn't post your opinion. But, posting your opinion doesn't make anyone exempt from judgment and scrutinization of that opinion, myself included.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Find me a post where someone has said continuing to be a Catholic condones this behavior. Give me screen name and page number.

And you still didn't address my point. Is it improper to criticize the Church for this cover-up. It's a yes or no answer.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

No,that's not what those posting about public school teacher abusers is trying to say. They're making a point.

There have been many posts on this thread questioning why anyone would continue to be of a faith with this kind of problem.

Many posters are basically saying that continuing to be Catholic is somehow condoning this behavior, making Catholics themselves culpable.

So, if Catholics are stupid for raising their children in the church, or implicitly responsible for the actions of those priests, what does that say about people who send their children to public school, where abuse may be 100 times more prevalent than that in the Catholic church?

Quoting shannonnigans:I've never seen anything quite like this..... It's somehow improper to criticize this or even mention it if it happens in schools as well. As if that somehow diminishes the gravity of the situation. And the better question would be why would anyone want to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Is there an 'I'll pretend I'm surprised' sweetpea?

Let me look:

sidesplittinglaughterconfused

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I think 'peeped on a child' might be a bit of an understatement...

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Because the Church allows the priest to continue preaching in the Church after there is evidence that the priest peeped on a child

Quoting muslimah:

I myself am not real educated on anything about the church although I have heard plenty of a bad things. I am not a Christian let alone a Catholic and I don;t believe the teachings but for those who do I don't see how practicing their religion according to their belief makes them in the wrong. I know a person can practice their beliefs without supporting the bad things that have been done by other people.

Look at us Muslims. Most of us are believers without supporting terrorism so why is it that a Catholic can't practice and worship without supporting the pedophiles?

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I meant perped but my phone auto correct and I didn't know how to edit

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Because the Church allows the priest to continue preaching in the Church after there is evidence that the priest peeped on a child

Quoting muslimah:

I myself am not real educated on anything about the church although I have heard plenty of a bad things. I am not a Christian let alone a Catholic and I don;t believe the teachings but for those who do I don't see how practicing their religion according to their belief makes them in the wrong. I know a person can practice their beliefs without supporting the bad things that have been done by other people.

Look at us Muslims. Most of us are believers without supporting terrorism so why is it that a Catholic can't practice and worship without supporting the pedophiles?

muslimah
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting muslimah:

Do you pay money to an organisatin that pays a salary to someone known to have covered up terrorism?

I have been acused of it right here in this group for being a member of certain organizations such as Islamic Society of North America for one. But I don't consider it to be supporting terrorism.

I think I get your point here. You are trying to point out that if someone is a practicing Catholic then they must be supporting the church and their cover ups with money. If they are sending money to the church I could see where yes that is supporting it but as far as I know unless I am wrong one can believe the teachings and worship from their heart through prayer and study and donating their money some where else such as a Christian organization like missions or an orphanage or to help the homeless etc. there are many ways they can use their money for good  and if they are a person of morals then that is what they would do.  I personally think the religion is full of crap but who am I? People are free to worship however they wish and they should not all be judged because others took advantage of their position and did the unthinkable. The men of the church involved each and every one of them  not only hurt those children but they also did a disservice to the members beneath them who trusted them and looked up to them.  

muslimah
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting muslimah:

I understand that and I agree but not everyone of the faith is guilty. You can't blame everyone for what the men involved have done. Those men not only hurt those children but also did a diservice to their followers who trusted them and looked up to them. Those who knew and those who hid it or helped hide it are guilty yes but not everyone is guilty.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Ah... that makes more sense.

I've have said 'sexually molested' --I don't like sugar coating that one.

Quoting 1bluediamond:

I meant perped but my phone auto correct and I didn't know how to edit

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting muslimah:

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty sure the public school system hasn't been knowingly and willfully covering up sexual abuse and shuffling pedophile teachers to different schools to protect their reputation despite the suffering of children.

that's the difference.

Quoting candlegal:

That is the point, it is men, not the Church.   Many of you can't seem to comprehend that.   Does it bother you at all how many people send their children to government run schools with all the pedophiles running around there.   That affects a lot more children yet people refuse to see it because how could they justify sending their kids to school day after day after day.

Quoting greenie63:

Does any of this bother you at? I mean for just a minute couldn't you comprehend the severity of this? You support this behavior and are proud of it? It's ok with you that men have sexually abused children and it's ok with you? 

Quoting candlegal:

And they are off.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN