Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The problem with Christians

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 77 Replies
2 moms liked this

Okay, not all of them.  

I suppose I'm speaking in general terms here about some christians.  The ones who are negative, the ones who spend more time seeking what is wrong, instead of praising all that is right.

The church (as in all churches put together) is losing members every year.  We've achieved a very negative image in the eyes of those who are not Christians. Now, I know that some are quick to blame others for that issue.  They blame the atheists for vilifying us, they blame the muslims for "acting like victims," they blame liberal media...in truth, though, most of the blame lies on Christians who push those negative images.

I see it more often than I should...this group is a prime example.  Posts raging against gays, against public aid, against abortion, against atheism...don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Christians can't have or express opinions on those things.  And I know that there are non believers in here who are as guilty of negativity.

But my point is this...the problem with Christians is this...we're too dang negative!  SO many churches, and thus followers, spend their days going on and on about what we are doing wrong as people.  They spend more time telling others that they are sinners than we do anything else.  And that is why the church is falling down.  When you're negative all the time, it tends to bring everyone around you down as well.  

We need to focus more on what is right in this world.  Jesus gave christians a pretty good example of how to share the message with others.  His words were generally positive, and he spoke of the importance of love and kindess to others.  Even the Bible gives us examples of how to speak...a message we all (myself included) forget regularly.

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come from your mouth, but only what is helpful in building other ups according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Sorry, I don't think that calling gays disgusting sinners, or labeling pro choice supporters as "pro abortion" fits that bill.  Why can't we speak to the good of our faith?  About how it changed our lives for the better?  About how we found peace?  About how we can use ideas and teachings of the bible to improve our thinking,a nd thus our outlook on life?  

I'm not saying we should skip over the bad or sugar coat that sin is death.  That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying we shouldn't put our focus on that.  Jesus, and the salvation he gave, should be the focal point of our faith.  Not sin, not what we're doing wrong.  We've taken the focus off of Christ, and put it on all the ways people are breaking God's laws.  

I'm blessed to attend a church that does just that.  Our messages are always uplifting, the teachings always leave me feeling better upon leaving than when I arrive.  I've had numerous people who don't follow my faith that tell me that as far as churches go, we've always made them feel welcome.

That is what people should say about a church.  No one should ever feel intimidated or uncomfortable in a church.  If they do, that church is failing.  And as a whole, I think we are doing that.  We've been so negative that there are people who will likely never set foot in a church, and who have turned away totally from God.

Not sure how "hot" a topic this is, but it is to me.  The church can be doing a lot more to uplift others, so I don't understand why we choose to focus on the negatives.  There are christians out there getting right, though.  I am thankful for that.  And there are people out there who, though they do not follow our faith, support us.

Anyway I'm curious to see opinions from Christian and non christian alike on this one.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL  It sounds like you are focusing on the negative.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

To be fair, I focused on a negative aspect, to prmote the desire to focus more on the the positive message. LIke I said, we can't sugar coat the bad, but I think we should turn our focus to the good.

Quoting JTROX:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Your title, itself, is negative.

I understand you are pointing out the negative to try to bring a change, but it is still focusing on the negative.

It just seemed odd to me.

Quoting katzmeow726:

To be fair, I focused on a negative aspect, to prmote the desire to focus more on the the positive message. LIke I said, we can't sugar coat the bad, but I think we should turn our focus to the good.

Quoting JTROX:

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

*negative title done on purpose to emphasize point*

Quoting JTROX:

I understand you are pointing out the negative to try to bring a change, but it is still focusing on the negative.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting JTROX:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

When I was little, the older Christians in my church were patient, kind, loving and caring. They were strong in their opinions but didn't seek to hurt others with those opinions. I left the church for a long time and then went back and all of those older Christians were either dead or had one foot in the grave and those who had replaced them were angry, hateful, intolerant and very judgmental. They were of a different era and breed of Christian altogether. No wonder the younger generations are leaving organized religion...

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I have decided we as humans all suck. I have met a few Christians who I truly believe are the real thing and are different than anyone else I have met, I think because they actually try to act like Jesus and not just talk about it. Those few actually make me think hard about my own mortality. The rest of them are just hypocrites like everyone else. And they will fall off their self made pedestals eventually.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe in God and fully recognize that there a lot of religions that  believe their particular beliefs are the `correct' ones.  My opinion is that if does not matter.  Believers believe in God.  However, we get there and which religion we follow is only the vehicle for each of us..  I don't care what you are because we share a common belief and I'm not  picky about the details.

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes, I understand, the point being you wanted to point out what you believed was wrong with Christians.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting JTROX:

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Christianity is a faith that encompasses the whole of human experience. Focusing only on the positive is just as lopsided and dangerous to souls as focusing only on the negative. Christian joy and peace is a reality, yes. And so are the wages of sin. I am glad that I have a priest who speaks of both, because focusing only on sin leads to despair, but focusing only on goodness and forgiveness leads to complacency. We need both.

And anyway, this is a "debate" group. Topics discussing just the bright side of faith, while they do happen occasionally, are not really on topic for this group.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

True, however I also put what we can be doing right as part of my point.  And I also speak on what we ARE doing right.  

Quoting JTROX:

Yes, I understand, the point being you wanted to point out what you believed was wrong with Christians.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting JTROX:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN