Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California teacher arrested for having baby with student

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM
  • 35 Replies

REDLANDS, Calif., July 3 (UPI) --
A 28-year-old teacher in California was placed on administrative leave after she gave birth to a baby fathered by one of her students, police said.

Laura Elizabeth Whitehurst was arrested Monday for her alleged sexual relationship last summer with the teen who was 16 at the time, The (Riverside, Calif.) Press-Enterprise reported Tuesday. Police confirmed the teen is the father of the baby born June 18.

Whitehurst was released on $25,000 bail Monday evening, the newspaper said. Charges have not been filed.

The Citrus Valley High School teacher served as an adviser for a school organization in which the student participated, said Redlands police spokesman Carl Baker.

The two began talking outside school and eventually met at her home, he added.

The boy's mother contacted the school district Monday after police said the teen allegedly told his mother about the baby.

Whitehurst is the third teacher in a year accused of a sexual relationship with a student in the Inland Empire metropolitan area of California, which includes Riverside, San Bernadino and Ontario, the newspaper said.

source

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
What the hell is wrong with people? What 28 yr old 'grown' person looks at a teenaged child and gets turned on sexually?

I walk though my kids' high school and they all look like little boys to me. And looking at guys in their early-to-mid 20's look like kids.

I just don't get it.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I don't get it either, sickos.

Quoting punky3175:

What the hell is wrong with people? What 28 yr old 'grown' person looks at a teenaged child and gets turned on sexually?

I walk though my kids' high school and they all look like little boys to me. And looking at guys in their early-to-mid 20's look like kids.

I just don't get it.

4boysNme
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
It makes me sad to think my DS(who is a naive almost 14) could become involved in a situation like this. It almost makes you scared to have them involved in extra curricular activities which are so important for college!
4boysNme
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
It seems to me a rash of these cases lately involving female teachers and male students is starting to make parents more aware of the life changing outcomes of these relationships! Where before it was more common for outrage to be directed at male teachers while the female teachers would only get a slap on the wrist
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM
4 moms liked this

This teacher should punished to the fullest extent of the law.  It's doubly tragic that a baby is now involved.  I'm sure this 16 yo boy is not ready to be a father.  

How stupid can people be.  SMH  (that's "shaking my head", Judy)  

:)

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Even I knew that one Sherry       :)

Quoting PurdueMom:

This teacher should punished to the fullest extent of the law.  It's doubly tragic that a baby is now involved.  I'm sure this 16 yo boy is not ready to be a father.  

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

She should be punished to the full extent of the law.  I don't understand how any adult can find a child sexually attractive.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

That is really sad.  That poor boy.

PestPatti
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quoting PurdueMom:

I agree..  You would think they learned after Mary Kay Laterno went to jail.. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad she was arrested and will receive the punishment she deserves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN