Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Ok, everyone describe your debate style. Are you laid back? Do you have any problem calling someone and idiot if you think like they are acting like one. Do you have a list of links ready at all times?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
Lizardannie1966
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM

When the name-calling begins as some sort of debate style, I walk.

Debates get heated and that's expected but we're not making history here and there really isn't a need to do the name-calling IMO.

We're all debating our opinions, often times, with some sort of testimony or "evidence" to support how we feel.

The fact that it can be unbiased or biased testimonies and evidence doesn't always seem to matter.

But I will generally take these debates for what they are--arguing points.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Calling someone names is not "debate".  People who cannot refrain from this sort of immature behavior should not participate until they can conduct themselves as adults. 

One debates on the facts of a matter and the logical conclusions of said facts.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much this but my passions and experience tend to be for the developmentally disabled, foodstamps, and women's rights.

Quoting Donna6503:

Apparently, my style is to get everyone mad at me about something ... so I could be hated.

J/K my style depends on the topic.

Most topics where I have little passion, I will debate until I see that the other side is taking it way too personal ... than I just leave it alone.

On topic I do care about a lot (immigrations, Middle East and foreign affairs, Mexico, and some economic issues) I will debate the issues very fiercely.

I tend to use, "sarcasm" a bit too much.

And I rarely talk about my work and what I do at my job or the subject matter of my work; because, I get enough of that at work and I don't care for it here. :)
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I enjoy a nice conversation. I NEVER name call. I find it unnecessary. I also converse without profanity.
coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Debate is the least useful tool for coming to understandings of different viewpoints. I am often in the position where, I can totally understand another person's feeling on an issue given their lack of understanding of certain things that pertain to it. So I aim to talk about those things that might give light to the reasons why our viewpoints are opposing...not that I think that that will chang e anyone's mind, but it may lend an ah ha moment that leads that person to become more interested in the subject as a whole instead of viewing it as a this versus that...because. encouraging polarity sows exaggerated differences of feeling that rarely create real progress in understanding or tangible change.
skylight555
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I usually stated my opinion but if someone disagreed, I won't go arguing back and forth. I believe that we agree to disagree; no need to be nasty. I don't expect others to agree with me and vice versa.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I wholly agree with this individual.

Quoting lancet98:

You have GOT to be joking.

'Not being afraid' to call someone an idiot never furthered any discussion of any type.

I don't believe a 'list of links' really proves anything in a debate.   Whole dissertations have been written on how crappy the information at those 'links' really is.   Internet sources are ridiculously innacurate, incomplete, biased and out of date, and are no reliable source of 'information'.

Even 'real' sources of information can fall under that heading.   There are 'junk journals' and 'junk research' and 'junk data'.

And I don't think that most of the 'debates', especially on the internet bb's, really are debates at all.   They're usually two people or two groups shouting incredibly banal and insipid platitudes and neither side taking any notice of the other.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I debate civilly and respectfully using facts. I try to be very aware of not using broad generalizations. I do not call other posters any names (even if I think it) and I do not like being called names. I find name calling in the middle if a debate a sure sign the name caller has lost ground. I have several links ready, but I Google quite a bit as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You find immense support on the internet for all sorts of idiotic crap, like the James Holmes 'conspiracy' (the ridiculous insistence that James Holmes' father was going to testify on LIBOR, for example), immense support for thousands of tinfoil hat conspiracies and all sorts of insane 'medical advice'.

Quoting coronado25:

I wholly agree with this individual.

Quoting lancet98:

You have GOT to be joking.

'Not being afraid' to call someone an idiot never furthered any discussion of any type.

I don't believe a 'list of links' really proves anything in a debate.   Whole dissertations have been written on how crappy the information at those 'links' really is.   Internet sources are ridiculously innacurate, incomplete, biased and out of date, and are no reliable source of 'information'.

Even 'real' sources of information can fall under that heading.   There are 'junk journals' and 'junk research' and 'junk data'.

And I don't think that most of the 'debates', especially on the internet bb's, really are debates at all.   They're usually two people or two groups shouting incredibly banal and insipid platitudes and neither side taking any notice of the other.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I try to be respectful. I always start with that approach first. but I will call someone out if I think a poster (most espceially the OP) is being bigoted or simply a baiter.

Altough I have no problem dishing it back and will say "f*ck you" but I am careful to walk that fine line of TOS. If I find the interaction is going no where, I prefer to just walk away. No use in beating a dead horse to death.

But no, to your question regarding an arsenal of links. Although I will reference a link if it directly pertains to what I am discussing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)