Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

Posted by   + Show Post

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

(Credit: CNN)

A city councilman in Louisiana is drafting a new set of ordinances that would ban the flying of rainbow flags on any public property after a constituent took umbrage with one such flag that was raised by a local LGBT organization.

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.

Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.

Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:

Quote:

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that, Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Opponents of the proposed ordinance say no disrespect was intended, and were quick to point out that there are thousands of gay veterans who have fought for their country as well.

Green told the paper that while he is not “against the gays,” he is opposed to “the act itself.”

There already exists a firm set of federal laws that govern the flying of the American flag on public property, including a provision that says no flag may fly higher than the American flag on the same property. Organizers of the Pride in the Park event say that no American flags were removed while hoisting their own flag.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
cathygymboree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

What about the flag dedicated to heterosexuality?  And traditional marriage?  Where are those flags?

You'll never see them. Too offensive.

Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't this the same thing that people have done to Christians?  In fact, isn't this exactly the same thing?  How did the word God suddenly become against the law in some places or the Nativity Display etc?  It's because some "crotchity" old athiest raised a stink.  So if it's ok for the athiests to complain and get their way, why shouldn't an elderly Veteran who was willing to give his life for this country not have the same right?  Just saying....... 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why do we have to make a law to outlaw anything that doesnt fit our personal preferences?

Saggy pants, flags, xmas displays...whatever happened to just forming an opinion and moving on with your life?

That is not enough for many.  When they are offended they run off to the local paper, their local politicians, demanding others take note of their senses and adhere to what ever it takes to keep their little world safe.

Crotchity old man.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Do heterosexuals have a flag?

Quoting cathygymboree:

What about the flag dedicated to heterosexuality?  And traditional marriage?  Where are those flags?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Isn't this the same thing that people have done to Christians?  In fact, isn't this exactly the same thing?  How did the word God suddenly become against the law in some places or the Nativity Display etc?  It's because some "crotchity" old athiest raised a stink.  So if it's ok for the athiests to complain and get their way, why shouldn't an elderly Veteran for was willing to give his life for this country not have the same right?  Just saying....... 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why do we have to make a law to outlaw anything that doesnt fit our personal preferences?

Saggy pants, flags, xmas displays...whatever happened to just forming an opinion and moving on with your life?

That is not enough for many.  When they are offended they run off to the local paper, their local politicians, demanding others take note of their senses and adhere to what ever it takes to keep their little world safe.

Crotchity old man.

Oh my.  You are looking for a fight, aren't you? lol  Sorry, not interested.

Besides, you still have yet to back up what you claimed to be fact and true in another thread.     That speaks volumes.

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I don't know what state you live in, but I don't know of any cities in my state that allow public nudity. On private property you can erect a fence and run around as naked as the day you were born. You can't put a fence up on public land. So again, public property=state or federal. Private property=do what you want. Next time they can bring portable poles and dot the entire landscape for all I care.

Quoting stormcris:

Nudist can run through the park if the law allows for nudity and some townships do. That is a matter of laws in that area. You also could not run around nude on private property in view of others unless the law permits it.

Quoting Lorik1969:

A permit is irrelevant. Nudists with a permit can't run naked through the park. It is still public property, paid for by the taxpayers. The only flag on a public flagpole should be for the state or country. On private property, do whatever you want.

Quoting stormcris:

I wouldn't give two reds cents where or not those were put up. Public property that is permitted out for events does not function like a court house and therefore the ideas that they would be supporting a religion would not apply so no constitutional violation. You would have to take it down after your event as would anyone who put up anything. The only way this would conflict with the constitution is if they allowed only certain religious groups to use the park or told one religion they could put up their stuff and wouldn't allow it for another. What people or groups personally display during their time of rightful use is not reflective of the government promoting a religion.

Quoting Lorik1969:

That doesn't answer the question, and it's still public property.

Quoting stormcris:

The park is permitted out and therefore you technically could put it up during an event.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Quoting cathygymboree:

What flags are these?

Can you post photos?

I'd love to seem them.

And for the record, if there are such flags, I have no issue with them being raised, as long as they are not above the American flag.

As for the public property end of this, if permission is granted, by permit or otherwise, I see no issue with any flag at all.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM
No. Non Christians are finally finding their voice in this society and they realizing they are powerful. Some Christians are threatened by this.
Some Christians fight tooth and nail for government to keep out of their religion but when attempts to remove/prevent religion in government suddenly it's non-Christians raising a stink.
I'm Catholic and I don't think there should be any religious representation on government owned property.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Isn't this the same thing that people have done to Christians?  In fact, isn't this exactly the same thing?  How did the word God suddenly become against the law in some places or the Nativity Display etc?  It's because some "crotchity" old athiest raised a stink.  So if it's ok for the athiests to complain and get their way, why shouldn't an elderly Veteran who was willing to give his life for this country not have the same right?  Just saying....... 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Crotchity old man.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

There are various cities that allow public nudity. 

This ordinace would prevent them from having the flags at all, even the tiny ones. But, they are still going to allow Acadian and Mardi Gras flags.

Quoting Lorik1969:

I don't know what state you live in, but I don't know of any cities in my state that allow public nudity. On private property you can erect a fence and run around as naked as the day you were born. You can't put a fence up on public land. So again, public property=state or federal. Private property=do what you want. Next time they can bring portable poles and dot the entire landscape for all I care.

Quoting stormcris:

Nudist can run through the park if the law allows for nudity and some townships do. That is a matter of laws in that area. You also could not run around nude on private property in view of others unless the law permits it.

Quoting Lorik1969:

A permit is irrelevant. Nudists with a permit can't run naked through the park. It is still public property, paid for by the taxpayers. The only flag on a public flagpole should be for the state or country. On private property, do whatever you want.

Quoting stormcris:

I wouldn't give two reds cents where or not those were put up. Public property that is permitted out for events does not function like a court house and therefore the ideas that they would be supporting a religion would not apply so no constitutional violation. You would have to take it down after your event as would anyone who put up anything. The only way this would conflict with the constitution is if they allowed only certain religious groups to use the park or told one religion they could put up their stuff and wouldn't allow it for another. What people or groups personally display during their time of rightful use is not reflective of the government promoting a religion.

Quoting Lorik1969:

That doesn't answer the question, and it's still public property.

Quoting stormcris:

The park is permitted out and therefore you technically could put it up during an event.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Are you okay with the Nativity, or a cross, being displayed on public property?

Quoting autodidact:

how would that be legal? it's freedom of expression. sorry that one veteran has issues with that concept, but tough shit. 

enlightened_24
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there are too many closet homos out there. I also think people are too GD SENSITIVE. If you dont like it, dont supported it, but dont hate it either.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

so you never seen the POW flag that sometimes flies under the state flag in some places.

Quoting meriana:

I've personally never see anything other than a state flag on the same pole as the American flag. If they want to fly a flag on a different pole, have at it. To fly it on the same pole as the American flag strikes me as inappropriate since this countries name is not LGBT and they are not a state either.

No, actually I haven't but then it could be I just wasn't any place where there were flag poles on the days it would have been flown as ordered by Congress:

Armed Forces Day; Memorial Day; Flag Day; Independence Day; Veterans Day

There is a very definite flag ETIQUETTE to flying it also as seen here:

http://www.indianarollingthunder.com/powmiaflagetiquette.html

The LGBT flag is not the national flag, a particular state flag and it doesn't represent the armed forces, pow's or mia's . It has not been given recognition by Congress as the POW flag has and has no particular etiquette assigned to it by Congress, therefore it is inappropriate to fly it on the same flag pole the American (National) flag and state flags are flown from

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN