Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Communion and Children(Personal Current Event)

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 112 Replies

Tonight my husband and I opened a bottle of wine and were drinking and discussing events. I asked my 8 yr old if she would like a sip of my wine. She replied "I don't like wine". Of course we inquired when she would have ever tasted it. Her answer was at church with grandmother and grandfather and it tasted really yucky and they also had tiny bread to eat(which she did not eat because she has a wheat allergy).

I am really upset by this news. We are not part of an organized religion or attend church. We do believe in God and Jesus, but my husband and I don't take communion. To me, taking communion says not only that you recognize Christ sacrifice for mankind but that you will also follow a set of rules and live your life a certain way. As an adult, I'm not sure what I believe fully these days. How can a child at 7-8 possibly understand or know what they believe?

I do want to preempt this by saying that my in-laws are wonderful people and I love them very much. They don't usually over step in any way regarding our parenting and I know this wasn't something they would try to do behind our back or meant to upset us in any way at all.

If this were your child(assuming you allow them to go to church with grandparents) how exactly would you handle this situation?  Do you allow your child to take communion? At what age?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
It's nbd to me. If she wanted to take communion at 6 she could.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Quoting LaughCryLive:

It's nbd to me. If she wanted to take communion at 6 she could.

Would you want communion explained to her? Or does it not really  matter? It was obvious that no one explained to my daughter why she was suppose to drink the "grape juice" or eat the "tiny bread".

It's not the drink or food, it's what communion stands for and I think communion is a big deal. It's declaring what you believe. How does a 6 yr old know what they believe religiously? All they know is what their parents tell them.

LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM

We are believers, my children began taking communion as soon as they had an understanding about what it signified and they had accepted Jesus into their hearts.

Does your daughter knows what it means?  Did your inlaws explain it to her? 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

We are believers, my children began taking communion as soon as they had an understanding about what it signified and they had accepted Jesus into their hearts.

No she did not know what it meant and no it was not explained to her. I think my in-laws were just going up and she walked with them.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM
5 moms liked this
I can't say what I would do in your situation but I think if I allowed them to go to church regularly that I didn't also attend I would allow them to partake in all activities. But I don't know...

In regards to your last two questions... I'm Episcopalian. Our children receive communion essentially whenever they can swallow solid food. My 7, 5, and 3 year old receive. My 18m old does not because he is gluten free and I haven't figured out the deal with communion wafers yet. My kids who receive take the host and dip it into the wine. They don't drink from the cup. Jesus said that everyone is welcome at his table. Not just those who have taken a class or reached a certain age or have a certain level of critical thinking skills. Everyone. In our bulletin at the church I attend there is a sentence printed that says "All who seek Christ and are drawn to His love are welcome at His altar". I love that.

I asked a priest one time how a child can begin to understand the magnitude of the meaning of the Eucharist. How do you explain that sacrifice to a child? He replied, "How can any of us understand? Adults like to think we fully understand, but do we really?" He went on to say that God's grace is beyond our understanding. It isn't for us to completely understand but to be open to receiving. Jesus spoke often about children and the treatment of children and the priest I was speaking with said that it was counterproductive to keep them from receiving when it was clear for his words and actions that Jesus would have welcomed them. That resonated a lot with me, so my kids receive.
LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

No she did not know what it meant and no it was not explained to her. I think my in-laws were just going up and she walked with them.

Well, at  her age, no harm was done.  They should have explained to her though what it meant, but in the future, it should be her choice, only after she has an understanding.

God desires the little children to come unto Him, so it was perfectly fine in His eyes for her to recieve communion. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Young children aren't allowed to recieve in my Church, but if someone in the family took my child to a Protestant communion service I wouldnt really mind since it is merely symbolic and it does no harm. If he showed interest I would have him talk with our priest about starting his First Communion classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lili0509
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Has she already done her First Communion? Because if she hasn't then she can't do communion in the church during mass to begin with. Most children do theirs around 10 years old. In the Catholic church.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM
We have not placed an age or grade level on when they can receive communion. When they feel they understand what it represents they can receive it. It has been different for 3 of our children.

When my oldest has attended church with his grandparents he does not receive it there. He does not belong to that church or share the teachings. He attends to be with his grandparents.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

No, my girls have never taken communion.  That is their choice, if they wish to follow the rules and such in order to actually take communion, and afterwards.

I can understand why you are upset.  Have you spoken with your inlaws?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured