Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin Off Are you comforted or uneasy about the militarization of the police?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 35 Replies

They have tanks, missiles, and military tactical training.  Is that comforting to you?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I need more info on the particulars.  

themissheather
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM
No. It makes me uneasy and reinforces why I wish I could move out of this country.
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
It doesn't happen a lot and I know that it shouldn't happen; but, I really hate it when police officers carrying military grade weapons ask me, "do you have your greencards?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Like?  After 911 the feds made military equipment available to muni forces.  Since then many departments have obtained armored carriers, tanks, and higher power weaponry.  A member of NYPD told me they have missiles.  I am sure I can source that if I dig a bit.  I have some pictures of police tanks from around the country saved on my puter brb  Ok all I found on my puter is this one but google it if you doubt me. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hmmm... I'll have to think on this.  I see positives and negatives...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Like?  After 911 the feds made military equipment available to muni forces.  Since then many departments have obtained armored carriers, tanks, and higher power weaponry.  A member of NYPD told me they have missiles.  I am sure I can source that if I dig a bit.  I have some pictures of police tanks from around the country saved on my puter brb  Ok all I found on my puter is this one but google it if you doubt me. 

Clearly I need more coffee. lol

I'm not sure 'why' we are outfitting our local police departments with such gear.  Fear, I would suppose.  Of what, or whom, exactly is probably a loaded question.

It would be interesting to know how these police officers are trained before they are handed certain weapons or allowed to operate a tank and such.  Under which circumstances, exactly, are they permitted to bring out the big guns, so to speak.

Just as I feel with the military, not every one who puts on that uniform and is handed a weapon is the type of person who should be doing so.  It can be hard to weed out those who truly have no business being part of any gun club.

Tag3.0
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

lOL, its not the police you should be worried about, its the military and the laws being enacted to allow us to come into your cities in order to win the war on terror.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I'm not sure 'why' we are outfitting our local police departments with such gear.  Fear, I would suppose.  Of what, or whom, exactly is probably a loaded question.

It would be interesting to know how these police officers are trained before they are handed certain weapons or allowed to operate a tank and such.  Under which circumstances, exactly, are they permitted to bring out the big guns, so to speak.

Just as I feel with the military, not every one who puts on that uniform and is handed a weapon is the type of person who should be doing so.  It can be hard to weed out those who truly have no business being part of any gun club.

In the bad neighborhoods in our bigger cities these vehicles are routinely used to pull doors off of houses for drug raids.  I have seen times when the whole structure was compromised.

As far as artillery I dont know what circumstance would bring that out.

I mean military issue weapons are carried by swat but I dont know about missiles or their protocol.

I dont like it.  We have Armed Forces and the Nat Guard, I dont think its necessary at all to arm police this way.

A few yrs ago I was camping at a state park. One day the camp ground filled up for a joint forces training mission.  There were a lot of things I found unsettling about the firepower displyed and the military nature of the exercises.  The military cant afford to have a heart but the police need one imho.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

We have had a number of incidents here locally with gunmen barricading themselves in houses or rigging explosives.  The gear in the picture isn't what you see on a regular basis but is brought out when a situation arises where they need more personal protection.  

I don't generally have a problem with the extra protection/gear given the situations where it has been used.  

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured