Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 136 Replies

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

(Credit: CNN)

A city councilman in Louisiana is drafting a new set of ordinances that would ban the flying of rainbow flags on any public property after a constituent took umbrage with one such flag that was raised by a local LGBT organization.

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.

Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.

Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:

Quote:

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that, Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Opponents of the proposed ordinance say no disrespect was intended, and were quick to point out that there are thousands of gay veterans who have fought for their country as well.

Green told the paper that while he is not “against the gays,” he is opposed to “the act itself.”

There already exists a firm set of federal laws that govern the flying of the American flag on public property, including a provision that says no flag may fly higher than the American flag on the same property. Organizers of the Pride in the Park event say that no American flags were removed while hoisting their own flag.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Pride in the Park, a celebration of June being Gay Pride Month, the downfall of DOMA and the striking down of California's Prop 8, included the raising of a gay pride rainbow flag near the recreation center, food, games and raffles.

Should the Lafayette Consolidated Government consider an ordinance allowing only certain flags on their property? Tell us at theadvertiser .com.

City-Parish Councilman Andy Naquin is drafting a proposal that would limit the types of flags that could be flown on government property after receiving complaints from veterans about the hoisting of a rainbow-colored gay pride flag recently in Girard Park.

Naquin said he was contacted by Korean War veteran Ray Green, who was offended that the flag was hoisted on Lafayette Consolidated Government property.

“I had to agree with him,” Naquin told The Daily Advertiser. “Government flag poles really should be meant to fly only government flags.”

Naquin said he is working with City-Parish Attorney Mike Hebert on drafting an ordinance, but has not yet discussed the matter with other councilmen. He expects the ordinance would allow only the flying of American, Louisiana and Acadian/LCG flags, and possibly Mardi Gras flags, on LCG property.

Green, who said he learned about the flag-raising after a photograph and story appeared in The Daily Advertiser, said he does not believe the flag should be flown on government property.

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that,” Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Amanda Kelley, president of the Acadiana OUTspoken Alliance, a group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual people, said the flag is a symbol and was meant to celebrate National Pride Month and repeal by the U.S. Supreme Court of the Defense of Marraige Act.

“That, to me, seems like a violation of freedom of speech,” Kelley said of the proposed restrictions. “It wasn’t intended to insult or hurt anyone.”

Green said it is their right to fly the flag, but not on government property. He asked what would happen if someone wanted to fly a Ku Klux Klan flag at Girard Park.

“That has offended many, many, many veterans. It offended me,” he said.

Green said he’s not “against the gays” but is against “the act itself.”

“And I’m against the possibility of them getting together for another demonstration and taking down the American flag,” he said.

Participants of the June 30 gay pride gathering did not remove an American flag to hoist the rainbow flag.

Kelley said Acadiana OUTspoken’s membership includes veterans.

“We fought for this country, too,” she said. “It was in no way meant to be disrespectful.”

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307060007&nclick_check=1

kansasmom1978
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that as long as the American Flag is flying higher than any others,it's fine. It's when other flags are higher than the US flag that there is an issue.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this
“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that,” Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

I guess there's only straight veterans...
blue123244
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM
4 moms liked this

yeah nothing says jobs jobs jobs like banning a rainbow flag - these people need to do their friggin jobs but they are so busy with their social agenda that they don't care if the country falls apart 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
But this is the really really important stuff!

Quoting blue123244:

yeah nothing says jobs jobs jobs like banning a rainbow flag - these people need to do their friggin jobs but they are so busy with their social agenda that they don't care if the country falls apart 

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
14 moms liked this
If it's private property, do what you want. If it's public property, the only flags that should be flying are state flags and the national flag. It's a shame that common sense needs to be legislated.
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Well, at least the ban covers all non government flags, so they can trample over everyone's freedom of expression. If this passes, I hope they are prepared to enforce it equally.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

so no govt flag poles display the confederate flag there? 

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
If the ordinance covered only government owned flagpoles, I would agree. But it doesn't sound like that is the case.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured