Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christians Angry That Tonto Is Pagan In 'Lone Ranger' Film

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 189 Replies

Christians Angry That Tonto Is Pagan In 'Lone Ranger' Film

article image

The new "Lone Ranger" film has been a critical and box office disappointment, but the fact that the Indian character "Tonto" is not a Christian has upset some Christian conservatives.

Dr. Ted Baehr of the Christian Film and Television Coalition is also upset that the U.S. government is portrayed as "bad" and the army is show killing Indians, which is historically accurate.

"The government is bad – the army is killing Indians – the bad guy is a businessman, the military-industrial complex is bad,"complained Dr. Baehr in his review on Movieguide.

"The pagan elements triumph because you're looking at it from Tanto's [sic] point of view. It's not Buddhism, it's not Hinduism, it's a mishmash."

Focus on the Family's movie review site Pluggedin.com also slammed Tonto for not being a Christian: “Tonto's worldview, meanwhile, is awash in Native American spirituality. As mentioned, he believes the white horse (Silver) is a spirit horse."

"John becomes a spirit walker. Everything's filled with magic and portent. Even the dead crow Tonto wears on his head is a talisman: He 'feeds' the thing, and every now and then it moves."

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM
5 moms liked this
I hate religion.
SalemWitchChild
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
21 moms liked this

How dare they accurately portray historic facts! sticking out tongue

lga1965
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Why should Tonto be a Christian? Can't people just watch a movie wth the old traditional characters that have been around for over 50 years and not get all bent out of shape? There was no mention of religion when I was a kid and the Lone Ranger was on TV.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

OK, noted.  This guy prefers a "white washed" movie.  Next?

~"Free the child's potential, and you will transform both the child and the world."

Dr. Maria Montessori~

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
6 moms liked this

lmao @ the dipshit christians

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM
4 moms liked this
So they're angry that the movie portrayed history accurately?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
4 moms liked this
Well, the government did orchestrate the murder of millions of native americans. And, I could be way off base here, but it was not common for native americans to be buddhist or hindu. The native americans did in fact have their own spiritual beliefs that varied among the tribes.
TexanMomOf6
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't like the movie, don't watch it!!! I don't like listening to your damn christmas music every year but I don't tell you that you have no right to play it. I just turn it off. Problem solved.

karisma22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG!  These people really need to get over it.  Native Americans were not Christians, so why should the movie portray Tonto as a Christian?  How dare they portray any historical accurancy!  

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Um Duh! Please go sit down somewhere you must have heatstroke. It would not be Buddhism or Hinduism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)