Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 year-old wants to prove to friends a rifle is not loaded, puts it in his mouth, it fires

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 155 Replies

LOGAN COUNTY, OK — In the blink of an eye, a teenager’s mistake leaves him clinging to life. Logan County authorities say a 16-year-old boy put his own rifle in his mouth and pulled the trigger Friday night, not realizing it was loaded.

Jared Ridgway was still in ICU at OU Medical Center Tuesday evening, and according to his mother, he was on a ventilator. Authorities say Ridgway was able to speak when they arrived at the scene, which was at a friend’s house, near Waterloo and Post Road.

They say he and his friend both said it was Ridgway who stuck a rifle in his mouth to prove to his friend that it wasn’t loaded. His mother, Melynda Shands, told us the gunshot wound resulted in him having a stroke Monday morning and now he has no use of his right arm or leg.

She said doctors told her the bullet may not be removed from her son’s head for fear of excessive bleeding.

“Oh he’s never going to have another gun,” Shands said. ”As far as I’m concerned, he doesn’t need another one. I don’t even want one in my home.”

“That family (homeowners) left the scene knowing full well the boys had a firearm and were likely to use it,” Logan County Sheriff’s Dept. Cpt. Richard Stephens said. ”That places (the boys) in undue risk and that’s negligence.”

For that reason, Stephens said investigators presented child negligence charges to the District Attorney against the owner of the trailer, Kerry Hise. He said formal charges against Hise are pending the outcome of Ridgway’s recovery.

http://kfor.com/2013/07/02/criminal-charges-may-result-from-teen-accidentally-shooting-himself/

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fushithedruid
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM
10 moms liked this

idiot kid, idiot parents. i hate hearing stories like this. where's the common sense? why didn't the parents teach said teenager always make sure the gun isn't loaded. argh, its people like the parents here and in other children shooting accidents that make responsible gun owners, like myself, look horribley bad. SMDH

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
11 moms liked this

Idiot.  You always assume a gun has a bullet in the chamber.

Mommabearbergh
trying to have a smooth morning
Today at 9:54 AM
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Wtf. That is dumb putting a gun in your mouth is a bonehead move. At 16 you know that putting a gun there is dumb. If you want to show a gun isn't loaded do it the proper way. That kid did a bonehead move.
finnbar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this
So why charges of negligence in this case and not the others? I should think at $15 a young man raised to be responsible with firearms would not pull such a fool stunt. But what about the grandpa who left his pistol out last week and the grandson shot the granddaughter? Why no charges in that case?
Fushithedruid
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

i think all cases involving stuff like this, there should be potential charges. make adults think twice at leaving their guns out where kiddos can reach them, at leaving said guns loaded. who the heck do these people think they are, going against every safety training known to man? don't ever leave a gun loaded, unless you're going to use it, and always, always assume the gun is loaded.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM
8 moms liked this

there are easier ways to check to see if a weapon is loaded

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
8 moms liked this
I'm not a big pro-gun person. I'm not huge anti-gun, but I favor registration, background checks, and I don't like guns in houses with kids, etc.

Having said that, this has to be the world's dumbest 15 year old. WTF? And I don't want to sound callous, he's not so dumb as to deserve this, he wasn't trying to hurt anybody etc. Dumb as he is, my heart aches for him. But wow, what are you thinking?

I used to do a lot of flying, and an instructor always said when walking around the prop, even if stopped, that the prop wants to kill you, referring to a freak start, someone in the cockpit not seeing you, etc. I've never owned a gun but I think I'd have the same mantra - that gun wants to kill somebody - treat it as such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Idiot kid.  The worst possible  judgment was used here.  Does this event  further constitute eliminating guns from our households and society at large?  No.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Where are gun owners supposed to house their guns if not in their homes?  This kid was old enough to know not to put a gun in his mouth.  Who's to blame?  The kid.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not a big pro-gun person. I'm not huge anti-gun, but I favor registration, background checks, and I don't like guns in houses with kids, etc.

Having said that, this has to be the world's dumbest 15 year old. WTF? And I don't want to sound callous, he's not so dumb as to deserve this, he wasn't trying to hurt anybody etc. Dumb as he is, my heart aches for him. But wow, what are you thinking?

I used to do a lot of flying, and an instructor always said when walking around the prop, even if stopped, that the prop wants to kill you, referring to a freak start, someone in the cockpit not seeing you, etc. I've never owned a gun but I think I'd have the same mantra - that gun wants to kill somebody - treat it as such.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I don't think negligence should be placed on the mother. This child was 16, almost an adult. Who said he was never taught that guns are always loaded?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured