Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

article image

An 11-year-old Chilean girl who was raped by her mother’s boyfriend can't get an abortion, despite the fact that doctors warned the pregnancy poses a threat to her health. Abortion under any circumstances has been illegal in the highly conservative country since 1973.

Her mother’s boyfriend confessed to sexually abusing the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant, over the last two years. He is now in police custody.

Now that the girl’s case has been made public, those who oppose the ban are standing behind her and asking that the ban make exceptions in the case of women who are raped or when the mother’s health is at risk. A petition was even started online to make exceptions to the ban.

"The Chilean elite is very conservative and this has had an influence in Congress," said Chilean political scientist Patricio Navia. "Laws, therefore, change at a much slower pace than the rest of Chilean society. Because society is much less conservative than it was 15 or 20 years ago."

Chile is one of six countries in the world, including Vatican City, which has a total ban on abortion. The ban was instated by Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship, and in the last year the current conservative administration has shot down three bills that would modify the ban. 

“It’s the first online petition I’ve signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion,” Chilean web designer Eduardo Hernandez, 30, told the Associated Press. “When I heard about this little girl, my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it’s the best option in this case.”

Front-running in the country’s upcoming election, former president Michele Bachelet, said on Twitter that she plans to work to decriminalize abortion for rape victims if elected.

Last year, a 31-year-old woman died in Ireland after being denied an abortion in a Catholic hospital, although numerous doctors confirmed that an abortion would have saved her life. Savita Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks pregnant before her death, was allegedly told by a senior midwife at an Irish hospital that they could not terminate her dying baby because “it's a Catholic thing.”

Sources: ThinkProgress, Newser

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

this story sounds very familiar and I'm saddened to think it's happened to such a young girl more than once.

Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Its my Gods will who dies, when they will die and how. It does not say she is in immediate danger, just that its a risky pregnancy, they told me the same when I became pregnant at 16. NO---- I do not think its right, but Im being postitve and have faith that she will be ok.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

So it will be your God's will if she dies as a result of this pregnancy, a result of having been raped?

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM
14 moms liked this

Forcing an 11 year old girl to birth the product of her RAPE has zero to do with any person's god. It's a damned tragedy.

Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh ok, thats true.....similar to the extremists that give Muslims a bad name and then the ignorant will say all Muslims are evil. Sorry, I felt you were attacking the religious as a whole, but I see and agree with your point.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Not hating on the religious. Many, if not the majority of religious people would find this story awful. The god squad is a certain bunch of women on this site known for defending anything, no matter how reprehensible, if it is in the name of religion.

Quoting Lili0509:

God squad? God doesn't want little girls to be raped...God doesn't want us to suffer. Why are people always hating on religion? I don't hate on those anti-religious....this is sad period, for the sake of this little girl.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Waiting for the god squad to defend. Or deflect.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a threat to her health. Pick one. Her health or an embryo.

Quoting Lili0509:

Its my Gods will who dies, when they will die and how. It does not say she is in immediate danger, just that its a risky pregnancy, they told me the same when I became pregnant at 16. NO---- I do not think its right, but Im being postitve and have faith that she will be ok.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

So it will be your God's will if she dies as a result of this pregnancy, a result of having been raped?

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM
You don't know what other medical issues are present in this child to make the pregnancy so dangerous.

That's like saying, "I have cancer but its god's will if I live or die so I'm not doing chemo."

Quoting Lili0509:

Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Read the thread.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting Lili0509:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting Lili0509:

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Lili0509:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting Lili0509:

Apparently it was your godz will that another 11 year old girl died from undiagnosed and untreated diabetes, in Wisconson, I think I recall.

It was the court's will that the parents be convicted of murder, and sentenced to prison for it. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I did, but I want your take. Health and safety of 11year old raoe victim, or the embryo of her rapist. Which one?

Quoting Lili0509:

Read the thread.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting Lili0509:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting Lili0509:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No,  the story doesn't mention anything else, Im basing my answer on what the article says.

And no, its not because cancer spreads and kills off the healthy cells, there is no stopping it unless chemo, radiation or surgery is available and even then, the cancer could return. My grandmother died of cancer, do not compare it to that because I have in no way said that I think its ok, if you read my replies in full. There have many many young girls that have had their babies and are ok, do I think its ok, no. Do I think its ok for a child to be raped, no. Im just saying that given the circumstances, she will be ok, God willing.

Every teen pregnancy is considered a risk, I've read on other posts where you have stated you are in the medical field. I would have guessed you knew this already.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

You don't know what other medical issues are present in this child to make the pregnancy so dangerous.

That's like saying, "I have cancer but its god's will if I live or die so I'm not doing chemo."

Quoting Lili0509:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN