Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

Posted by   + Show Post

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

(Credit: CNN)

A city councilman in Louisiana is drafting a new set of ordinances that would ban the flying of rainbow flags on any public property after a constituent took umbrage with one such flag that was raised by a local LGBT organization.

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.

Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.

Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:

Quote:

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that, Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Opponents of the proposed ordinance say no disrespect was intended, and were quick to point out that there are thousands of gay veterans who have fought for their country as well.

Green told the paper that while he is not “against the gays,” he is opposed to “the act itself.”

There already exists a firm set of federal laws that govern the flying of the American flag on public property, including a provision that says no flag may fly higher than the American flag on the same property. Organizers of the Pride in the Park event say that no American flags were removed while hoisting their own flag.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I understand having no flag fly above the American flag.  I am all for that, any where at any time.

This old man who has an issue with the rainbow flag is banking on his being a veteran to work in his favor.  In my opinion, his being a veteran means nothing in this instance.   

Guess he only fought for those he finds worthy.  Rather sad.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why do we have to make a law to outlaw anything that doesnt fit our personal preferences?

Saggy pants, flags, xmas displays...whatever happened to just forming an opinion and moving on with your life?

That is not enough for many.  When they are offended they run off to the local paper, their local politicians, demanding others take note of their senses and adhere to what ever it takes to keep their little world safe.

Crotchity old man.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I have gay family and friends and I support their right to love whoever they want and marry and have families etc and have equal rights in every facet of life. HOWEVER, I am upset that the color spectrum is now considered the lgbt symbol. In jr.high I loved rainbow paraphenelia...socks, posters, kites, stickers...now rainbow stuff is all considered to be a symbol of equality, instead of just pretty colors. I don't like to see the rainbow flown as sexual equality and gender identity symbolism. Wish it was an actual design with a seal or motif...
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I've personally never see anything other than a state flag on the same pole as the American flag. If they want to fly a flag on a different pole, have at it. To fly it on the same pole as the American flag strikes me as inappropriate since this countries name is not LGBT and they are not a state either.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
What about he Christian flag being flown?

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

so you never seen the POW flag that sometimes flies under the state flag in some places.

Quoting meriana:

I've personally never see anything other than a state flag on the same pole as the American flag. If they want to fly a flag on a different pole, have at it. To fly it on the same pole as the American flag strikes me as inappropriate since this countries name is not LGBT and they are not a state either.

CafeMom Tickers
Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Not on a publically owned flagpole.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

What about he Christian flag being flown?

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

No Veteran fights for only those who are worthy.  Vetarans have given their lives so that people would have the freedoms to do as they please, even attack them for defending this country.   This story has absoltutely nothing to do with the fact that the man who complained is a Veteran.  He complained simply because he evidently doesn't approve of gays or the flying of their flag.  A teacher could have been the one complaining, but that wouldn't make this about teachers not accepting others way of life....just one teacher, one person,  who had a problem with it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I understand having no flag fly above the American flag.  I am all for that, any where at any time.

This old man who has an issue with the rainbow flag is banking on his being a veteran to work in his favor.  In my opinion, his being a veteran means nothing in this instance.   

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Quoting Looking4Truth:

No Veteran fights for only those who are worthy.  Vetarans have given their lives so that people would have the freedoms to do as they please, even attack them for defending this country.   This story has absoltutely nothing to do with the fact that the man who complained is a Veteran.  He complained simply because he evidently doesn't approve of gays or the flying of their flag.  A teacher could have been the one complaining, but that wouldn't make this about teachers not accepting others way of life....just one teacher, one person,  who had a problem with it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Where did I say 'all Veterans'?  I am speaking as to this one individual.

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Technically, that would be a miliary flag. The military is part of the government and the flag encompases ALL who sacrificed for our country.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

so you never seen the POW flag that sometimes flies under the state flag in some places.

Quoting meriana:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN