Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a dog be destroyed if it bites someone?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 226 Replies

A neighbor's dog, a yellow lab, recently bit a teen in the neighborhood and is being put down tomorrow. The teen antagonized the dog, however, by climbing the fence into the neighbor's yard and throwing stuff at it, hitting and kicking it, as he attempted to break into the neighbor's storage shed. The incident is all on tape thanks to the neighbor's security camera she'd installed after her shed was broken into numerous times, but the law says if the dog bites, it's put down, period.

Do you agree that dogs should always be euthanized if they bite someone?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
4 moms liked this

No

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
27 moms liked this

My moms dog bite a guy that broke into her house. He wasn't put down but he was quarantined for 10 days. Its a ridiculous law, if you provoke an animal you should pay the consequences. 

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM
No I don't.
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
Always? No. It depends on the circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
7 moms liked this

If a dog bites someone who is attacking it... in its own fenced-in yard... no, the dog is not at fault. Poor dog.

Now, if your dog is loose and running down the street and bites someone, put it down.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

1 bite? No

We had a dog that became a fear biter- only bit men (he was not medically sick). We did the retrain...His final bite was my husband. We did put him down after the 5th bite.

He was also headstrong and a bolter- we had recently moved and on day 1 this dog hopped a 6 foot fence and entered the yard of our neighbor...who owned and operated an in-home daycare. He could no longer be trusted.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

No.

However, I also have personally seen many aggressive dogs the DEFINATELY needed to be put down when I worked rescue.

Where I live, the circumstances are taken into account.  A dog defending property is not at fault.  However, a dog walking in the park biting a child could be required to wear a muzzle in public.

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
9 moms liked this
No. Any animal, even human,, can only rake so much before they lash out. The stupid kid who got bit should be charged with trespassing and animal cruelty.
gammie
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

No they should be able to protect the home or their love ones.

The people who antagonizid the pets should be the ones to get euthanized.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
4 moms liked this

No, I do not agree that any dog who bites some one should be put down.  This dog should not be put down. The dog was in it's own yard and this kid made the choice to enter that area, which was illegal, and attempt to break in to their shed.  He deserved to be bit by the dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured