Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this group is accepting of new members?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM
  • 103 Replies
So, do you think this group is harsh to newbies? Would you give any advice to people who have joined?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:24 AM
3 moms liked this

It tends to depend on what they say. I think all members are somewhat tested when people disagree with what they present or how they present their ideas. My advice is to take it in stride and hang in there. Be prepared to offer evidence to back your position.

Patientchild3
Happy day ladies
Yesterday at 10:13 AM
by QueenMom on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM
I like coming here because it's informative,, lots of helpful info when you own a group.. but I think members are harsh to others just be you and keep it moving..
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM
5 moms liked this
I hate to say this but I do have a list of people, both conservative and liberal, that I ignore. I like to have discussions and don't really have the desire to get into a pissing match. At least most days.

Quoting Patientchild3:

I like coming here because it's informative,, lots of helpful info when you own a group.. but I think members are harsh to others just be you and keep it moving..

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:53 AM

I think it depends on how they handle questioning.  I mean Ive seen newbies just answer the question, and Ive seen newbies get highly offended.

old members tend to be harsher on newbies.

Ive done both....but on the main I try to reserve judgement and take on a mummy tone.  

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting smalltowngal:

So, do you think this group is harsh to newbies? Would you give any advice to people who have joined?

It depends, I think, on the communication style the new poster is used to from their previous hang-outs.

Someone who is used to posting lots of fluff, and saying what is just in their mind, relying upon other posters knowing them personally and so being kind in how they interpret the words, may be in for a bit of a shock.

My advice would be to give context for what you post or reply to.   Don't just say what you are thinking, but also say why you are thinking that and, where possible, provide links to what you've quoted from outside sources, or examples of what you are reacting to.  If you make a claim, be willing to back it up with evidence, or withdraw it.  If you are just offering a personal opinion, rather than making a claim, then make that distinction clear.

Also, where possible, insert qualifiers when talking about groups of people, even if you think the qualifiers should just be taken as read by people of good will.  So say "Some Republicans are racist" rather than "Republicans are racist", or "Many Democrats are atheists" rather than "No true bible-Believing Christian could ever vote for Obama".

And when people take the time to reply to you, listen to them and actually respond to what they've written.  Don't assume other posters exist just for your own amusement, and delete threads when you're done with them.

Oh, and never ever ask about the crimson hippopotamus.

LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd say so, yes. 

If they don't like your views you are harassed.  If you are conservative and Christian, you're not going to get as warm a welcome. 

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never had a problem. I usually find I have good discussions or debates with people verses people just being bitchy. I've had a few bitchy people who just think they will change your opinion or mind by being hateful, mean or bitchy but I think it's far worse in other groups. Most people seem to be more intelligent and just open to a good discussion.

Patientchild3
Happy day ladies
Yesterday at 10:13 AM
by QueenMom on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:16 AM
O yea I agree a passing match can get nasty and they will boot you outta here and off cm quick.. Some pretty good topics out right now though how long have u been on cm...

Quoting smalltowngal:

I hate to say this but I do have a list of people, both conservative and liberal, that I ignore. I like to have discussions and don't really have the desire to get into a pissing match. At least most days.

Quoting Patientchild3:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with a lot this. There have been some great discussions over the years.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I've never had a problem. I usually find I have good discussions or debates with people verses people just being bitchy. I've had a few bitchy people who just think they will change your opinion or mind by being hateful, mean or bitchy but I think it's far worse in other groups. Most people seem to be more intelligent and just open to a good discussion.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:19 AM
6 years. I think I have been in this group for 4 or 5 years.

Quoting Patientchild3:

O yea I agree a passing match can get nasty and they will boot you outta here and off cm quick.. Some pretty good topics out right now though how long have u been on cm...

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Patientchild3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured