Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Slipping Back Into Dictatorship

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 105 Replies

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's state-owned printing press refused to print Thursday's edition of a newspaper run by the Muslim Brotherhood's political arm, the party said, in the latest sign of a crackdown after the army ousted elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

The Freedom and Justice newspaper, named after the political party that ruled Egypt until Wednesday, posted on its website that Al-Ahram printing press had refused to print its paper.

Two Al-Ahram officials contacted by Reuters said they did not have knowledge of the issue.

"There's no court decision to prevent our paper from being printed, this is illegal," Islam Tawfiq, a member of the FJP's media committee, told Reuters. "This points to a restriction of freedoms after the coup," he said.

Hours after General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced a plan for a new political transition on Wednesday, authorities shut down three Islamist-run TV stations, including the Brotherhood's Egypt25 channel.

Egypt25 was forced off air and its managers arrested. Security forces raided Al Jazeera's Egypt channel and its crew there was also detained.

A number of senior leaders of the Brotherhood were detained or their arrests were ordered overnight. Mursi himself is in military custody, army and Brotherhood sources say.

http://news.yahoo.com/brotherhood-party-says-egypt-state-press-refuses-print-141533007.html

I myself have a satellite box that brings me in all the television stations from all over the Arab world and North Africa and have found that as of yesturday  almost immediately after the over throw most Egyptian stations went blank and are still blank.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this
I've mostly been following this story through the lens of my anarchist dad's facebook postings.

I feel like, as a complete outsider tying to look in, I cant possibly understand the many nuances of this struggle, so for the most part I am witholding judgement. I am in prayer for the people of Egypt though, that they can have a home where they are safe from violence and free from oppression.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I am getting most updates from people on fb who are in Egypt. Lots of chaos
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Isn't the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization?

muslimah
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

No.They are a legit political party that stands for democracy.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Why do I see so many articles here in the states that say they are extremists with terrorist ties?

muslimah
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Why do I see so many articles here in the states that say they are extremists with terrorist ties?

Because that is what they want people to think. The largest Muslim organization in North America which most American Sunnis belong to and most Sunni mosque are run by were partially set up by the Muslim Brotherhood although mostly funded by the Saudis which is why they all came under investigation and after investigation after investigation their was no finding of terrorist affiliation. Do you remember or know about the Holy Land Foundation scandal that went on years keeping innocent American Muslims imprisoned for years just to find in the end that they were not guilty or they could not prove any guilt? That was all because of ties to the Brotherhood and accusations of support for Hamas. Boy did the federal government ever make an ass out of their self with that one not to mention all the tax money wasted that went into it.

The United States has a policy not to negotiate or have any dealings with terrorist right? Well if the Brotherhood was a terrorist organization their victory in fair free elections that won Mohammed Morsi his seat as president of Egypt would have never been recognized as legit by the U.S.A. just like how the U.S.A. wont recognize Hamas as a legit voted in fair and square elected by the people of Gaza because the U.S.A. considers them to be a terrorist organization.

ummcarter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I don't know more than what NPR and the BBC put on the radio but it seems ridiculous that they had another coupe. The elected the guy and the elections were legit for the most part. Not perfect but they are a new democracy. I wasn't a fan of the guy but he was elected so you just wait and vote for so eone else. We didn't even have a constitution for 15 or 20 years, just the articles of confederation. It can take a while and there was a lot of problems. I know egypt has had to wait a long time for democracy but just because it doesn't turn out how you want doesn't mean you should chuck th3 baby out with the bath water.
ummcarter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I am not sure how to put this other than, you think the media never lies?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I am aware that there are lies all the time in the media, but I find it more than a bit suspect when it crosses multiple news outlets. Kwim?

Quoting ummcarter:

I am not sure how to put this other than, you think the media never lies?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Because that is what they want people to think. The largest Muslim organization in North America which most American Sunnis belong to and most Sunni mosque are run by were partially set up by the Muslim Brotherhood although mostly funded by the Saudis which is why they all came under investigation and after investigation after investigation their was no finding of terrorist affiliation. Do you remember or know about the Holy Land Foundation scandal that went on years keeping innocent American Muslims imprisoned for years just to find in the end that they were not guilty or they could not prove any guilt? That was all because of ties to the Brotherhood and accusations of support for Hamas. Boy did the federal government ever make an ass out of their self with that one not to mention all the tax money wasted that went into it.

The United States has a policy not to negotiate or have any dealings with terrorist right? Well if the Brotherhood was a terrorist organization their victory in fair free elections that won Mohammed Morsi his seat as president of Egypt would have never been recognized as legit by the U.S.A. just like how the U.S.A. wont recognize Hamas as a legit voted in fair and square elected by the people of Gaza because the U.S.A. considers them to be a terrorist organization.

I think the rule is to not have negotiations with terrorists. There must be a reason the US considers Hamas to be a terrorist organization.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN