Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

compassion in the abortion debate

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 329 Replies
4 moms liked this

After reading posts for years about abortion, I realized today what has been bothering me so much. The people arguing against abortion almost always have no compassion in their vocabulary for women. Why is that? Why do anti-choice women have no room for compassion and an understanding of the extremely painful lives that women who have abortion endure? There seems to only be room for indignation for the unborn.

Here is a brief list of what some women go through prior to an abortion:

rape

incest

sex trafficking

abuse and trauma

no sex education

a lifetime of being taught their sexuality is meaningless

a lifetime of being taught subservience to men

using drugs and alcohol to self-medicate

poverty

depression

hopelessness

no access to higher education

isolation

coercion

Anit-choice ladies: I think people MIGHT be a little more open to you if you added some compassion into your vocabulary.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
10 moms liked this
Now go look up some stats on the reasons women get abortions. Rape, incest and abuse make up a tiny fraction of the number of abortions performed.

And I am sorry but I do not see many of those reasons as legitimate reasons to take the life of your child.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Now go look up some stats on the reasons women get abortions. Rape, incest and abuse make up a tiny fraction of the number of abortions performed.

And I am sorry but I do not see many of those reasons as legitimate reasons to take the life of your child.

It took me years to admit that I was raped. Even if only one raped woman a year needs an abortion, she is deserving of compassion in the abortion discussion.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
what about a woman in abusive relationship who knows if she tells her husband no hes not only going beat the hell oit of but rape her too? a lot of women don't tell the truth when getting an abortion as to their reasons. I watched a video a few weeks back showing a guy tqking girls as young as 12 to a planned parenthood to get forced abortions because they were his prostitutes and he their pimp. he filled out their paperwork as their father.these girls could barely speak English do ypu think they were telling truth as how got pregnant?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I am pro choice but I feel like people don't realize that those  reasons happen more then they want to realize especially the incest issues and the sex trafficking.  Its not always oh no girl gets pregnant  ten times and gets a abortion. I try not to get into abortion debates because neither side will ever back down and then it turns ugly. 

CafeMom Tickers
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM
5 moms liked this

This is a perfect example of what my post is about. You are coming off as arrogant, callous, and quite unlikeable.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

The sad thing is people won't acknowledge that stuff like that happens. Half the time people think prostitutes are of legal age when a good chunk of them are 12-16 because those ages are easy to manipulate

Quoting colins_mom:

what about a woman in abusive relationship who knows if she tells her husband no hes not only going beat the hell oit of but rape her too? a lot of women don't tell the truth when getting an abortion as to their reasons. I watched a video a few weeks back showing a guy tqking girls as young as 12 to a planned parenthood to get forced abortions because they were his prostitutes and he their pimp. he filled out their paperwork as their father.these girls could barely speak English do ypu think they were telling truth as how got pregnant?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

CafeMom Tickers
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this

There are no reliable stats on what percentage of abortions are performed on rape, incest and abuse victims.  It would be an impossibility because most of those crimes go unreported.

How very, very short sighted of you.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Lizardannie1966
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
9 moms liked this

I've read some incredibly disgusting things in abortion debates from the alleged "Pro Life" set, particularly here on CM, that makes my skin crawl. Some of these women are absolutely insane. I-N-S-A-N-E!

And I write "alleged" because how can a person claim to be Pro Life when I've actually seen a few women call for the harm or even death of a woman who chooses to abort?

Quoting desertlvn:
The people arguing against abortion almost always have no compassion in their vocabulary for women. Why is that? Why do anti-choice women have no room for compassion and an understanding of the extremely painful lives that women who have abortion endure?
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I have opinions. Some agree with and some don't. I do not base my opinions or beliefs on whether I will win friends with them. Agree...disagree...I don't care. But I will not change my view just to make someone else feel better about a choice they made.

Quoting desertlvn:

This is a perfect example of what my post is about. You are coming off as arrogant, callous, and quite unlikeable.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

PeeperSqueak5
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

This....and Pro-Lifer's are probably the most compassionate as we not only speak and care for the unborn, but also the mother, father and family of this baby.  It effects everybody for life.....the birthdate/abort date comes around each year. Complications for future births and health problems in the future.  Pro-lifers do all this and get no thanks from the babies that are saved.....mainly harassment.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN