Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christians Angry That Tonto Is Pagan In 'Lone Ranger' Film

Posted by   + Show Post

Christians Angry That Tonto Is Pagan In 'Lone Ranger' Film

article image

The new "Lone Ranger" film has been a critical and box office disappointment, but the fact that the Indian character "Tonto" is not a Christian has upset some Christian conservatives.

Dr. Ted Baehr of the Christian Film and Television Coalition is also upset that the U.S. government is portrayed as "bad" and the army is show killing Indians, which is historically accurate.

"The government is bad – the army is killing Indians – the bad guy is a businessman, the military-industrial complex is bad,"complained Dr. Baehr in his review on Movieguide.

"The pagan elements triumph because you're looking at it from Tanto's [sic] point of view. It's not Buddhism, it's not Hinduism, it's a mishmash."

Focus on the Family's movie review site Pluggedin.com also slammed Tonto for not being a Christian: “Tonto's worldview, meanwhile, is awash in Native American spirituality. As mentioned, he believes the white horse (Silver) is a spirit horse."

"John becomes a spirit walker. Everything's filled with magic and portent. Even the dead crow Tonto wears on his head is a talisman: He 'feeds' the thing, and every now and then it moves."

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Replies (181-189):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Oh that's right - I forgot atheists.

Quoting ashellbell:

Or atheist.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Or gays/lesbians.....

Quoting ashellbell:

We're making progress, she usually blames Obama.

Quoting shannonnigans:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the movie is not performing up to expectations, the producers need a scapegoat, and they're blaming Christians? Is that an accurate summation of what you're saying?

Quoting candlegal:

The Christians aren't the angry ones.   It sounds like the ones that aren't making any money with this movie are the angry ones.

Quoting lovemymini:

I'm Chirstian and not angry, it's a Disney movie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I know that disney is based off  and actually I read a lot of real grimm, anderson and perrault as a kid and it didn't scar me for life.  I am not saying that you have to let your kids watch things, that's fine.  Good for you to monitor what your kids watch.  I just have a problem with this idiot who is upset that something in a movie is not to his personal taste you shouldn't see it.  I won't see it personally because it looks stupid imo, but I have no problems with the content. 

Quoting tooptimistic:

:)  Most Disney movies are based off Grimms, Perrault or Anderson. The original versions of Grimms, Perrault and Anderson are not suitable for small children, imo.

If you don't want your children watching Veggie Tales (just as an example) because of religious beliefs, I am ok with that.  It wouldn't make me angry.

I don't care what is in Lone Ranger, I can either to choose to see it or not.  With the terrible reviews its is getting, I will wait to see it on Netflix in a few years.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Well don't read the real versions of Grimm's Fairy tales, Charles Perrault or Hans Christian Anderson.  If you feel witchcraft is against your beliefs, would you have a problem if others feel that christianity is against their beliefs?  You can't get angry if they don't like your religion.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Whats it to you what my 6, 4 and 2 year old watch? 

My family is Christian, and witchcraft  is against our religious beliefs.  Again, whats it to you or anyone else?

I don't care what they put in movies.  I have a choice to see them or not.  There are certain movies choose for my children not to see.  I am their mom, and it my right.

Quoting mikiemom:

all of those are fantastic movies - to each their own.  But witchcraft is not inherrently evil or bad.

Quoting tooptimistic:

The Black Cauldron, Sleeping Beauty,  Hocus Pocus,  Mulan, Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland..

There are so many good cartoons that teach morals and how to good people that doesn't include lying, witches etc.

Which disney movies do you find disturbing - the ones that teach children about morals and how to be good people, seriously this is just crazy town thought process.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

LOL!

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

How dare they accurately portray historic facts! sticking out tongue

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

aandt1999
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

IT'S. A. MOVIE. 

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Both movie rewiew blogs are aimed at a very specific audience.    Its just two opinions.. Not the the opinion of Christians in general.  :) 

Quoting valhallaarwen:

I know that disney is based off  and actually I read a lot of real grimm, anderson and perrault as a kid and it didn't scar me for life.  I am not saying that you have to let your kids watch things, that's fine.  Good for you to monitor what your kids watch.  I just have a problem with this idiot who is upset that something in a movie is not to his personal taste you shouldn't see it.  I won't see it personally because it looks stupid imo, but I have no problems with the content. 

Quoting tooptimistic:

:)  Most Disney movies are based off Grimms, Perrault or Anderson. The original versions of Grimms, Perrault and Anderson are not suitable for small children, imo.

If you don't want your children watching Veggie Tales (just as an example) because of religious beliefs, I am ok with that.  It wouldn't make me angry.

I don't care what is in Lone Ranger, I can either to choose to see it or not.  With the terrible reviews its is getting, I will wait to see it on Netflix in a few years.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Well don't read the real versions of Grimm's Fairy tales, Charles Perrault or Hans Christian Anderson.  If you feel witchcraft is against your beliefs, would you have a problem if others feel that christianity is against their beliefs?  You can't get angry if they don't like your religion.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Whats it to you what my 6, 4 and 2 year old watch? 

My family is Christian, and witchcraft  is against our religious beliefs.  Again, whats it to you or anyone else?

I don't care what they put in movies.  I have a choice to see them or not.  There are certain movies choose for my children not to see.  I am their mom, and it my right.

Quoting mikiemom:

all of those are fantastic movies - to each their own.  But witchcraft is not inherrently evil or bad.

Quoting tooptimistic:

The Black Cauldron, Sleeping Beauty,  Hocus Pocus,  Mulan, Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland..

There are so many good cartoons that teach morals and how to good people that doesn't include lying, witches etc.

Which disney movies do you find disturbing - the ones that teach children about morals and how to be good people, seriously this is just crazy town thought process.

copasetic1
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

any group that believes their religion is the only possible reality and all others must conform to it, or they are being persecuted, is delusionsal. They are supposed to worship Jesus. He said love everyone, if you have enough for yourself you should help others with the rest, don't judge, etc etc. They hate a LOT of people, they worship the rich, and they judge everyone (except themselves). They are a tiny minority who want to force their extremism down everyone else's throats. They have become the kind of people Jesus rebelled against.

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes I understand that it is aimed at a specific audience and I know not all christians think that way.  I know it is just two opinions, but honestly Dr. Baehr should know that the show did not have Tonto as a christian so why would the movie have him that way?  He is a denier imo of the true american history of native americans and he can't stand it when a movie tells the truth about the history of a people.  Not all american history was good.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Both movie rewiew blogs are aimed at a very specific audience.    Its just two opinions.. Not the the opinion of Christians in general.  :) 

sallymaggie
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I would kindly like it if you did RESEARCH whitchcraft is not always EVIL don't get me wrong you can mess some things up with black magic but the whole practice is not evil! 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I was using the word, "magic" in the general sense to describe movie scenes where unnatural things happen, which I fully understand is distinguishable from "magick" (a Crowley thing, usually), in the evil sense.  

And yes...witchcraft/magick/satanism is the very definition of the practice of evil.   

A lot of your posts now make more sense, and I rarely even note names, except for those consistently full of particular themes that make them stand out.  Interesting.

Quoting mikiemom:

So, that's a normal part of life it always has been, there is nothing wrong with magick (spelled with a K), spells and witchcraft. It may not be how you do things or what you believe but it's not bad or evil or wrong in any way.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Disney movies always have magic, spells, and witchcraft-type elements in them. 

Pagan. 

Quoting mikiemom:

what does this mean? Are you saying that Disney, tends to try and accurately portray cultures.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Eh, it's Disney.  No surprise there. 

sallymaggie
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

This is why I choose a religion that is not based on FEAR! Native Americans are not normally christian now I'm sure there are a few that are becasue that is how they were raised but most of them are not (I'm native I know). It's a movie and should not matter what Tonto's background is! I can't stand this post there is so much hate and many things ripping apart my believes and the religion I'm converting to (I had no set religion prior) plus the practice of witchcraft which is something I believe in (for good, NEVEr evil). People need to just stop this it's getting to be kinda stupid if you ask me! 

on a lighter note i love tonto simply becasue he is Johnny Depp! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)