Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

Posted by   + Show Post

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

(Credit: CNN)

A city councilman in Louisiana is drafting a new set of ordinances that would ban the flying of rainbow flags on any public property after a constituent took umbrage with one such flag that was raised by a local LGBT organization.

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.

Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.

Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:

Quote:

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that, Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Opponents of the proposed ordinance say no disrespect was intended, and were quick to point out that there are thousands of gay veterans who have fought for their country as well.

Green told the paper that while he is not “against the gays,” he is opposed to “the act itself.”

There already exists a firm set of federal laws that govern the flying of the American flag on public property, including a provision that says no flag may fly higher than the American flag on the same property. Organizers of the Pride in the Park event say that no American flags were removed while hoisting their own flag.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM
In trying to figure out who is funnier - the old man or the poster who is complaining about gays and lesbians usurping the rainbow for their own use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM
What about the gay men and women fighting for our country?

I'd like to poke someone in the eye with a little rainbow flag over this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
layman75
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

So if a scout group has a meeting at the park, no boy scout or girl scout flag can be flown? No VFW, American Legion or other flag when they are having a memorial service?? Not one of them are a government flag so they are all outlawed.

I see the idiots are trying to pass laws again without thinking first, as my husband likes to say "Hopefully there is a loud pop soon when their head is removed from their rear end"

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I am aware of flag etiquette being in the girls scout its one of the things you learn. Here in Mass some places never take it*meaning the pow flags* down and its weird during none of those holidays you never seen it. Specially with Independence day just passing.   Anyways I don't see a problem with it seeing how lots of states don't even honor flag etiquette by taking the flag down at night if its not illuminated. Burning it properly if it starts to look ragged. Pretty much doing what your supposed to do. Then again people like to pick and choose when it fits them.  In the end as a tax paying citizen I don't really care if someone hangs a rainbow flag on PUBLIC property as long as its below the American one.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

so you never seen the POW flag that sometimes flies under the state flag in some places.

Quoting meriana:

I've personally never see anything other than a state flag on the same pole as the American flag. If they want to fly a flag on a different pole, have at it. To fly it on the same pole as the American flag strikes me as inappropriate since this countries name is not LGBT and they are not a state either.

No, actually I haven't but then it could be I just wasn't any place where there were flag poles on the days it would have been flown as ordered by Congress:

Armed Forces Day; Memorial Day; Flag Day; Independence Day; Veterans Day

There is a very definite flag ETIQUETTE to flying it also as seen here:

http://www.indianarollingthunder.com/powmiaflagetiquette.html

The LGBT flag is not the national flag, a particular state flag and it doesn't represent the armed forces, pow's or mia's . It has not been given recognition by Congress as the POW flag has and has no particular etiquette assigned to it by Congress, therefore it is inappropriate to fly it on the same flag pole the American (National) flag and state flags are flown from

CafeMom Tickers
Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not anti-Gay but I see their point. It should only be government flags....thats almost like allowing religious aticles on the flag or flag post.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting layman75:

So if a scout group has a meeting at the park, no boy scout or girl scout flag can be flown? No VFW, American Legion or other flag when they are having a memorial service?? Not one of them are a government flag so they are all outlawed.

I see the idiots are trying to pass laws again without thinking first, as my husband likes to say "Hopefully there is a loud pop soon when their head is removed from their rear end"

The groups mentioned are veterans groups or are known to be patriotic in nature, however the LGBT flag represents what: sexual orientation. There's a difference. It could be the city councilman is proposing no non-governmental flags in public venues so that they don't get hit with discrimination suits.  

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The only flags that should be flown in government owned(federal and local), buddings, flagpoles etc should be  solely limited to the American flag in all it's forms through time and the Confederate Flag.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exadtly right.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The only flags that should be flown in government owned(federal and local), buddings, flagpoles etc should be  solely limited to the American flag in all it's forms through time and the Confederate Flag.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Many see being gay almost as being part of a religion.

Quoting Lili0509:

I am not anti-Gay but I see their point. It should only be government flags....thats almost like allowing religious aticles on the flag or flag post.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

wow, be careful your tolerance is showing.

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

What about the gay men and women fighting for our country?

I'd like to poke someone in the eye with a little rainbow flag over this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN