Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

what would you have done?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 65 Replies
Scenario: someone gives you club side tickets (awesome seats) to a concert, let's say Beyonce. They tell you to use it for yourself or sell them. You have plans for the evening so you decide to spread the love and give them away. You tell the person you gave them to "I just wanted to give them to someone who'd appreciate it, I'm gonna give them to ________if you don't want them". The person gets excited and accepts them. You text the next day to see how the concert went and they say "I got home and got sick so I just gave them to my neighbor. "

Do you think the person should have informed the person who gave them the tickets that they weren't going so the tickets could've gone to the other person they wanted to give them to? Or is it a "once they left her hands it didn't matter who used the tickets" type situation? The ticket exchange was between a niece and an aunt if that makes a difference
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Do you have a reason to suspect that your friend is lying about getting sick?  

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I might care a little bit but it wouldn't be a big deal. Once I gave the tickets away they were no longer mine to decide what to do with them.

Iconoclast
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Yea, I think that out of appreciation for them wanting to give the tickets to the first person [in the senario] they should have let the ticket giver know that although they appreciate it they already had plans.  I think that it was nice thought to give the tickets to someone they thought would appreciate it more but the original giver could have had someone in mind that lost out on the tickets because the original giver wanted (the first receiver) to enjoy the concert.  

**hopefully that made sense***

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Kind of. That's the thing I think is bothering me the most. The concert was Friday, I was given the tickets that day, concert started at 7, I gave her the tickets at 4:30 and she was all smiles and unicorn farts. In 2 1/2 hours she got crazy sick? It's just not sitting right.

Quoting momtoscott:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Personally I would have called the original owner so they could at least offer the to the other person they had in mind. To me that is just common courtesy. However, I don't think they were obligated. I'm glad someone got to use them. 

I'd be annoyed, but not make a big deal. Next time I would be clear in giving them. If you decide you cannot use them, please let me know. 

gammie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Once you give it away they are gone.

But if I was giving tickets away I could tell them if you can't use them give them back.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I've been in similar situations with sporting event tickets...honestly, I wouldn't be bothered because it sounds like it was a last minute thing on the recipients part. I also consider it more annoying when someone gets tickets and they don't show up and obviously didn't give them to anyone, so the tickets went to waste- I don't know the origin of the tickets in your story, but in my scenario, the tickets are usually part of a raffle (military USO type thing), so when tickets go unused, there were usually many people who were willing to take them. Lol, guess my point is, I wouldn't mind at all, as long as someone got to use the tickets and I would even be glad I wasn't the one scrambling at the last minute to get them to someone else.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
That's what I'm thinking. I gave them to her because she loves Beyonce and has had a rough year so I thought it'd be a nice gift. But I told her if she didn't want them I was going to give them to my cousin (her niece) Rachel since she missed out on going to Europe this year and she's been bummed. That part pisses me off too. She knew who I wanted to give them to.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Yea, I think that out of appreciation for them wanting to give the tickets to the first person [in the senario] they should have let the ticket giver know that although they appreciate it they already had plans.  I think that it was nice thought to give the tickets to someone they thought would appreciate it more but the original giver could have had someone in mind that lost out on the tickets because the original giver wanted (the first receiver) to enjoy the concert.  

**hopefully that made sense***

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

That would piss me off too. 

Quoting ashellbell:

Kind of. That's the thing I think is bothering me the most. The concert was Friday, I was given the tickets that day, concert started at 7, I gave her the tickets at 4:30 and she was all smiles and unicorn farts. In 2 1/2 hours she got crazy sick? It's just not sitting right.

Quoting momtoscott:

The_Doodle
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No. After I give them to someone, it's theirs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN