Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teenager arrested for Facebook post beaten up in prison

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 77 Replies

Teenager arrested for Facebook post beaten up in prison

Justin Carter

Things aren’t getting any better for a 19-year-old video gamer who has been locked up since March for the remarks he made over Facebook. The father of the teen now says his son is being beaten up while he waits to stand trial.

In an interview with National Public Radio that aired Wednesday, Jack Carter said his son Justin has suffered countless injuries since being locked up in a Texas detention facility more than three months ago.

"Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection," Jack Carter told NPR. "He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience."

Prisoner abuse isn’t anything new, but the so-called crime that’s left Justin Carter facing potentially eight years in prison could be unprecedented. He’s been locked up without trial since late March after authorities were alerted to a Facebook message that Carter says he made in jest.

Only 18 at the time, Carter had just wrapped up session on the online role-playing game “League of Legends” when he got into a spat with a friend over Facebook. Speaking to KVUE news last month, his father explained how what was supposed to be a sarcastic remark posted publically ended up with an unexpected jail stint.

Someone had said something to the effect of 'Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head,’” he called, “to which he replied 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.’”

According to Carter, he ended the quip with “LOL” and “JK”— Internet shorthand for “laugh out loud” and “just kidding,” respectively. A witness to the conversation in Canada became worried nonetheless and alerted the authorities, who then arrested Carter and charged him with making a terroristic threat. His bond was set at half-a-million-dollars and he spent more than three months awaiting trial before hearings were scheduled to start up earlier this week. According to NPR, Carter’s attorney has had the start date moved back to July 16 to bring up abuse complaints to try to get bond lowered.

Meanwhile, it hasn’t been a cushy time at Comal County Jail near San Antonio. Speaking to CNN earlier this week, Jack Carter described his son as “very depressed” and said “he’s pretty much lost all hope.”

He's very scared and he's very concerned that he's not going to get out," Carter said.

Adding to NPR this week, the defendant’s father said his son has been “suffering quite a bit of abuse” and is “really sorry” for making what they say was a sarcastic comment.

He just got caught up in the moment of the game and didn't think about the implications," Jack Carter told NPR.

A petition demanding Texas release Justin Carter from custody on the website Change.org has so far accumulated more than 45,000 signatures.

http://rt.com/usa/teen-facebook-arrested-prison-628/

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM
6 moms liked this

This story is ridiculous and insane.  The boys that participated in attempting to rid the backpack, clothing as some debris of the Boston Marathon bomb suspect have been released from jail until their respective trials.. This young man is being held in prison as a `danger' to children when house arrest would be sufficient.  I truly believed his comments were in jest when this story first `broke'. 

Lili0509
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM
9 moms liked this

The legal system is so messed up....I don't understand it.....this kid is being treated so bad and Casey Anthony is living a carefree life-------weird. Its ok to not report your missing 3 year old for a month but its not ok to make some dumb comment on fb...ok?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand why he would be getting beat up any more than any other inmate?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Did his family think prison was a cakewalk?

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM
2 moms liked this
While I think he's an idiot for making those comments and thinking not one would get upset over them, I'm not convinced prison is the right place for him, even if he was not being assaulted in prison.
joyfree
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Meanwhile, it hasn’t been a cushy time at Comal County Jail near San Antonio.

Oh, it's Texas... Poor kid.

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been keeping an eye on this case, as it is happening pretty close to where i live.  

What I want to know is why is he still in jail?  Why isn't he out on bail?  

He shouldn't even be there to begin with.  Absurd overreaction on the part of the person who reported him and of the police.  

This young man may not have had good judgment, but where are the older, more mature adults?  Their judgment isn't any better - It's obvious it's sarcastic remark.  Even if they wanted to be on the safe side, check his house for weapons, research info on his computer and THEN - if there's a real risk - lock him up!

Where is the evidence that he did anything other than a smart alec remark?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

While I think this kid has some issues making a remark like that, kidding or not, it shows his mindset, I am surprised the bail was so high.  I am also wondering why he is not out on bail.  Well, I guess that kind of money can be hard to come by.  I know it would be for me.

I can't tell, from the article, if the facility he is at is indeed doing what they can to keep him safe.  I can't help but wonder if he could possibly be transferred some where else.

What a way to learn about watching what the hell you say and checking your character.

wymama610
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Is it the 'terroristic threat' portion that makes this so bad? I would imagine that is why his bail is so high, etc.......

While I may not agree with how this is playing out, I know nothing about this case. My personal opinion is that kids need to realize that Facebook, twitter, etc are public sites, not personal diaries. There are consequences for actions. It sounds like this boy is learning that the hard way.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Because his family hasn't posted it.

Quoting texassahm:

I have been keeping an eye on this case, as it is happening pretty close to where i live.  

What I want to know is why is he still in jail?  Why isn't he out on bail?  

He shouldn't even be there to begin with.  Absurd overreaction on the part of the person who reported him and of the police.  

This young man may not have had good judgment, but where are the older, more mature adults?  Their judgment isn't any better - It's obvious it's sarcastic remark.  Even if they wanted to be on the safe side, check his house for weapons, research info on his computer and THEN - if there's a real risk - lock him up!

Where is the evidence that he did anything other than a smart alec remark?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)