Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Michelle Obama’s “Approved Foods List” Cancelled In Schools After Kids Refuse To Eat

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 334 Replies
1 mom liked this

Michelle Obama’s “Approved Foods List” Cancelled In Schools After Kids Refuse To Eat

July 4, 2013 5:08pm PST Facebook Twitter

Some kids like returning to school in Fall more than others, but all the kids in Catlin, Illinois, are going to be happy this year when they go back. Their school district has decided to opt out of the Michelle Obama-controlled National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Although the program’s purpose was to have kids eat healthier food, what actually happened is that many kids refused to eat the food they ended up getting, while others, even if they did eat it, weren’t getting enough to satisfy the caloric requirements of active, growing children

Superintendent Gary Lewis told the local newspaper the thinking that led to the district’s decision. “We’re going to have the freedom to do more stuff with our own program, and we want to give people options.” There were good practical reasons for the change. Instead, of getting more children to eat healthy food, the NSLP’s impact on the school district was to see more food end up in the garbage. Lewis explained that, “When the federal government changed the nutrition guidelines, they became very restrictive.

“If a kid is hungry, they’re not going to be able to concentrate in class. We need to work to make sure they’re full. That will increase their potential.  “We had to not only offer vegetables but vegetables of a certain color, and we had to offer them so many times a week. I will eat kale. But if I tried to get my 11- and 7-year-old to eat kale, they will look at me like, ‘What are you putting on my plate?’” Not only were the children unhappy, so were the parents. They seem willing to pay the “slightly” increased meal prices that will result from opting out of Michelle’s program.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM
33 moms liked this
If you aren't going to eat what is provided, then pack your own lunch.
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

LOL guess they did not appreciate Wookiee food.

punky3175
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
My daughter finally started bringing her own lunch this year because she was not happy with the selections at school.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

If you aren't going to eat what is provided, then pack your own lunch.
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
9 moms liked this
Couldn't the kids have brought their own food. I mean I would prefer my dd eat kale then processed chicken patty that I got served at school
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
7 moms liked this
Kids are pretty picky sometimes. At least, that's what I've noticed. Because we are an interracial couple, we did introduce a large variety of cuisines and foods to our kids, and I think that's why ours tend to be so open to trying things. When I've babysat before, I had a lot of problems getting kids to eat unless I gave them a lunch able or something similar.

We need to train kids to have better eating habits.
gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
7 moms liked this

Some lunches from home were confiscated by some schools and then kids were given chicken nuggets instead.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
20 moms liked this
So, they resort to serving unhealthy foods, when all these kids had to do was bring a lunch from home?! This is the problem with America. There are so many children that would have been happy for those "nasty" vegetables, and these kids wasted them and complained that they were hungry.

My father used to make us breakfast, lunch, and dinner growing up. If we didn't like what he fixed, we didn't eat. I went one time without eating dinner, because I didn't like it. I never did that again. Some food is better than no food. If you don't like the options, bring your own food.

Also, this article is extremely biased. Michelle isn't a lawmaker in control of these programs. She endorsed them.

*****Edited for typos.
Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
13 moms liked this
This same complaint is nationwide. Many of the children are not getting enough food and for many children, what they get at school is all they get. I'm sure kale tastes a lot different to children when prepared by a private school or White House chef than when prepared by a school lunch lady.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Sure.

Quoting gsprofval:

Some lunches from home were confiscated by some schools and then kids were given chicken nuggets instead.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I heard about that happening and it made no sense

Quoting gsprofval:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)