Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Military Coup in Egypt

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 40 Replies

CAIRO — Egypt’s military officers removed the country’s first democratically elected president, Mohamed Morsi, on Wednesday, suspended the Constitution and installed an interim government presided over by a senior jurist.

Tahrir Square, where tens of thousands of opponents of the government had gathered each night since Sunday to demand Mr. Morsi’s removal, erupted in fireworks and jubilation at news of the ouster. At a square near the presidential palace where Mr. Morsi’s Islamist supporters had gathered, men broke into tears and vowed to stay until he was reinstated or they were forcibly removed. “The dogs have done it and made a coup against us,” they chanted. “Dying for the sake of God is more sublime than anything,” a speaker declared.

Mr. Morsi rejected the generals’ actions as a “complete military coup.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/world/middleeast/egypt.html?pagewanted=all

This is disturbing.  I have no confidence in the new leadership in maintaining democracy in Egypt.  The forceful ouster of a freely elected president, and a media black out.  That doesn't seem like democracy to me at all.  I pray for the safety of the people and hope that violence is kept to a minimum.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Im hoping that there wont be much violence at all. Im also concerned that the military will not let go of power. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

What is your hubs take on this? If you dont want to share in here, you know where you can. :)

Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM
It concerns me too, but even though they finally had a democratically elected president, didn't he turn around and basically give himself the powers of a dictator? I'm so sad for Egypt that all of the fighting to have an elected president has turned out like this.
I guess I don't know enough about it all to know if Morsi was a step up, or just a step sideways from the last governmental power in Egypt.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM

What I am suspicious of is the media blackout.  They kicked out AlJazeera and shut down like 5 channels.  And they arrested a bunch of Muslim Brotherhood people for nothing, I mean people who were just serving as ministers and such, not the corrupt assholes who were in under Mubarack's dictatorship, robbing the country blind.

I was not a huge Morsi fan, he was really too conservative for me, but kicking out the elected president who had no intention of extending his term ala Mubarack just seems so wrong.  I mean if the public really turned against him, they could have brought him up on charges.  It's not like Morsi had any cohorts in the courts.  But doing it this way seems like it's opening the door for another dictator.

I'm hoping the Military leadership behind this is divided enough to turn the power back to the people and not just get behind some random person and install another dictator.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Im hoping that there wont be much violence at all. Im also concerned that the military will not let go of power. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Im with you. This stinks. We were watching the channels on youtube go one by one. smh.

I dont see how they are going to improve if they keep doing this. They are going to have to let someone stay in power long enough to get things started. I think many were expecting things to be fixed over night and when it wasnt, they wanted him out. 30 yrs of corruption to be fixed in one year?? Come on.

Quoting stacymomof2:

What I am suspicious of is the media blackout.  They kicked out AlJazeera and shut down like 5 channels.  And they arrested a bunch of Muslim Brotherhood people for nothing, I mean people who were just serving as ministers and such, not the corrupt assholes who were in under Mubarack's dictatorship, robbing the country blind.

I was not a huge Morsi fan, he was really too conservative for me, but kicking out the elected president who had no intention of extending his term ala Mubarack just seems so wrong.  I mean if the public really turned against him, they could have brought him up on charges.  It's not like Morsi had any cohorts in the courts.  But doing it this way seems like it's opening the door for another dictator.

I'm hoping the Military leadership behind this is divided enough to turn the power back to the people and not just get behind some random person and install another dictator.

Quoting muslimahpj:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

He is also very nervous about the media black out.  He thinks it is a step backward and has no confidence in the motives of the top military.  He is hoping that the military will not allow another dictator to be installed.

We have family in Cairo and while the younger family members didn't support Morsi we are hoping they stay out of the streets and don't get hurt.  My hubs has 3 nephews who are 19-20 and they are the age to get all hot about something like this.

Quoting muslimahpj:

What is your hubs take on this? If you dont want to share in here, you know where you can. :)

Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM
That's a very good point. Maybe if he had made it through his term they could organize another democratic election and work towards making it better... It does seen like they just went back to square one. I really wonder who they (the military) plan to give power to now? Do they have a plan?

Quoting muslimahpj:

Im with you. This stinks. We were watching the channels on youtube go one by one. smh.

I dont see how they are going to improve if they keep doing this. They are going to have to let someone stay in power long enough to get things started. I think many were expecting things to be fixed over night and when it wasnt, they wanted him out. 30 yrs of corruption to be fixed in one year?? Come on.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting muslimahpj:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont know who they plan on replacing him with. I dont know if they are planning on another election or what.

Quoting Elyssa414:

That's a very good point. Maybe if he had made it through his term they could organize another democratic election and work towards making it better... It does seen like they just went back to square one. I really wonder who they (the military) plan to give power to now? Do they have a plan?

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting muslimahpj:

lovingislam
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this
They wanted the corruption fixed all while some of the old regime was working against him too! We also worry that the country is now headed in a worse direction than when Mubarak was in power! God bless them all!

Quoting muslimahpj:Im with you. This stinks. We were watching the channels on youtube go one by one. smh.I dont see how they are going to improve if they keep doing this. They are going to have to let someone stay in power long enough to get things started. I think many were expecting things to be fixed over night and when it wasnt, they wanted him out. 30 yrs of corruption to be fixed in one year?? Come on.Quoting stacymomof2:What I am suspicious of is the media blackout.  They kicked out AlJazeera and shut down like 5 channels.  And they arrested a bunch of Muslim Brotherhood people for nothing, I mean people who were just serving as ministers and such, not the corrupt assholes who were in under Mubarack's dictatorship, robbing the country blind.I was not a huge Morsi fan, he was really too conservative for me, but kicking out the elected president who had no intention of extending his term ala Mubarack just seems so wrong.  I mean if the public really turned against him, they could have brought him up on charges.  It's not like Morsi had any cohorts in the courts.  But doing it this way seems like it's opening the door for another dictator.I'm hoping the Military leadership behind this is divided enough to turn the power back to the people and not just get behind some random person and install another dictator.Quoting muslimahpj:Im hoping that there wont be much violence at all. Im also concerned that the military will not let go of power. 
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Exactly.  

Everyone is so hot there, and the revolution is so new still.  And the Egyptian versions of Ann Coulter and Glenn Beck are scaring people with random accusations and distracting people with stupid crap.  Remember the whole "Egypt wants to make it legal to have sex with your dead wife" bullshit?  Ugh.

And most people on the outside looking in can't identify the bs either, I can't tell you how many times people pullo random articles from crazy biased papers owned by Mubarack regime people and say "hey, this is from a paper in EGYPT" as though that somehow makes it reliable.  

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN