Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

Posted by   + Show Post

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

(Credit: CNN)

A city councilman in Louisiana is drafting a new set of ordinances that would ban the flying of rainbow flags on any public property after a constituent took umbrage with one such flag that was raised by a local LGBT organization.

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.

Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.

Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:

Quote:

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that, Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Opponents of the proposed ordinance say no disrespect was intended, and were quick to point out that there are thousands of gay veterans who have fought for their country as well.

Green told the paper that while he is not “against the gays,” he is opposed to “the act itself.”

There already exists a firm set of federal laws that govern the flying of the American flag on public property, including a provision that says no flag may fly higher than the American flag on the same property. Organizers of the Pride in the Park event say that no American flags were removed while hoisting their own flag.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (131-136):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Love has nothing to do with marriage.  But wanting to stop a certain segment of people from getting married for no good reason = hate.  So the opposite of that is love to me.  Love people, let them be happy, let them ge t married, because it is no harm to you, and it means you love your fellow man.  I wasn't talking about romantic love, I was talking about loving your neighbor.  Love them, let them be happy.  Don't try and hurt them.  And stopping them from doing something you and I can do is hurtful.  Generic "you" by the way.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, I thought that you were one who felt the need to preserve what you call "traditional marriage".  I apologize if I'm wrong.  But I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Love? What's love got to do with marriage? Truly, think about it, love will always exist even if marriage was never a part of the equation. too many people pin all their hopes and dreams on a marriage, when in reality if love truly exists, marriage is irrelevant. Gays didn't get married because they wanted to be allowed to love, they married for benefits, and to make a point. Also, can you show me where I stated I disagree with same sex unions? Thanks.
Quoting pansyprincess:

Ftr, i never commented on the flag thing.  I think the only thing that should be flown on govt property are govt flags.  So I agree with you there.

As for marriage, go back to your statement about progressive change.  Gay marriage fits that.  I'm sorry you disagree.  You are just never going to convince me that gay marriage is bad for this country.  More love is better than less, every single day.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You mean like how the LGBT flag should not be flown anywhere other than private property? Because our country takes no stance on supporting one sexuality over another? You mean as well, the original meaning and plan of Marriage was good enough for this country for many years, it should have stayed that way?
Quoting pansyprincess:

Our pledge to our countrty has nothing to do with religion.  It shouldn't.  It wasn't originally written that way, and it was good enough for this country for many years.  Ya know how many people get shunned or ridiculed for not saying the POA or leaving out "under god"?  Again, what does god have to do with pledging to the country?

Quoting KamWorthy:

How does saying "God" in the POA hurt others, or deny rights? Don't believe in God, don't want to recite the POA, then don't.
Quoting pansyprincess:

Do you really need to ask this?  No, I do not believe change is good just based on a majority of people wanting it.  If it hurts others, you need to stop and consider what type of change you are putting in.  If the majority of people wanted a minority race in this country to become slaves, it wouldn't be ok.  Even if the majority supported it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I'm not quoting you, I'm asking a question. No, the original meaning of marriage( garden of Eden aside) was one man one woman. Do you believe change is good if the majority of the people want and support it? Or are there exceptions?
Quoting autodidact:

that's not what I said, but you just keep twisting. 

and I don't believe that "marriage was created in the garden of eden". marriage has muliple meanings, and it's civil meaning is also a civil right. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Oh, so you respect original meanings? Does this also go for the original meaning of "marriage"? Or does that not qualify?
Quoting autodidact:

what I respet and accept is the actual pledge as written by its author. 

you know fuck-all about my "personal agenda". 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Ah yes, of course, I forgot. It's only accepted if it is somehow relative to ones personal agenda. I keep forgetting that part.
Quoting autodidact:

no, that's a bastardization of the actual pledge. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

IKR?!...... Oh but wait a second....what about that one father, Michael Newdow, who lobbied for "God" to be removed from the POA? Isn't that just freedom of speech and expression as well?
Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as the law includes ALL non-govt flags then I'm good with it.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I said could you show me where I am against same sex unions or desiring to prevent gays, or mothers and son, or fathers and daughters, or siblings from becoming united and receiving benefits the same as married heterosexuals. Can you show me?
Quoting pansyprincess:

Love has nothing to do with marriage.  But wanting to stop a certain segment of people from getting married for no good reason = hate.  So the opposite of that is love to me.  Love people, let them be happy, let them ge t married, because it is no harm to you, and it means you love your fellow man.  I wasn't talking about romantic love, I was talking about loving your neighbor.  Love them, let them be happy.  Don't try and hurt them.  And stopping them from doing something you and I can do is hurtful.  Generic "you" by the way.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, I thought that you were one who felt the need to preserve what you call "traditional marriage".  I apologize if I'm wrong.  But I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Love? What's love got to do with marriage? Truly, think about it, love will always exist even if marriage was never a part of the equation. too many people pin all their hopes and dreams on a marriage, when in reality if love truly exists, marriage is irrelevant. Gays didn't get married because they wanted to be allowed to love, they married for benefits, and to make a point. Also, can you show me where I stated I disagree with same sex unions? Thanks.
Quoting pansyprincess:

Ftr, i never commented on the flag thing.  I think the only thing that should be flown on govt property are govt flags.  So I agree with you there.

As for marriage, go back to your statement about progressive change.  Gay marriage fits that.  I'm sorry you disagree.  You are just never going to convince me that gay marriage is bad for this country.  More love is better than less, every single day.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You mean like how the LGBT flag should not be flown anywhere other than private property? Because our country takes no stance on supporting one sexuality over another? You mean as well, the original meaning and plan of Marriage was good enough for this country for many years, it should have stayed that way?
Quoting pansyprincess:

Our pledge to our countrty has nothing to do with religion.  It shouldn't.  It wasn't originally written that way, and it was good enough for this country for many years.  Ya know how many people get shunned or ridiculed for not saying the POA or leaving out "under god"?  Again, what does god have to do with pledging to the country?

Quoting KamWorthy:

How does saying "God" in the POA hurt others, or deny rights? Don't believe in God, don't want to recite the POA, then don't.
Quoting pansyprincess:

Do you really need to ask this?  No, I do not believe change is good just based on a majority of people wanting it.  If it hurts others, you need to stop and consider what type of change you are putting in.  If the majority of people wanted a minority race in this country to become slaves, it wouldn't be ok.  Even if the majority supported it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I'm not quoting you, I'm asking a question. No, the original meaning of marriage( garden of Eden aside) was one man one woman. Do you believe change is good if the majority of the people want and support it? Or are there exceptions?
Quoting autodidact:

that's not what I said, but you just keep twisting. 

and I don't believe that "marriage was created in the garden of eden". marriage has muliple meanings, and it's civil meaning is also a civil right. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Oh, so you respect original meanings? Does this also go for the original meaning of "marriage"? Or does that not qualify?
Quoting autodidact:

what I respet and accept is the actual pledge as written by its author. 

you know fuck-all about my "personal agenda". 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Ah yes, of course, I forgot. It's only accepted if it is somehow relative to ones personal agenda. I keep forgetting that part.
Quoting autodidact:

no, that's a bastardization of the actual pledge. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

IKR?!...... Oh but wait a second....what about that one father, Michael Newdow, who lobbied for "God" to be removed from the POA? Isn't that just freedom of speech and expression as well?
Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Quoting jllcali:

If the ordinance covered only government owned flagpoles, I would agree. But it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Yup

Shoota
by Lauren on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM

I just went to gay pride in Seattle last week, and saw many naked or half naked people walking around. In Seattle we also have the Fremont Parade, that is basically naked people riding bikes. We also have a no pants ride day on the light rail.  We like to get naked a lot up here :)

Quoting Lorik1969:

I don't know what state you live in, but I don't know of any cities in my state that allow public nudity. On private property you can erect a fence and run around as naked as the day you were born. You can't put a fence up on public land. So again, public property=state or federal. Private property=do what you want. Next time they can bring portable poles and dot the entire landscape for all I care.

Quoting stormcris:

Nudist can run through the park if the law allows for nudity and some townships do. That is a matter of laws in that area. You also could not run around nude on private property in view of others unless the law permits it.

Quoting Lorik1969:

A permit is irrelevant. Nudists with a permit can't run naked through the park. It is still public property, paid for by the taxpayers. The only flag on a public flagpole should be for the state or country. On private property, do whatever you want.

Quoting stormcris:

I wouldn't give two reds cents where or not those were put up. Public property that is permitted out for events does not function like a court house and therefore the ideas that they would be supporting a religion would not apply so no constitutional violation. You would have to take it down after your event as would anyone who put up anything. The only way this would conflict with the constitution is if they allowed only certain religious groups to use the park or told one religion they could put up their stuff and wouldn't allow it for another. What people or groups personally display during their time of rightful use is not reflective of the government promoting a religion.

Quoting Lorik1969:

That doesn't answer the question, and it's still public property.

Quoting stormcris:

The park is permitted out and therefore you technically could put it up during an event.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:11 AM
I've seen the Fremont Parade!

Quoting Shoota:

I just went to gay pride in Seattle last week, and saw many naked or half naked people walking around. In Seattle we also have the Fremont Parade, that is basically naked people riding bikes. We also have a no pants ride day on the light rail.  We like to get naked a lot up here :)

Quoting Lorik1969:

I don't know what state you live in, but I don't know of any cities in my state that allow public nudity. On private property you can erect a fence and run around as naked as the day you were born. You can't put a fence up on public land. So again, public property=state or federal. Private property=do what you want. Next time they can bring portable poles and dot the entire landscape for all I care.

Quoting stormcris:

Nudist can run through the park if the law allows for nudity and some townships do. That is a matter of laws in that area. You also could not run around nude on private property in view of others unless the law permits it.

Quoting Lorik1969:

A permit is irrelevant. Nudists with a permit can't run naked through the park. It is still public property, paid for by the taxpayers. The only flag on a public flagpole should be for the state or country. On private property, do whatever you want.

Quoting stormcris:

I wouldn't give two reds cents where or not those were put up. Public property that is permitted out for events does not function like a court house and therefore the ideas that they would be supporting a religion would not apply so no constitutional violation. You would have to take it down after your event as would anyone who put up anything. The only way this would conflict with the constitution is if they allowed only certain religious groups to use the park or told one religion they could put up their stuff and wouldn't allow it for another. What people or groups personally display during their time of rightful use is not reflective of the government promoting a religion.

Quoting Lorik1969:

That doesn't answer the question, and it's still public property.

Quoting stormcris:

The park is permitted out and therefore you technically could put it up during an event.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN