Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Westboro Baptist Church won't be labeled a hate group, White House says

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 21 Replies

The White House says it can't fulfill a request to deem a group that protests at soldiers' funerals a hate group.

But it says President Obama believes such actions are reprehensible.

The Obama administration is responding to petitions through the White House website to label the Westboro Baptist Church a hate group and revoke its tax-exempt status.

Almost 700,000 people signed five related petitions.

The group claims when American troops die, it's God's punishment for America tolerating homosexuality and abortion.

The White House says the federal government doesn't maintain a list of hate groups. But it's releasing a map showing where the petition-signers come from.

The map shows high density in Kansas, where the Westboro group is based, and Connecticut, where church members threatened to picket Newtown victims' funerals.

News link

I bolded the "The White House says the federal government doesn't maintain a list of hate groups" part as that is bullshit.  

FBHO

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KGreen75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
The White House needs to grow a set of balls.

They are absolutely a hate group, because they hate gay people, call them fags and tell them they will burn in hell. Fuck the White House.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

There isn't enough in this one story for me to form an opinion, one way or the other.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I'm fairly certain I've recently seen an actual list of what the gov deems as 'hate groups'. The Catholic church was on the list, as well as other Christian denominations.

Linus77
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a very dangerous game to label the group as a hate group for the fear it will cause a description to be made about what is a hate group and what is not.  Pro-life, Pro-choice, Pro-abortion, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, circumcision, anti-circumcision, Israel supporters, Palestine supports....and on and on...could all, or only one side, could get deemed a hate group.  It sucks that such a truly hateful group plays the fence and takes advantage to a point that we are stuck in how to deal with them.

I do think that whoever they picket should be allowed to take preventative measures, especially during times of grieving.  I'm not talking petitions, but body guards that can use tasers, paintball guns, mace, or gas if they get rowdy...or set up a sprinkler system to go off when they are there.  A group may be able to legally "protest", but there should be allowances for repercussions.

FoxFire363
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM
The White House may not maintain such a list, but I'm pretty sure the FBI does. Nice cop out.
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I am glad to hear that.

I do not agree with them but support their right to speak and protest.
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM
According to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), hate groups' "primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization

They clearly fall into the hate group description.
Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

They are a hate group and should be treated as such.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I agree with you. That would be a slippery slope.

The WBC does not usually get violent so the guards would not be necessary. The wall of support seems to work the best.

Quoting Linus77:

I think it's a very dangerous game to label the group as a hate group for the fear it will cause a description to be made about what is a hate group and what is not.  Pro-life, Pro-choice, Pro-abortion, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, circumcision, anti-circumcision, Israel supporters, Palestine supports....and on and on...could all, or only one side, could get deemed a hate group.  It sucks that such a truly hateful group plays the fence and takes advantage to a point that we are stuck in how to deal with them.

I do think that whoever they picket should be allowed to take preventative measures, especially during times of grieving.  I'm not talking petitions, but body guards that can use tasers, paintball guns, mace, or gas if they get rowdy...or set up a sprinkler system to go off when they are there.  A group may be able to legally "protest", but there should be allowances for repercussions.

muslimah
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I read about this earlier in the news. I though about posting it but with all the other postings about Christian these last coulple days I best not to. Any ways. I don't believe this is how God intended true Christianity to be. They are a small minority and should be ignored. In time they will go way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN