Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Ok, everyone describe your debate style. Are you laid back? Do you have any problem calling someone and idiot if you think like they are acting like one. Do you have a list of links ready at all times?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I tend to not call people idiots, more like ignorant. I also like to say that anecdotal evidence isn't actual evidence. Just cause you witnessed it doesn't mean it happens all the damn time or it's really that common. You want to make a point about something? Back it up with statistical evidence otherwise I'll treat it as hearsay. 

I also like to swear and insert humor whenever possible. 

muslimah
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You know I don't think people know how to take me and they always read me wrong. having met me person before even though it was very brief I think you have seen for yourself that I am not a person who has the time or the interest in looking for conflict.

These other women except one or 2 who are not even in this group have never met me and they take every thing I say wrong or assume my tone is harsh.

Often times I am thinking I am having a civil discussion with someone while they think we are arguing. Now if I know for fact that some one is wrong and can prove that fact I will let it be known. I am also a very laid back, out spoken, not afraid to say what's on my mind including cursing or swearing so allot of women automatically think I am angry or in fighting mode. Well I am not and if we were speaking voice to voice and not typing out on line they would see that.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I tend to debate from personal knowledge rather than the 'million link' style.

I feel laid back, no matter what I might appear like online. Live, I have a great deal of difficulty stifling snorts, but online no one can hear you snort :D

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Says you :P

I've seen a lot of debates, and nam-ecalling is absolutely one of the foundation methods, same as reductio ad absurdum, straw man, confirmation bias, running for the defensive position, hyperbole and the end-all and be-all: to parallel with Nazis.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Calling someone names is not "debate".  People who cannot refrain from this sort of immature behavior should not participate until they can conduct themselves as adults. 

One debates on the facts of a matter and the logical conclusions of said facts.

LiliM
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

While I am a new member here, I am a long time addict of CM.  I used to be very firebrand.  LOL, I am just too tired to engage in that anymore.  Occasionally, I will indulge in some snark, if the situation calls for it.

But generally, I try to take the conversation seriously if that is what the OP/respondants are trying to do so as well.  I used to debate in school, and it was very formal and fact based.  Anymore, too many "facts" are mined from sites that are so biased in one direction or another, to me, it's not really worth it dragging links onto most internet discussion boards.

Relatively easygoing.  Occasionally dogged. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Mainly laid back.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I agree. Sometimes it's best to walk away.

Quoting AlekD:

Yup. Same here. For the most part I try to keep things factual and civil and I have no shame in simply walking away from a debate that has devolved into You vs. Me.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I try to avoid making things personal.  I know there are a lot of people here who specialize in that.  I just abruptly end the conversation when the "YOU's" start being thrown around.  Life's too short to take on grumblers

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Depends. I have very little patience with bible thumpers, zealots (this includes sanctimommies!) and pro lifers. I am usually quite acerbic with them and there are quite a few of the god squad that exist (in my mind) merely for me to make fun of.

If its a thoughtful reasonable (not using emotional tactics) person I usually cite links and take the time to give really thoughtful answers.

Unfortunately lately... The thumpers and zealots seem to be out en masse...
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Word nazi

Quoting LindaClement:

Says you :P

I've seen a lot of debates, and nam-ecalling is absolutely one of the foundation methods, same as reductio ad absurdum, straw man, confirmation bias, running for the defensive position, hyperbole and the end-all and be-all: to parallel with Nazis.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Calling someone names is not "debate".  People who cannot refrain from this sort of immature behavior should not participate until they can conduct themselves as adults. 

One debates on the facts of a matter and the logical conclusions of said facts.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't scare me! I also don't hate you.

Quoting Donna6503:

Apparently, my style is to get everyone mad at me about something ... so I could be hated.

J/K my style depends on the topic.

Most topics where I have little passion, I will debate until I see that the other side is taking it way too personal ... than I just leave it alone.

On topic I do care about a lot (immigrations, Middle East and foreign affairs, Mexico, and some economic issues) I will debate the issues very fiercely.

I tend to use, "sarcasm" a bit too much.

And I rarely talk about my work and what I do at my job or the subject matter of my work; because, I get enough of that at work and I don't care for it here. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)