Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

U.S. Navy to allow....

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 156 Replies

How do you Feel about this... Personally I am ok with it...

U.S. Navy to allow uniformed service members to march in San Diego pride

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — The U.S. Navy says that active duty service members under the Region Southwest command may participate in uniform in this year’s San Diego LGBT pride parade.

This is the third consecutive year in which active duty military personnel will have participated in the contingent that leads the annual parade through the streets of San Diego’s Hillcrest neighborhood.

Service members march in uniform in last year’s San Diego pride parade.

This year, organizers expect more than 300 service members to participate in the July 13 parade, either in uniform or wearing a branch-specific T-shirt.

Last year, for the first time in history, the Defense Department gave a blanket permission for all branches of the military to march while dressed in their uniforms. In 2011, about 250 service membersmarched in the pride event, but wore branch t-shirts instead of uniform.

Under this year’s authorization, only Region Southwest members of the Navy (officer or CPO) can wear their Summer White or Service Khaki uniforms. E-1 through E-6 service members can wear their Service Dress White or Service Uniform.

“San Diego has a strong military presence and a large LGBT community, and it is important to our LGBT servicemembers that we honor their full identity and service to our country,” said Stephen Whitburn, San Diego LGBT Pride general manager.

“We are grateful to the Navy Region Southwest command for extending their support to our event and to these courageous servicemembers,” he said.

So far there has been no announcement from the Pentagon or other branches of the military granting similar permission, although last year’s announcement came just two days prior to the parade.

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM
While I like it, they can get in trouble if someone complains, as it is against code regulations to participate in these sorts of functions in uniform.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I realize that and I can see people getting pissy because you know they wont be permitted to wear them if they parade was for the other side of the coin...

Quoting kailu1835:

While I like it, they can get in trouble if someone complains, as it is against code regulations to participate in these sorts of functions in uniform.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I don't know how I feel about this, honestly.

I am curious to see the outcome.

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

ehh, it's the Navy and in San Diego, seems normal. 

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Honestly I think that we will see more and more Service Men and Woman in Pride Parades all over the US with little to no major repercussions of it..

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this
So will they be allowed to appear in uniform at any political event or just pride parades?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

From what I read just Pride Events... I doubt they will be permitted to wear them to anti Gay events But I don't know

Quoting AlekD:

So will they be allowed to appear in uniform at any political event or just pride parades?

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

See this is what worries me. As a navy brat, i grew up well aware that everyone considered the Navy to be 'the gay mans military' and while i have nothing against gay men, its not fair or OK to associate one group as one. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Fine with me.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm sorry but I blame the Village People for that *hangs her head* 

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

See this is what worries me. As a navy brat, i grew up well aware that everyone considered the Navy to be 'the gay mans military' and while i have nothing against gay men, its not fair or OK to associate one group as one. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN