Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cyclothymia

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM
  • 17 Replies

Does anyone know anything about this condition?

I am seeing a lot of conflicting information on it as to medicate it, do not medicate it, people who have this need really have to have learn to respond to their internal clocks, food is a big deal with it, it used to be considered a personality type....etc.

My son was just diagnosed with it.

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I had never heard of it but it seems to be a milder form of bi polar?

I do have a lot of experience with bi polar...but only with adults.

My cousin is bi-polar and she isnt medicated.  She is lucky enough to lean more to manic rather than depressive.  We have learnt to recognise the markers with her.... when she is on a high for more than a week there is a big risk of a bad low straight after.

I dont know if bi polar is similar for most or different for all....but I would start watching my son for those prolonged highs....and be ready for a low.

Good luck :-)

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Question :-)

Why is food a big deal?

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Several resources say that diet plays a key role in the prevention of development of this into bipolar disorder as a balanced diet helps keeps moods stable as a person with this is more susceptible to changes in mood related to nutritional deficiency. Cognitive decline from a fatty diet is said also to trend the person toward the development on bipolar disorder. 

Quoting turtle68:

Why is food a big deal?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

hmmmm....my cousin is a health freak, she always has been.  She lived most of her adult life in Japan eating seaweed LOL.

I suspect she has always been bi-polar or maybe even had what your son has.

I remember just before her psychotic break, I was getting phone calls from everyone asking what the hell is she on...her speech was at Mach 5 and she never slept.  Now she was always a talker from when we were small kids...but you can tell when she is having a hyper moment....We have found that if we remind her of her condition and that she needs to now tone it down and go sleep, take a sleeping tablet if you need it, she instantly will take that on board.  Sleeping is like her reset button.

Quoting stormcris:

Several resources say that diet plays a key role in the prevention of development of this into bipolar disorder as a balanced diet helps keeps moods stable as a person with this is more susceptible to changes in mood related to nutritional deficiency. Cognitive decline from a fatty diet is said also to trend the person toward the development on bipolar disorder. 

Quoting turtle68:

Why is food a big deal?

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:22 AM

That was another point that was mentioned often in how important sleep is. 

Quoting turtle68:

hmmmm....my cousin is a health freak, she always has been.  She lived most of her adult life in Japan eating seaweed LOL.

I remember just before her psychotic break, I was getting phone calls from everyone asking what the hell is she on...her speech was at Mach 5 and she never slept.  Now she was always a talker from when we were small kids...but you can tell when she is having a hyper moment....We have found that if we remind her of her condition and that she needs to now tone it down and go sleep, take a sleeping tablet if you need it, she instantly will take that on board.  Sleeping is like her reset button.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

Why is food a big deal?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I watch and listen to her and think....it must really be exhausting for her.  Thankfully she has friends around the world and rings them in their time zones LOL.

She is very particular with organizing her time and structuring her brain.  A notebook is really handy for her.  

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

Why is food a big deal?

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Cyclothymia is sometims causally referred to as mini-bi polar disorder. The symptoms are similar but on a smaller scale. It can progress to bi-polar disorder if left untreated. It is managable and treatable.

As far as whether or not to medicate, that is a decision that has to be made individually. Like most mental health disorders, there is  not black andwhite one-size fits all cure/treatment. Along with therapy I recomend keeping a journal of foods, sleep, tv/video game time, therapy, excersize and any changes  in routine / environment. Share the journal with your son's therapist and psychiatrist every few weeks to see if there are any identifiable triggers to his highs and lows.

Good luck.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thank you. That journal idea is awesome.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Cyclothymia is sometims causally referred to as mini-bi polar disorder. The symptoms are similar but on a smaller scale. It can progress to bi-polar disorder if left untreated. It is managable and treatable.

As far as whether or not to medicate, that is a decision that has to be made individually. Like most mental health disorders, there is  not black andwhite one-size fits all cure/treatment. Along with therapy I recomend keeping a journal of foods, sleep, tv/video game time, therapy, excersize and any changes  in routine / environment. Share the journal with your son's therapist and psychiatrist every few weeks to see if there are any identifiable triggers to his highs and lows.

Good luck.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be lost without my notebooks for the stuff I do. I think I will suggest my son keep his own.

Quoting turtle68:

I watch and listen to her and think....it must really be exhausting for her.  Thankfully she has friends around the world and rings them in their time zones LOL.

She is very particular with organizing her time and structuring her brain.  A notebook is really handy for her.  

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

Why is food a big deal?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Im not familiar with it but I wish you luck in handling it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)