Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Ok, everyone describe your debate style. Are you laid back? Do you have any problem calling someone and idiot if you think like they are acting like one. Do you have a list of links ready at all times?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
BPonderal
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I took a government class in college that was pretty much a debate class. I blame that class for not being able to get down to some peoples levels and start calling names. It's dumb when people start calling names, it's like we're debating a topic, not each others personalties, so why are we making or taking this personally? I usually wont even start the debate, Ill just let people be happy in their wrongness.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm too dumb to debate so I just argue with people

Lili0509
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I love to debate when its something that I feel strongly about. For the most part Im respectful but there are times that I do go off after someone disrespects me....which is silly but Im only human.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Fiery! 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM

See? SEE? I'm right and she's wrong. SEE? Everyone can see it, right?

Quoting Momniscient:

Word nazi

Quoting LindaClement:

Says you :P

I've seen a lot of debates, and nam-ecalling is absolutely one of the foundation methods, same as reductio ad absurdum, straw man, confirmation bias, running for the defensive position, hyperbole and the end-all and be-all: to parallel with Nazis.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Calling someone names is not "debate".  People who cannot refrain from this sort of immature behavior should not participate until they can conduct themselves as adults. 

One debates on the facts of a matter and the logical conclusions of said facts.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I tend to be intense, but I don't call people names.  It is disrespectful and serves no purpose to the debate. 

I don't have a list ready at all times and I will do my research before I open my big mouth.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I am pretty laid back until an insult registers then I can get a bit of an edge.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I'm inconsistant in style. It keeps em guessing.

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I don't do name calling - I might say a comment is ridiculous, but I don't call the person stupid.

Sometimes I use sarcasm, but I really try not to.

I try to do my best to keep my comments as factual as possible and keep emotion out of my comments as much as I can.

I am of the belief that name calling is immature and it's just a way for a person to deflect my question, or for someone to show they know they are wrong, but unwilling to admit it.  I would rather someone just not respond, if they don't have anything mature to say.

If I find out I am wrong about something (a fact I had wrong, or missing information, not my opinion), I have no problem admitting it. The sooner I clear up a misunderstanding the sooner my "debate" can be unclouded and continue with a certain level of intelligence.

Also....I tend to ramble.  LOL  I often say the same thing, over and over again in the same post.  See what I mean?  :D

viv212
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I honestly don't think I have a style. I think I'm scared of people I don't know jumping all down my throat if I say something wrong so I try not to come off too strong. It's actually a personal problem of mine that I'm self-conscious so being online helps me with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN